[WIP] Your Server Craft!

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Kodfod, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Kodfod

Thank you for taking your time to check this out. There are a few things that I would like to state before you read this thread. First and foremost, I know that the server stresses of a plugin of this nature will require massive amounts of CPU usage and RAM. Second, I am by no means a Java expert, and I code in my free time while out of school and not working. That being said, this will be a while before i can get a COMPLETELY working plugin. That's where I need you guys. Third, I am only one person with limited time and knowledge. I need you guys to help out and report any bugs and/or ideas!

The Idea:

The Basic idea here is to do what WoM Realms has done, allow players to have their own "Realm" that they can control. I would like to take this to the Beta Minecraft!

Here is an update:

Current Features (Default Settings):
    **Note: These can be modified depending on what server owner you have. They can change the default settings to fit their needs.**

For Players:
    Own Flat/Normal/Nether/Sky Lands/The_End World (different configurable prices for world change, as well as setting the default starting world.)
    Ability to teleport to other's worlds
    Global and Local world chats

For World Owners:
    Ability to edit permissions per-world (With limitations set via config)
    Ability to Kick Players from their world
    Ability to Ban Players from their world
    Ability to IP-Ban IP addresses from their world
    Ability to Mute Players in their world.
    Ability to teleport/summon to/from players/select cords.
    Ability to lock the world
    - Join lock (no one can join the world (except with permissions))
    - Build lock (no one can build (except with permissions))
    - Leave lock (no one can leave the world (except with permissions));
    - White listed (White listed people only)
    - Password lock (must have a password to build/join)
    Ability to Make promote players to Any rank (For their world(s) only and limited via Config)
    Extensive Permissions configuration to make each world feel very unique =)
    Look up Chat/Block Logs for that world.

For World "Watchers":

For World Builders:
    Ability to make warps
    Ability to set home
    Yeah I was going to wait for you guys to figure this out but meh... (open)
    Request NPC Build helpers. (See the last spoiler to see more about them.)

Basic building help commands.

For Server Owners:
    Possible website integration (working on it as a side project.)
    Statistic Sheet (simple text file reporting various things including: System CPU usage, Worlds created, Most Popular realm, Peak Times, Average Worlds loaded at one time, and more...)
    World Tracker (Allows you to track all activity of selected worlds)
    Ability to over ride a world owner's decision
    Optional Email/SMS Notifications (Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Emergency only)

Other Stuff:
    Option to use YSC's (Your Server Craft's) equivalent of Essentials (or use your own! / Requires Vault)​
    Option to use YSC's Economy (or use your own! / Requires Vault)
    Option to use YSC's Permissions (or use your own! / Requires Vault)
    Option to use the Point system for rewards (Building/Breaking/Building & breaking in others worlds / These allow you to buy another world or other things set up in the config. / Exploits like auto breakers and placers can be detected and are blocked.)
    Automatic world de-loader (saves memory / Configurable on how much time before the world de-loads)
    Web site integration (still learning how to do this part, so don't expect it to be the best =P)

There are more Easter eggs waiting to be found!!!

I will make a BukkitDev within a week and release a version for you guys to try out! (10/23/12 - 10/30/12)

Builder NPC's (open)
    As I stated above, builders have (by default) the ability to call upon the community for help. The community are villagers that are well versed in the arts of building. (Haven't you seen their very sophisticated villages?) They lend you their hand from time to time, if they are not at home cleaning or tending to the farms. They need a lot of direction from the builder. They tend to slack off, and loose motivation easily. Some have even have been known to just walk off the construction site with all your materials and never to bee seen again! Being farm hands, they build good strong buildings, however the others, like the priest's son, they tend to be a little more clumsy and mess things up.

That's all I have to say for now on that topic!

Want i need from you guys
    - Ideas on what else to add
    - Find/Test Bugs
    - Test server load
    - Test out economy

Thanks guys!

MrBluebear3 likes this.
  2. Offline

Jozeth

Awesome.

3. Offline

Kodfod

I Guess it's time to give you guys a progress report.

