[WIP] ToughBoats v1.3 - More Configuration Options

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by Cyclometh, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Cyclometh

Hey folks. I'm working on an update to ToughBoats (http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/toughboats/) to correct the client position desync issue. More info on that bug here: https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-26026

The basics: When I coded ToughBoats I simply wanted to make boats not break if you ran into lilypads and stuff. So that was easy- but then I found that the longer you ride a boat, especially on SMP servers that have even a tiny bit of lag, the further out of sync your client would get with your position in the world.

Eventually the server thinks you're hundreds of blocks away and things get REAL weird- I got so far out of sync once that chunks stopped generating where the client thought I was and fell off the edge of the world!

As I used ToughBoats more I realized that because boats didn't break, you could ride in them further (dismounting or being ejected resyncs you) and the problem became worse and worse.

I just finished coding a fix/patch to this, and I'm going to test it for a bit on my SMP server and put out an update to ToughBoats sometime this week.

The update will (optionally) allow you to enable a resync function. The plugin tracks anyone moving on a boat (I'M ON A BOAT) and at a specific interval will eject the player, teleport them to their real location according to the server, despawn their boat and respawn a new one, then put them in it facing and moving the same direction and speed. Destroying and respawning the boat seems to be the only way to get the server and client to actually agree on where you are in the world.

So, when riding in a boat, every minute (or at an interval you configure) you experience a brief "hop" and you're back in sync. I've been testing it pretty extensively on my SMP server and the latest version works pretty well so far. However, I want to bake it in a bit and make sure there's no issues with it before I package it up. My server is not heavily used so if anyone has a more heavily-trafficked one they'd like to test it on, give me a shout.

If you've been getting fed up with boats getting your position desync'd, than this update is going to be something you're VERY interested in.

Thanks and cheers!

All right! I've updated ToughBoats to include the resync feature and now we're just waiting on the Bukkit mods to approve the updated JAR file.

I'm very pleased with the update. No more desyncs!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Cyclometh You should release a stand-alone plugin fixing this bug, but still nice work.

3. Offline

Cyclometh

BorisTheTerrible I could add a parameter to the configuration file that lets you disable the "protect boats" functionality while enabling the "resync" functionality. I'm not sure I want to maintain a totally separate plugin for it because I have faith that eventually Mojang and/or Bukkit will correct the desync problem and that feature will become superfluous in my plugin.

4. Cyclometh Idk it is mojang after all.... But that would be good if you did that.

5. Offline

Cyclometh

BorisTheTerrible All right, I'll do that. It's a pretty small update, so look for it within a week or so, depending on how fast the approval queue goes. Thanks for the feedback!

6. Offline

Cyclometh

In response to the request above by BorisTheTerrible, I'm going to make some adjustments to ToughBoats that allow server owners to selectively enable both the boat protection and player resync features of the plugin.

Watch the project site, this thread or the Github repository for updates.

OK, I've just completed V1.3 of ToughBoats. It's in the approval queue, so look for it to be available within the next few days.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.