[WIP]GeneralPermissions

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by ERROR372, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ERROR372

Introduction:

After waiting for weeks and weeks for other permissions plugins to update, after all the other plugins I use have updated, I got fed up and decided to make my own. The result: GeneralPermissions.

Inspired by user Nisovin's permissions plugin setup, GeneralPermissions allows for Player, Group, and Groups-per-World customization of permissions. Currently set up in text file formats (subject to change later), GeneralPermissions is fast, and lightweight. Easily edited and works perfectly with WorldEdit and without.

Currently GeneralPermissions is in the beta stage awaiting "bad-code" checking, optimization, and testing on a server, where it will endure as many possible attempts to break and/or confuse it. Once thoroughly tested and looked over, GeneralPermissions will be released to everyone.

Basic Info:

General Permissions uses a +/- system for permissions. When editing a user/group file, if there is a wanted permission to be added, simply type in "+ permissionnodename". If you wish to remove a permission from a player/group, type in "- permissionnodename". The negated permissions will affect all the user's permissions. So if a user has "- permission.A" and in another file "+ permission.A", the user will *NOT* have permission.A due to the negation.

GeneralPermissions also accepts wildcards (permission.*). However, if the plugin that is being used has not specified it's permissions, nor uses WEPIF, the wildcard may not work as intended. GeneralPermissions does not give a player the permission.* permission. This is due to myself wanting full customization of permissions. An example:

I want to give a player all testPlugin's permissions except for testPlugin.B. All I have to do is "+ testPlugin.*" and "- testPlugin.B".

Normally, in a plugin.yml, the testPlugin.* holds all the children, thus giving the player those children permissions, and not allowing you to easily negate them. My plugin searches the listed permissions, and takes any permission nodes that begin with everything before the * (excluding the .* permission listed). This allows for ultimate customization of permissions.

I hope that wasn't too confusing =P

Why GeneralPermissions?

I dunno =P. I just felt like making my own permissions system so that my server isn't waiting weeks after an update. It will be free for you to use or not use, that is up to you.

Where Next For GeneralPermissions?

I would like to implement an sql version, though have the text file system the default (in case someone does not have access to sql databases on their server). This is currently the only future plans for GeneralPermissions.

Closing

I don't have much more to say. If you have any questions about this plugin, feel free to ask. I honestly can't wait until I get this working, been developing it for about 4 weeks =P

So if you are tired of waiting for ages for a permissions plugin to update like I was, feel free to check out mine when it is released, and see if it suits your needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.