The current state of the plugin is:

Features:
    - Creates realms
    - Users can Kick/Ban users from their realms
    - Users can promote/demote players in their realms
    - Flat Worlds/Normal Worlds
    - Local Realm Chat With Option for Global Chat
    - Auto-Unloads world if in-active

Bugs:
    - None at the moment

Commands:
    - realm: Creates realm
    - realm <player>: Takes you to that realm
    - rman <rank> <player>: Sets the rank of a player
    - rflag <flag> <value>: Allows the setting of some flags like: /rflag gamemode creative, /rflag difficulty peaceful etc...

Hope you guys like the idea!

4. Offline

Shockwave317

Great Bravo I would mind being a tester...

5. Offline

Kodfod

The plugin is on the server in my signature. Feel free to join and test away got a small update

Commands:
    /rman setrank <rank> <player>
    /rman kick <player>

6. Offline

chaseoes

Per-world tab list! ;)

My realm took like 30 seconds to start up.. and never happened. An internal error did though!

Also, missing children were found.

7. Offline

Kodfod

lol

And yes, i saw in console, it's the host's GC thingy that messes up after ~5 world creations.

8. Offline

Kodfod

Server is up,
    66.85.137.74:25570

Plugin Stage: Under Development
    Plugin State: Usable ~65% completed
    - Realms get in a line for creation
    - If world is not created in 30 seconds, user is asked to try again later.
    - Flat world creations for now until server can handle more load.
    - Users get creative in their realm
    Server state: Medium memory, will handle 3 realms being created at once.

Want i need from you guys

- Ideas on what else to add
    - Find/Test Bugs
    - Test server load
    - Test out economy

Thanks guys!

9. Offline

ElitexvxRampage

I cannot wait for a release!

10. Offline

Hoolean

Kodfod

May I help you develop this?

Kodfod likes this.
  11. Offline

Kodfod

**Warning WALL OF TEXT!**

Hey Guys, I'm sorry it's been a while since I have updated you guys with this!

I have only been doing this in my spare time between work, school, and other java projects.

Here is an update:

Current Features (Default Settings):
    **Note: These can be modified depending on what server owner you have. They can change the default settings to fit their needs.**

For Players:
    Own Flat/Normal/Nether/Sky Lands/The_End World (different configurable prices for world change, as well as setting the default starting world.)
    Ability to teleport to other's worlds
    Global and Local world chats

For World Owners:
    Ability to edit permissions per-world (With limitations set via config)
    Ability to lock the world
    - Join lock (no one can join the world (except with permissions))
    - Build lock (no one can build (except with permissions))
    - Leave lock (no one can leave the world (except with permissions));
    - White listed (White listed people only)
    - Password lock (must have a password to build/join)
    Ability to Make promote players to Any rank (For their world(s) only and limited via Config)
    Extensive Permissions configuration to make each world feel very unique =)

For World "Watchers":

For World Builders:
    Ability to make warps
    Ability to set home
    Yeah I was going to wait for you guys to figure this out but meh... (open)
    Request NPC Build helpers. (See the last spoiler to see more about them.)

Basic building help commands.

For Server Owners:
    Possible website integration (working on it as a side project.)
    Statistic Sheet (simple text file reporting various things including: System CPU usage, Worlds created, Most Popular realm, Peak Times, Average Worlds loaded at one time, and more...)
    World Tracker (Allows you to track all activity of selected worlds)
    Ability to over ride a world owner's decision
    Optional Email/SMS Notifications (Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Emergency only)

There are more Easter eggs waiting to be found!!!

I will make a BukkitDev within a week and release a version for you guys to try out!

Builder NPC's (open)
    As I stated above, builders have (by default) the ability to call upon the community for help. The community are villagers that are well versed in the arts of building. (Haven't you seen their very sophisticated villages?) They lend you their hand from time to time, if they are not at home cleaning or tending to the farms. They need a lot of direction from the builder. They tend to slack off, and loose motivation easily. Some have even have been known to just walk off the construction site with all your materials and never to bee seen again! Being farm hands, they build good strong buildings, however the others, like the priest's son, they tend to be a little more clumsy and mess things up.

That's all I have to say for now on that topic!

Sorry again guys, but hope you all look forward to experiencing what i have thoroughly enjoyed making!

