Solved WiFi defaults over Ethernet

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Lying_Cake, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Lying_Cake

Hello! I have a server running on our mac desktop. It used to work fine with Ethernet and WiFi, but now there is a problem. I want it to run over Ethernet, but I can tell its using WiFi instead, because when I shut off WiFi i can only access it through "localhost" and not "my_IP_here". When Ethernet is the only source of internet people cannot connect. I know our ethernet works fine too, web works fine with WiFi off. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

2. Offline

cray_Z

What router do you have?

Lying_Cake likes this.
  3. Offline

Lying_Cake

A motorola SURFboard.

4. Offline

c0mp

This may be one of the very few situations where you would want to supply a server-ip in your server.properties file. You may have some luck popping the internal IP address of your NIC in that field, thereby forcing the Minecraft server to operate over that IP address. Because the router technically sees your computer as two different devices on the network (one device connected over wifi, another device connected over ethernet), it may be getting two different IP addresses and Minecraft is just defaulting to your wifi incorrectly.

Lying_Cake likes this.
  5. Offline

Lying_Cake

Thanks! But... how can I find my NIC's IP address? Would that be in my settings as "Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address xx.x.x.xx."?

Edit: Would that also change the IP people use to connect, or is this separate?

6. Offline

c0mp

Sounds like you're on the right track with whatever it's telling you is the Ethernet address, yes.

And that would *not* change the IP address that other people use to connect, unless those other people are connected to the same router that you are. If they're connecting from somewhere across the internet, they would still use the same domain name or external IP address. If they're on the same router, they'd use your ethernet connection's internal IP address.

7. Offline

Lying_Cake

Thanks everyone, but the problem just reversed itself - now if WiFi is on it won't work... Ill try above if the problem ever comes back.

8. Offline

c0mp

Sounds like your NIC and wifi card are swapping DHCP addresses from the router. You might want to assign static IP addresses to each device to keep that from happening in the future.

9. Offline

Lying_Cake

Erm. Okay. Im not sure how to do most of that but if any new issues crop up I'm sure a google search could put me in business. Until then... If it's good, don't check under the hood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.