A "News" plugin for players to see what's new...

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Sketaful, Dec 29, 2012.

1. I miss a plugin that could work as a news reporter.

The way I'd like it is that when a player logs in he gets a message in the chat that says something like "There is news since your last login" Where "news" is in another color to be easier to spot.

The player then just typs /news in the chat and the oldest unread news are shown. For each time he types /news in the chat it shows the next oldest unread news.

This way the player can keep up with all the things that happens on the server and when a player logs in and there is no new news since his last login it should just say something like "There is no news since your last visit".

An easy way for the admin to write news would be great to of course. Either through command ingame or by writing each news in its own .txt document in the pluginfolder (or perhaps a folder chosen in the config to easier also show the news on a webpage). If so the .txt could just be named with the current date or something.

Also miss some kind of chat/text-driven bulletin board. ^^

Well, just my ideas as usual.

/Cheers

2. Offline

Zoroark173

This is sort-of possible with the MOTD.

3. But I don't want "sort-of" ;)

4. Offline

valon750

I could make you something somewhat like this.

Players could log in, then get a message reminding them to check /news to see if there's something new, then they can type /news, and get say, 5 bits of news, which the admin can set in the config.

Does that sound like something you'd like?

Sketaful likes this.
  5. That sound like something more like it. :)
    I am grateful for the offer, I have managed to get my hand on a solution thought. But thanks. :)

6. Offline

valon750

Oh that's quite alright :)

Sketaful likes this.
  7. Offline

penguinben

Valon, may I ask a favour of you, and ask that you carry on with this idea if you may?
    MOTD can get rather long with important news!:p

Many thanks,
    Ben

8. Offline

valon750

Sure I should be able to, not had any other ideas for plugins at the moment so this'll keep me busy for a bit :3

Sketaful likes this.
  9. Offline

penguinben

Thanks!:D

10. Offline

valon750

Just a heads up in case the PM I sent you didn't go through, I've made the plugin and a link to the file in in the post!

Hope it's what you wanted :3