Why don't mods...

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Jozeth, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Jozeth

2. Offline

Don Redhorse

well, that IS a good question... if you look at this: http://forums.bukkit.org/forums/plugin-submissions.20/?order=post_date

you will see my plugin on page 6 http://forums.bukkit.org/forums/plugin-submissions.20/page-6?order=post_date

which was put into the submission forum on the 2nd of January and updated since than to all the latest builds (incl. R5)

If you look at this: http://forums.bukkit.org/forums/plugin-releases.17/?order=post_date

you will find more than 40 plugins which where put into the submission forums after me.

there are a lot of possible answers, pick one..

and as I'm tracking that plugin via metrics I will know if it makes a difference to be in submissions or releases :-/

oh... and you are lucky that you didn't tag a moderator because that is against the rules..

and no I don't will tag one of them again... I pmed one.. let's wait and see if there is any feedback..

except the obvious ones..

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  3. Offline

DrAgonmoray

waaat?
    proof plz.

4. Offline

Don Redhorse

mr rule enforcement himself http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...ntrol-autostop-more-1-1-r5.52842/#post-976883

you could ofcourse try to tag a certain hash sum...

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/me...-8-snowtops-hooked-into-weather-1-1-r4.58968/

and

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/rpg-sec-colorkeys-v1-1-0-color-coded-locked-doors-1-1-r3.58180/

as examples... and you might get lucky.. a french mac moderator is also quite helpful too.

oh yeah... btw that plugin keeps around 5 plugins alive and has 2 modules which I coded completley myself.. one which I haven't seen yet.

which reminds me I still need a way to figure out how to keep tracks on sticky pistons..

Jozeth sorry to derail your thread, I hope the blame falls only on me

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

5. Offline

DrAgonmoray

Hm.. I never knew mbaxter was like that. I always thought mbaxter was cool, especially because I always used to play on joe.to TF2 servers with my friends.
    On a sidenote, In need to ask mbaxter a question: Could you approve this plugin?

Jozeth Yeah, I'm sorry too. I just really need to ask mbaxter a question.

6. Offline

Don Redhorse

lol... well honestly... why not approve plugins based on submission date and stop cherrypicking?

because that is what is happening... so move the plugins submitted before mine which adhere to submission rules first....

7. Offline

DrAgonmoray

They either need to finish their transition to BukkitDev, or get rid of BukkitDev. They're stuck in a grey area in between that really isn't good.
    Maybe mbaxter can talk the Bukkit staff into it.

8. Offline

Don Redhorse

hmm wonder if I should put the obvious answer in spoilers so I can say I said it before...

nah... the obvious 2 answers to the question will be..

drum roll....

a) we are moving to dev.bukkit and these forums are in transition
    b) we have a real life too

which doesn't explain in any way or form of course the moving of cherrypicked submissions only to releases.

right EvilSeph ?

there I said and did it... and @DrArgonmoray ... prepare for the infringements..

sigh... ninja edit.. kinda...

9. Offline

DrAgonmoray

DrAgonmoray *

Anywho, I'm wondering if mbaxter gets alerts, or if he's ignoring me, or if he's warming up the ban hammer.

10. Offline

Don Redhorse

he get's it. but he is offline atm... and while that post may be his fault, and I don't know where that rules comes from except we are interpreting it wrongly like the rule about offering payment *cough* the problem is deeper...

easy solution though..

11. Offline

DrAgonmoray

He got it.
    "Please stop tagging me like that. Thanks :)"

12. Offline

Don Redhorse

lol... well I doubt it will change anything so... let's wait and see..

13. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

BukkitDev is our priority for plugins. When we have free time, we grab a few posts from the submissions forum but that is lowest priority right now. And yes, I was serious when I replied asking to not tag mods in hope of gaining priority.

14. Offline

Don Redhorse

I'm NOT asking to gain priority...

see my comment about moving plugins from submission to releases by submission date

I asked if somebody could move it... which is COMMON usage in the forums and there is no RULE against it.

And AFAIK not all Moderators are also BukkitDev Staff so there should be some people having time.

OH, and I already used the answer that dev.bukkit has priority before you need to think about a new one..

Of course cherrypicking stuff which you like is easier or promoting your own threads.

