Inactive [WIP][WEB/ADMIN] McMyAdmin 2 - Beta 1 available to download now (Win/Linux/Mac) - Easy to install!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by PhonicUK, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NeatMonster

WTH?

2. Offline

md_5

Why am I always in that situation too?
    Stupid apple

3. Offline

PhonicUK

What are you referring to? It'd cost a fair amount to fully support Mac OS with native builds, but that cost wouldn't be offset by demand for it. Linux on the other hand accounts for 75% of my installation base.

4. Offline

NinjaGrinch

I have no intention to run it but could you not dedicate an extremely small bit of time towards an OS X version? It could be one of those "Use this at your own risk, it won't be updated frequently but hey, we support it!" kind of things.

The thought ran across my head though, perhaps the reason that you have almost no OS X base is because it doesn't have native support so people just use something else? Just my thoughts on this. :)

5. Offline

NeatMonster

@NinjaGrinch has made a good résumé of what I am thinking.

6. Offline

md_5

Well if this is in c++ or java it would be as easy as make for any keen person.

7. Offline

flames

apple is not responsive here ;)
    the trick is to choose your operating system to fit your needs. i for my self run all my servers on gnu/linux, but for my all day work i prefer mac os x.

8. Offline

PhonicUK

A native version for Mac OS wouldn't perform better or be any different than the current versions where you have to install Mono (Which is about as easy as anyone could ask for under Mac OS). And at the moment that falls under the "I don't do any Mac OS testing of any kind, so you're on your own". All Mac OS users would gain is a mild convenience of not having to do something they'd only have to do once in the first place. Under Linux the native builds actually solve a wide variety of problems, hence why I'm pushing for them.

If I spent the £1000 to get an entry-level Macbook Pro to build and occasionally test MCMA on, I'd have to have 100 people buy for use on Mac OS who wouldn't have bought otherwise (so not including the 2% of users who buy already for Mac OS) simply to break even on the hardware cost. Double that number to take into account the time cost of building, testing and debugging for Mac OS that can't then be spent improving the native Windows/Linux builds.

So given the almost non-existence of Macs in the dedicated server market, it's not a worthwhile investment.

9. Offline

NinjaGrinch

10. Offline

PhonicUK

Not enough RAM. MCMAs automated test suite uses systems sized from 512MB to 16GB of RAM. Capping out at 2GB wouldn't let me run enough of my existing tests on the Mac. At 4/8GB I could more or less get away with saying that it's probably going to scale okay.

What I'd suggest you do if you'd really like to convince me it's worthwhile, Is add a suggestion to http://phonicuk.uservoice.com to formally support Mac OS with native builds, and if it gets enough votes to be worthwhile then I'll give it some heavier consideration.

11. Offline

MCServersFTW

Any ETA on release date?

12. Offline

NinjaGrinch

I was unaware of that site but at the same time I am also not an MCMA user. I made the suggestion as you suggested though.

13. Offline

PhonicUK

You should try out MCMA with Mono, it's pretty painless to set up.

14. Offline

NinjaGrinch

I actually do not own an OS X server. I was just simply supporting native support for it. In regards to MCMA as a whole, do you have a page in which I can compare the paid-for and free versions to see what I get with each and what I lose with the free version? :)

15. Offline

PhonicUK

16. Offline

NinjaGrinch

Ah, I see then. What is the estimated release date (at the least a beta in which people could take part in such as myself) for MCMA 2? I'm still looking towards SpaceBukkit but if MCMA 2 works well I'll likely buy the Professional Version for my server.

17. Offline

PhonicUK

Before the end of this month. Anyone with MCMA 1 gets MCMA 2 for free.

18. Offline

NinjaGrinch

Thank you, I will take a look at it when its released. :)

19. Offline

md_5

What are you coding v2 in?

20. Offline

PhonicUK

The same language as I used V1, just without the requirement for users to install the Mono runtime :)

21. Offline

md_5

So you are compiling mono into your c# executable?

22. Offline

PhonicUK

Not exactly, its a little more complicated than that. C# can be compiled as machine code, there's just a stack of other problems that have to be dealt with.

23. Offline

md_5

Right, I was thinking of ms c#

24. Offline

NeatMonster

Sorry for what I said before, I didn't realize we don't have the same goal. You want to make money, so for sure you need everything to work perfectly, and we want to make users happy that's why for SpaceBukkit 'Sputnik edition' we've created a wrapper which runs on Windows/Linux/Mac (using Java so it won't be as stable as yours is). Two different philosophies...

Amicably, NeatMonster.

Jamy likes this.
  25. Offline

Lay295

Oh dang! V2?!?! i love V1 but V2 looks even better....GL with it :D <3

26. Nice work @PhonicUK !
    I know that the iOS and Android apps are 3rd party but is it likely that these apps will become unresponsive in their current state if we were to upgrade to MCMA 2.0 ?

27. Offline

PhonicUK

I keep the authors of the apps apprised of any changes made that will affect their apps so they can release updates accordingly.

28. Offline

ioiodogy

@PhonicUK is there any way to drag plugins in to browser and have them go to the plugin folder (kind of like imgur.com's feature ... maybe through ftp)

29. Offline

Tomaz

Looks good!

30. Offline

superbomb17

I love you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.