[WIP] Sketcher, design using pictures, load into minecraft

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by ZachBora, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ZachBora

Basically, using a picture file (Only works with PNG, GIF and BMP because other types don't correctly save colors) I set each pixel to the block ids and value. Red=block id, Green = value, Blue = nothing at the moment.

You can for example write text in Paint.NET (with antialising OFF) in color 35,0,0 for wool or 35,14,0 for red wool.

My current idea revolves around using this to sketch up buildings and then import them. I know it could seem silly as we already have schematics that we can import, but with this we can use shapes from image editors to quickly sketch stuff. We can have for example Image1.1.png, Image1.2.png and when importing them, stack them one on top of the other. The import is quite fast but it could be because I do not save the values to allow and a sort of undo.

Another thing is that it's quite fast and easy to make fixes and reimport. I modify the png, save and import in one command.

Example of what I've made in a few seconds :
    Source image :
    [​IMG]

Result once imported :
    [​IMG]

r3Fuze likes this.
  2. Damn, that looks awesome !

3. Offline

ZachBora

I've got the multi-layer working, I just need to work on a few more stuff before I release a test version :
    • Allow "wall" loading instead of "floor"
    • Allow to not import air blocks from the images
    • Allow to only replace air blocks
    • Add spout support if present to load the blocks async
    • Allow to look at a block and load the picture there
    • Allow to look at a block and define that as the picture corner
    • Allow to change picture orientation
    • A basic form of Undo
    Later on :
    • Allow blocks over id 255 (will combine Red and Blue to make the limit 65025 -> 255 x 255 + 255)
    • Undo other people's
    • Save a selection into image files (maybe use WorldEdit's selection)
    • Create a seperate application to create the files -> Look into the possibility of making a Paint.Net Plugin or whatever that will do this.

If anyone wants me to try a test image, just send me a link to it.
    Pixel color RGB
    0,0,0 = air
    5,0,0 = planks
    35,14,0 = redwool
    etc.
    PNG, GIF and BMP only supported (other types like JPG save in degraded colors so they don't work)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
    r3Fuze likes this.
  4. Offline

Butkicker12

Who came up with this idea? Would you be able to draw a 3d image? Eg. your player skin.

5. Offline

ZachBora

It doesn't draw like that. The color value of the pixel is the block. It doesn't interpret a color to become a block. So a player skin's red pixel wouldn't be a red wool if imported.

Butkicker12 likes this.
  6. Offline

DrAgonmoray

sounds to me like it's time to make a RGB -> Sketcher converter.
    I'm on it!

ZachBora likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.