[WIP] PetDragon - get a pet dragon and fly it around today!

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by SoThatsIt, Dec 5, 2012.

?

Would you use PetDragon?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

SoThatsIt

Description
    I am making a mod called PetDragon for bukkit. It is in very early beta and is still very buggy atm.

In this plugin you will be able to tame a dragon one of two ways i have not decided which yet. Have dragons spawn randomly and you can use meat to tame them. Summon dragons by making a shrine. Post below which one you would prefer. Once you have tamed the dragon you will be able to fly around on it and breath fire by pressing shift. Using fire breathing you can have wars on other people who are on dragons or not on dragons. If a player disconnects the dragon will land. To fly dragons you will simply right click them and point the direction you want to go.

This mod is very extensive and i do not think will be finished any time soon.

Progress

Red = not done
    Orange = currently working on it
    Green = finished
    • Flying Dragons
    • Landing Dragons
    • Calling Dragons
    • Mounting dragons after land
    • Breathing Fire
    • Randomly Spawning Dragons
    • Taming Dragons
    • Landing when player disconnects

2. Offline

SoThatsIt

<font color="#ff0000"><Warning!> Do not put this on your main server as </font><font color="#ff0000">there is currently no permissions and this may destroy your house. This plugin is still in beta. You have been warned!<Warning!></font>

I have uploaded a beta version to mediafire if you want to test this out!

This version has:
    - flying dragons
    - calling dragons
    - landing dragons

i have added some temporary commands to summon and mount a dragon. these commands are "/pd" to summon a dragon and "/pd <anything>" to mount it. Please post about any of your thoughts/ideas below.

<font color="#008000"><Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

i have created the banner and logo for this project
    Logo:
    [​IMG]

Banner:
    [​IMG]

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  3. Now this vs. RideThaDragon:
    Red = not done
    Orange = currently working on it
    Green = finished
    • Flying Dragons
    • Landing Dragons
    • Calling Dragons
    • Mounting dragons after land
    • Breathing Fire
    • Randomly Spawning Dragons
    • Taming Dragons
    • Landing when player disconnects
    Why re-create the wheel instead of helping with RTDs development? :(

4. Offline

SoThatsIt

i have not used ridethadragon but by looking at the videos i can see that "driving" dragons is very limited in it as you can only go straight. In PetDragon you can control where you go by looking around and turning the dragon. I feel this is better because you can easily fly to a point rather than going 100 across the x and 150 across the z. I also believe that my version is more challenging as if you turn your head too much you might go spinning out of control and could crash into a mountain. This is just 1 reason that i have decided to "re-create the wheel".

5. It can go in 10 different directions, depending where you're looking at. ;) I could add more but then you get this challenge that you talk about which I try to avoid.

I would suggest to you to just give RTD a try. See all functions in-game and then decide again what you want to do. But also note all the Spout functions (custom textures and controlling the dragon with the arrow keys instead to where you're looking at).

BTW: Do you use other plugins sources as base for this? Cause RTDs sources spreaded into other dragon plugins so you still might use it's codes... ;)

6. Offline

SoThatsIt

I think that my plugin and your plugin are going 2 different ways. In my plugin i don't want dragons just to be something that you fight once in the end or just use to get from point a to point b. I want to make dragons a rare mob that spawns that you can tame like wolfs, but that will put up a fight before it lets you tame it. I want to make it that taming a dragon will be hard but rewarding so you can take them into battle and have the upper hand against your opponent.

I have looked at other dragon plugins to see how to actually create a custom dragon because this is my first time creating custom entities. I have just used that to check what methods i need to override or at the beginning how people actually moved the dragon around but i have not copy and pasted anything and it is all my own work.

btw, i dont want this to start a row on who's plugin is better. Both plugins are different in their own ways.

7. I disagree with you saying they are going two different ways. This was the case in the past where dragons instantly despawned when you dismount them but as soon as I got the reply from a guy I developed plugins for that I'm allowed to re-use codes from a custom plugin RTD started to advance. Now it has all these Spout things, the dragons have a inventory (allowing them to transport larger amounts of items fast), you can feed them, ... In fact if I would have some more time I would try to advance "my pet dragon" felling even more. That's the main reason why I asked you why not joining the development of it. Sorry for not telling that from the beginning. ;) If we work together we could implement all (configurable) in one plugin. So spawn dragons randomly and/or use commands for it and/or the API (not sure if there is a API in RTD jet nor how advanced it is).

Most plugins are open source none the less. As long as you respect the license all is fine even if you copy&paste 100% of the code.

We can't even start a row as your plugin is still a WIP jet, so uncompareable. Also that wasn't what I wanted to do, see above.

8. Offline

brinaq

He is correct that the plugin could go quite far with two devs. And configurable options would be nice for users who'd want to change it around without a whole new plugin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.