World for new players

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by GhostToast, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

GhostToast

This is somewhat of an extension off of a thread I posted here:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/quest-for-build-rights.6780/

But in a different direction.
    The goal is to create an achievable task for new players to overcome before they gain access to the "real" playing environment (as far as building, etc.) but to not force players, once achieving this, to jump through that hoop repeatedly. This is in a hope to thwart griefers who will otherwise simply move on to browner pastures rather than invest the time to reach the green ones.

Idea: A "newb" world. It is small, somewhat maze-like, and enclosed. It is indestructible, and at the end of it is a warp which takes you to the "real" world. The gate is 1-directional.

My question is this. What determines where someone spawns? In what world? I would want brand new players to spawn in "newb" world, and if they should somehow die in that world, I would want them to continue to spawn there.

Upon reaching the end of "newb" world, they would warp to "real" world, where I would want them to spawn forever-more. Thoughts?

2. Offline

Plague

Hmm you could use a plugin that lets people spawn after death somewhere and use the original spawn (i.e. where it puts new people) as the newb area, but you'd have to disable kill.

If the newb->player was done by you, you can just use some spawn plugin that has groups of player with different spawns.

3. Offline

GhostToast

ideally what i'd like is a plugin that can hook somehow on an event and do a promotion from one player group to another. i don't know the first thing about writing plugins though.

4. Offline

Plague

But what event that would be, the easy one is like death, so if you would disable /kill for newbs, then kill them after they done the test (or whatever) and the plugin would promote them because dead newb = new player can be programmed easily.

5. Offline

GhostToast

i see. feel up to writing such a plugin ? [​IMG]
    i also wonder how to prevent deathBan from working on that particular death... which is why i would prefer it if it could be a warp or something less...fatal.

6. Offline

Plague

But how do you warp somebody without the use of /warp command? Special block? That would have to listen to block events and there are too many of them for this not to have an impact.

7. Offline

nerdnosyd

I've suggested a plugin that really handles multiworld spawning in a hierarchal fashion as well as separates spawns from respawns here: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/multiworld-universal-spawn-thing.6913

If this plugin were created the way I envision it, new players who join the server spawn in your newbie world, do whatever you want them to do and you could use multiverse to setup a one way portal to the grownup world. In the grownup world, you'd have it's spawn/respawn higher up in the hierarchy than the newbie world and thus if players die in the grownup world, they respawn in the grownup world instead of the newbie world.

If your server uses a ton of different worlds, you could set a universal respawn point so no matter where players, if they die, they respawn in the world the universal spawn point is and have your newbie world ignore that respawn point and instead make a world respawn point so players that die in the newbie world go to a different place than everyone else.

The problem isn't creating one way portals, I have several of them on my server. The problem is handling spawning/respawning.

8. Offline

GhostToast

yes you're on the same page i think. i thought that some nether plugins didn't handle "correctly" the multi-world spawning. there may actually be a plugin that has this "feature" (some may call it a bug) where if you die in the newbie world you keep spawning there. but if you graduate (simply by passing through a portal) you are now in the grownup world, which means that if you die you spawn there. does this not yet exist? for that's all i really need.

9. Offline

nerdnosyd

There isn't a plugin that gives us the level of control that you and I desire, though I know it's possible, I've seen all the elements in place in other plugins.

You might be able to ghetto rig it using SpawnControl and by setting the default world to the newbie island but if you have more than two worlds (and it sounds like you have a nether) then things are going to get confusing as SpawnControl sends players to each world's unique spawn and if you have a nether and someone dies there, they're going to the nether's spawn point (or if a nether plugin has its own spawning, it could send you back to the newbie world depending on which plugin wins the tug of war).

10. Offline

GhostToast

actually i only have 1 world at present. my only interest in creating a second one is for newb-island. i think with a spawn plugin that sets a different spawn point per world, this concept may just work for me. but not you unfortunately. i read your request, and that makes some sense. is it that you want to force players back to a certain world, so that the others are hard to get to?

because you may be able to setup a locked spawn-house for the "higher" worlds, which have portals sending them back to the "lower" worlds. that might be a way at finding what you seek. does this make sense?
    [MERGETIME="1299713362"][/MERGETIME]
    anyone happen to know if there is a way to manually create a "small world" that is not expanding at all? like, 128x128x128 would be suffice. i don't want newb-world dragging my other world's resources down.

or does running multiple worlds really create much of a burden on resources?

11. Offline

nerdnosyd

My server is going to be a RP/PVP/DM type server type thing and it makes no sense when a player dies that they're sent back to the boat they arrived after they had go through a giant portal that takes them to a different world. On my server, there will be several "free roam" worlds where players explore, build, and conquer and I'd like those worlds to go to a unique respawn point. There will also be "dungeon" worlds where I've built dungeons that players can conquer and that world has it's own respawn point. Having bindstones, that is, points in the world that respawn nearby players marked by a structure, would be a huge tactical advantage as well for groups of players that have banded together into a makeshift guild.

12. Offline

GhostToast

there are some group-spawn plugins but this only fits half of your request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.