DO I need to make a printout of the Rules before they are ninjaedited?

because I'm disgruntled about the attitude of some moderators I vented about the ONE moderator doing his job here AND in bukkit_dev md_5

I took the time to look through 40 released plugins threads and what did I see?

md_5 which cherrypicked plugins and allows to be tagged without any problems. http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/fu...-legitimately-1-1-r4.57638/reply?quote=947985

I did see one complain from the guy who doesn't want to be tagged.. in one thread, which was later after fixing the issue approved by the hash guy.

I found one plugin in releases which is already inactive too..

so the last 40 plugins where all released from ONE moderator, I rest my case...

15. Offline

Jozeth

Not to fussed, but i thought only BukkitDev mods could approve BukkitDev plugins and if that's true, why can't the Forum mods approve plugins?

Yep i got approved by md_5 and he helped me when i messed up mwith BukkitDev, no other mod did except from 2 admins, which md_5 added in as he didn't have the power to do what was needed to be done...

16. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

They're working on monitoring and policing the forums, not approving plugins. :)

17. Offline

Jozeth

I wouldn't be fussed, if bukkitdev was the only place plugins were but if a developer spends time on a plugin, regardless on what it is, they should get noticed, such as mine it's a lightwieght altenative to Essentials and some people might want a plugin like that, but they (and me) look at the plugin releases and just see Essentials there and plugin hich have been released ages ago and only 3 plugins which are new and probably crap (my opinion) and what i wont need.

So there's 16 Forum mods and 18 BukkitDev mods, also their are some forum mods who aren't BukkitDev mods, so why can't they SUCH as md_5 approve our plugins, he's also a bukkitdev mod???????

I applied to be a mod so people with common sense wouldn't start shouting and posting threads like this about plugins not being approved and if bukkitdev was the only place for plugins, this wouldn't be a problem....

I understand that EvilSeph or anyone on his team can't just step in as they're coding the next RB and i and other plugin devs also server owners need it...

I respect that, but sometimes, we postp lugins on here to get them approved by a mod, which only takes 5-10 minutes; looking at the thread, the download links, is the title correct, then it's done.

18. Offline

Don Redhorse

[quote uid=90587933 name="Jozeth" post=981250]I respect that, but sometimes, we postp lugins on here to get them approved by a mod, which only takes 5-10 minutes; looking at the thread, the download links, is the title correct, then it's done.[/quote]
    yepp.. especially if you just spent 20 minutes in the submission forums every day it would be empty.. think about it:

20 minutes per day, 10 minutes per submission (if it has already been approved on dev.bukkit) makes 2 plugins a day, now times 16 = 32 plugins which can be moved per day.

atm we have over 240 plugins stuck in submission limbo land... since the 2 January...

I think there is a problem here...

just face it... most moderators DON'T care about the plugins, even as EvilSeph stated that those forums would still be processed again and again... but that is not happening.

And the excuse is always the same lame one, we have dev.bukkit ...

Some stuff to read for people who tend to forget:

a) Phasing from Forums to BukkitDev: Keep your topics updated! | Bukkit Forums <Edit by Moderator: Redacted bit url>
    b) Moving to BukkitDev - phasing out the Plugin Submissions/Releases forums | Bukkit Forums <Edit by Moderator: Redacted bit url>

I wouldn't say that this is done... again... the forum is full of broken promises from the bukkit team and I just know what the result of this thread will be:

a) nothing
    b) a backslash from bukkit team that dev.bukkit is the new place, they are working on it, everybody is busy doing other things etc.

If you read stuff like that it makes you wonder what people are doing and how crappy this forum software must be as it doesn't allow easy moderating, reply only forums and easy movement off messages.

I think it takes more time again and again to extinguish the fire with meaningless messages than to just DO the job.

And not that it helps that you have to become really annoying till something happens at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2017
    Musaddict likes this.
  19. Offline

EvilSeph

Please stop harassing my staff, this is something I will never stand for.

All I have to say is this, for someone who thinks he seems to know better than my team at how much work it is to handle the Bukkit community, you had your brief time as a BukkitDev staff member and did absolutely nothing.
    Just to put your continued insistence that we're just sitting on our asses all day doing nothing in perspective.

You said you didn't have any time to help us out, but look at how much free time you seem to have to continue to post long, nonsensical posts and spam and harass my staff with notifications and alerts. mbaxter sticks around because he loves this community, despite all the crap he sometimes gets from everyone. His responsibilities go far beyond just handling submissions, something even you couldn't handle, and he does them all. He is one of my best and most active staff and pushing his buttons and harassing him with @ notifications ends now.

