Working with double chests...

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by d3x, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

d3x

Code:
            Block block1 = event.getBlock();
            Block block2 = block1;
            BlockFace[] faces = {BlockFace.NORTH, BlockFace.EAST, BlockFace.SOUTH, BlockFace.WEST};
            for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
                if (i > 0) block2 = block1.getFace(faces[i - 1]);
                if (block2.getTypeId() != 54) continue;
                Chest chest = (Chest) block2.getState();
                //do your chest stuff
            }
    How do you deal with double chests?

2. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

I always thought that block.getState() would just return a Chest with double the capacity, but I never tried it...

3. Offline

Kekec852

You need to get both chests and handle them individually.

4. Offline

Afforess

+1 this.

A pain in the rear, and why I wrote custom inventory interfaces and API's for MM.

5. Offline

darknesschaos

That looks like too many steps, I use:
    Code:
    if(chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.NORTH).getType() == Material.CHEST)
                 return (Chest)chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.NORTH).getState();
            else if(chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.SOUTH).getType() == Material.CHEST)
                 return (Chest)chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.SOUTH).getState();
            else if(chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.EAST).getType() == Material.CHEST)
                 return (Chest)chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.EAST).getState();
            else if(chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.WEST).getType() == Material.CHEST)
                 return (Chest)chest.getBlock().getRelative(BlockFace.WEST).getState();
            return null;
    Sure, its goofy with triple and quad chests, but honestly, how many of them actually exist?

6. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

Since it's not possible to place a chest beside a large chest, that method seems foolproof to me.

7. Offline

Afforess

Yep. It is. That solution works for small cases, but I get tired of the copy-n-pasted code, especially when you deal with inventories a lot. But if that's all you need it for, no need fixing what isn't broken.

8. Offline

darknesschaos

I use it as a part of a "Toolset" that I can transport between plugins almost seamlessly. yay static methods :D

9. Offline

Edward Hand

It depends what exactly you're trying to do. While bukkit doesn't support double chests, the server itself has lots of bits of code for handling double chests which can be cannibalised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.