A discussion about plugins vs Vanilla

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by zipron, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

zipron

Since a few updates, we've seen many cool features added, not only for SMP but for mapmakers, redstone engineers,.. Sethbling just released a new pvp map for vanilla minecraft without any mods or plugins. I am working on automated shops (read: no more iConomy?), others are doing crazy stuff with MCEdit or ingame commandblocks.

Just wanted to know others opinions: do you think plugins like we know them know won't be needed anymore in the near future? Of course I'm talking about ingame plugins: plugins which change or "add" (use existing) game machanics, plugins for the players themselves, not admin plugins to eg. handle permissions, use a whitelisted database,..

With the things I've seen the last few months, I really believe many plugins will (or are already) not needed anymore. (thanks Dinnerbone ?)

zip

2. Offline

brinaq

I will hold on tight to mah plugins and never let go. I don't think plugins could be taken away because they cannot implement every single feature of a plugin into Minecraft! Plus then not every server would be unique.

3. Offline

-_Husky_-

Plugins are a main part in running a server, your combination gives a result that might be either good or bad, and makes the servers we see unique and possible.

It is very fine to be able to make automatic shops or make clocks from redstone, I know I love it and am good at it, but plugins change the game, like garrys mod, it gets boring as 'vanilla', but mods make it more fun and bring new possibility forward.

If there was no plugins availiable, how are we meant to be unique?

4. Offline

bryce325

More features in minecraft just mean more options for plugin makers ;)

5. Offline

Necrodoom

you cannot modify the world with commandblocks.
    you cannot create virtual economy with villager traders.
    you cannot allow players to create shops with villager traders.
    redstone is extremely ineffective compared to a craftbook IC in terms of resources

i dont think plugins will be gone any time soon. remember that plugins can change things that ingame items can never hope to do so.

6. Offline

deltahat

I run a server that plays nearly like vanilla. While vanilla Minecraft is great, it is anything but secure. I need plugins to ensure players don't destroy the world.

7. Offline

zipron

what about only letting players play on your server who you trust? I run a vanilla server, the only plugin I use is my own to let players register on the website before they can join. They have to apply, show some screenshots, tell their age and explain their motivation before I even decide if they can join or not. A good minecraft server isn't about how many players you have walking around, it's about a strong community.

Maybe my opinion about plugins is not universal, because I do like the vanilla game expierience, but f.e. pvp maps like dwarves vs zombies is now fully playable in pure vanilla MC. What about those things?

8. Offline

Necrodoom

my previous server was public, and was advertised around every server list yet it only got around 5 unique players per day.
    such a harsh entry barrier would pretty much completely void these.
    also, bukkit plugins are not just for changing gameplay, they are about making it secure, since minecraft vanilla anticheat is really low, PVP is quite destroyed if it was not for anticheat plugins.

9. Offline

zipron

Oh sure, I wasn't talking about admin plugins as I mentioned. Question is what you want? A bunch of players griefing everything or a small strong community?

10. Offline

Necrodoom

the problem is that the small community shrinks to nothing, no one online.

basically, while you can do some stuff with vanilla items, they are horribly ineffective and can take up a massive amount of space (EX: redstone circuits VS craftbook) vanilla has its advantages but its not going to be enough to be attractive to people IMO.

11. Offline

zipron

It is attractive to me =D The reason why is because when I make a redstone machine, I've accomplished something myself without any help of plugins :)
    About communities: I think that depends on your goals with a server. I see no reason in making a server with huge amount of people only for the reason "because I have a bigged server than you". If you enjoy eg. pvp server, the more people the better, for sure. But the kind of gameplay I enjoy: pure vanilla, means that I don't really care if I have 2 friends online or 20. But I'm sure that depends from person to person.

zip

12. Offline

Stevensaurus

Not everything can be done with Command Blocks. You'll always need plugins, you can only do so much without server/client add-ons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.