Thanks,

Kodfod

12. Offline

Lolmewn

Holy crap, that's quite awesome.

13. Offline

Kodfod

Glad you think so!

Updated the OP.

Please send more feed back with more ideas if you have them!!

14. Offline

Hoolean

How are you handling worlds? Do you have them loading/unloading when a player logs in/out or when they are requested?

15. Offline

Kodfod

As of right now, The world loads upon request, when someone teleports out/logs out in the world it checks if there are other players in the world, if not it starts a timer (default 1.5 minutes) then de-loads the world if there are still no players in the world.

Operators have the option to also de-load/Load all the worlds on a command.

The worlds also have a limit on how big they can get (file size / configurable) and how many chunks can be loaded into memory (Configurable).

MrBluebear3 likes this.
  16. Offline

smartkid

Hi Kodfod,

I wanted to create just this for my server but immediately got stuck trying to figure out how to use multiverse to create the worlds. I was wondering if you are using MV2 for this?

While I'm here posting, I'll tell you my idea and hopefully you'll like it. I was hoping to create Animal Crossing styled worlds or homes for each player. In AC, you start off with a tiny house and you have to earn money to upgrade it over time. This was the fundamental idea, allow players to all be able to create some tiny protected home, then use a standard economy plugin to allow in game currency to be spent to increase the size of the home, or realm.

-Cody

17. Offline

Kodfod

I.... Love..... Animal Crossing!!!!

That's a good idea!

I created my own world generator to handle the creation of the worlds, no other plugins except vault and a permissions supported by vault is needed. (optional economy)

However, I really like your idea about the home/realm thing. If you would like some help (or for me to be a dev for it) i would be more than happy to help. But since it's so close to the holidays at this time i am a little tied up with family. That's the reason i haven't released this yet (sorry!!) But after thanksgiving before Christmas i will have some free time.

*goes to play some AC for the GC for "Research"*

18. Offline

smartkid

I understand completely Kodfod,

I have nothing to show for the idea, not a single line of code. I'm good with Java but completely new to Bukkit plugin development. And, I really have no attachment to the idea, that is to say I'm not hoping to claim it as my own or anything - I just want to see it done because I think it would be an excellent new game dynamic for MC.

And seeing how far along realms is, it seems silly for me to completely start from scratch, as the ideas share a lot of overlap. For example, I have no idea how you wrote your own world manager for realms. I guess bukkit comes somewhat out of the box able to run multiple worlds since the nether is considered another world even on a vanilla server... Humm, that could be a useful line of thought actually.

Anyway, if you want to take this on please do, don't concern yourself with the source of the idea - I wont mind, otherwise we could try to work together or I can attempt this on my own. I also considered the idea that the AC plugin could be an extension of realms. You know how many plugins have sub-plugins.

But all in all, I'm thrilled that you like the idea. It's nice to see fellow Animal Crossing fans, that game rocked.

-Cody

Kodfod likes this.
  19. Offline

Kodfod

smartkid

I would be more than happy to have you work along side of me! The more the merrier!

Now for what you said about it being a sub-plugin, that could work. In-fact it will work well because I am currently (again) re-working the code... seems like every time i look at it seems to messy and stuff. But anyway, I like the idea!

20. Offline

smartkid

Sounds great, I'm excited!

Iterative design works very well, I used to do competitive robotics and we designed and re-designed like crazy, too much fun. But yeah, I feel ya, almost every big project I take on I learn so much that by the end it seems like the code I first wrote is ancient greek.

I'll PM you with my contact info so we can keep this thread on topic and clean.
    -Cody

21. Offline

winston100

A problem is more worlds + More lagg, Too much worls will take too much ram

22. Offline

Kodfod

I stopped developing this don't have all the time i used too.

But the way I was able to keep a lid on the too many worlds = lagg was simple, limit the amount of chunks loaded based on how many players were in the world, and de-loading the worlds if no one was in it after x mins.

23. Offline

iTidez

Kodfod
    If you want I would be willing on continuing this project if you are no longer developing this. I have been developing something similar and could simply combine the two.

PM me later if you want me to help with development, I would hate to see a good project going down the tubes like this!

24. Offline

FloatingWater

C'mon someone finish animal crossing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.