This is your warning. Continue to harass my staff and I will have to get involved.

We appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions, but all your posts seem to drip with contempt, superiority or sometimes sarcasm. It's hard to see past them being anything but a plea for attention. If you want change within the community, spitting on my staff that pour in a lot of thankless, hard hours for nothing in return is by far the worst way to go about getting it.

-------

For everyone else, we've had a bit of a backlog with submissions both on the forums and on BukkitDev and will be adding more staff soon to handle the increase in activity. Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your patience and understanding.

Windwaker likes this.
  20. Offline

Don Redhorse

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/moderator-of-the-month-february.61725/#post-981376 and another one concerning Moniour Apple

why did I harrass? tagged twice in my submission? speaken my point of view which is not in line with yours?

and didn't I say that you need to vent to get any reply?

I didn't focus on mbaxter, sorry if it did look like it, I said that with 16 mods it shouldn't be such an issue to process the submissions, especially when one mod can do it on one day.

I'm not spitting on you staff either. I would never do so as I know how much effort it takes to do a job like this.

But I don't take any lame excuses either and most of the time those are being thrown in atm.

Your reply on the other side is focusing only on me and has the typical we didn't do anything wrong attitude you show all the time in here.

Well i guess you can do it.

and back on doing nothing... I did my share, but noticed that it is to hard for a medicore developer to read through the sourcecode in an effecient way and that I was keeping a slot which could have filled by somebody better, so I stepped back. Plus as I was not able to access the forums a lot of the time in a decent way (travelling 5 days a week with mainly just 3g available) I thought that it would make sense to allow somebody better and who doesn't cause so much fuss to hold the position.

I do know how to handle a community, and I know how at lest 3 different bulletin system works, but not this one.

Reading your postings it looks like everything is difficult or not possible in the back, like allowing only certain people to post the initial subject and let all other people comment.

And concerning constructive feedback and suggestions... I honestly don't see that you answer in a lot of these posts..

want an example? http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bleeding-lets-improve-it.56495/#post-943140 from 25th January

I think that one is important... but... you probably not...

Like so many other things which never see any real feedback or insight on the time the subject is active..

I rest my case and will not bother you again.. and I will not post I told you so again... because I told you so before already several times...

I know what I can do and what not.... take care... and have fun ruleing your empire.

Musaddict likes this.
  21. Offline

Sabersamus

EvilSeph im sorry to keep this topic going, and im even more sorry for tagging you, but (this IS on topic kinda) what exactly IS keeping the transition to dev.bukkit?

as for the community bit of this topic, i just want to say good job :) keep up the good work, and i appreciate everything you guys do for us! <3

Sleaker and Jozeth like this.
  22. Offline

NinjaGrinch

I ended up switching off BukkitDev and only listing my plugin on Spout.org. I can understand when there is a long of plugins but I waited at least 28 hours for my last update to HideMyName to get approved.

I know how much effort it takes to review a plugin and it should not have taken that long. :|

Jozeth likes this.
  23. Offline

Don Redhorse

well I can understand that dev.bukkit takes some time, what I can't understand is that a promised task is neglected and seems to take ages, especially when the plugin is already released on dev.bukkit

24. Offline

NeatMonster

One thing you must know: BukkitDev staff can only approve projects/files on BukkitDev.
    Projects/files sent on BukkitDev are usually approved/refused very quickly.

25. Offline

Don Redhorse

I know... I WAS BukkitDev Staff... I was harassing the moderators because I wanted them to fulfill the promise EvilSeph made that till the full decommission of releases and submissions the submission AND release forums would still be handled by the normal moderators.

and I refrain from posting more before I get banned

26. Offline

NeatMonster

In my opinion, the best would be to let BukkitDev staff handle also the Plugin Submissions and Plugin Releases forums.

27. Offline

Don Redhorse

/me hears the uproar of moderators without work

28. Offline

NeatMonster

Forums moderators have enough work with all the threads posted in the wrong section, etc.

29. Offline

Milkywayz

I put out a experimental plugin out on bukkit dev and it got responded to within 5 minutes.. I put out a plugin on the forums and it got approved overnight, i put it out at like 10pm est, it was approved when i woke up, honestly i agree with you, but i haven't had any problems yet. (i only released one on regular bukkit, bout to release another soon).

NeatMonster likes this.
  30. Offline

Don Redhorse

well I put out a plugin on dev.bukkit and it is available.. the thread in submissions is from around 2nd January..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.