why do i have to op all the players to let them do stuff?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by swordkid01, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Necrodoom

confused with the other thread, but anyway:
    the main point against PEX is that its not well coded:
    when PEX encounters an error in a YML, it crashes. this causes other plugins to error, unlike some other permission plugins which properly catch the error and shut themselves down.

PEX uses reflections to to craftbukkit, which means its not as stable and compatible as other permissions plugins (Bperms suffers from same issue) who use superperms API. on the case of PEX, this also means its harder for other plugins to hook to.

other problems are general design choices (such as SQL permission handling and saving all users including complete defaults to permissions.yml, slowing it down)

the secondary point is personal against the developer(s):
    in quite a few times, when a valid bug was presented to the developer, he insisted its not a bug, even though proven (see PEX document for mbaxter's experience) this made it hard to talk with him. another case would be the modifyworld place block node typo, which took 2 months to get fixed, although a pull existed during all that time and it only needed to be pulled.

the reason people tell you "you dont know how it breaks", because, really, you pretty much say that the code proofs of certain bugs mentioned here, dont exist (eg, the first one on here, aswell as the SQL one).

the reason as of why people like mbaxter want PEX banished, as the combination of these bugs, make PEX able to cause unexplainable errors within other plugins, these who are not clear as being caused by PEX (see PEX document for read time out bug)

does that help you understand my side?

2. Offline

lokpique

Clueless... you really don't bother reading what people say, do you...

I'm not here to debate what's good or bad or which plugins people think are broken... i merely told people off for constantly doing exactly what you just did... again... in the same thread...

They asked a PEX question... give a PEX answer instead of random hate. Watching you guys hijack threads with that stupid document every few days is simply getting old.

We get it... you hate PEX...

If you wanna trash on me, send me a PM... if you wanna trash on PEX, make a new thread for it.

3. Offline

Necrodoom

i tried to tell you why people dont like PEX.
    you ignore it.
    how nice.

also, direct quote: "do any of u know a good rank plagin" from OP post, can you explain me how is that a PEX question?

4. I get the impression that some people here are not interested in the community to improve, which includes plugins improving, but rather want to get rid of some people/plugins. That is a very bad attitude to adopt, especially for staff. This blends in well with the fire-and-forget strategy to never look for part of blame on staff-side, which we could see expressed pretty often during recent "safeguard"-discussions.

Just few hints:

1. How many people are involved in development of PEX right now?
    2. Using sql for permissions is not a design flaw in general.
    3. "asynchronous permission lookup" is one of the most idiotic things you could want to do as long as superperms itself is nowhere near thread-safe. The fact that such still is in a document which a whole campaign builds on, just shows that these people don't know what they are talking about.

I am not claiming that PEX is well coded, neither that it does not have some problems by "nature", but to me this "campaign" looks like people trying to do something stupid, partly managing to actually do such.

5. Offline

lokpique

Ignore it? More like already seen it... multiple times... I read the document you ALREADY POSTED in this thread.

Nothing got ignored... get over it... send me a PM if you wish to continue. You are simply just clawing for reasons to complain about me at this point.

Considering your response was to somebody recommending PEX...

Why not just recommend GM instead of crying about PEX again?

Seriously, read your first response again... you saw someone say PEX is good... went off about how it's bad... posted your document... recommended an alternative... and didn't even MENTION an alternative.

So you weren't here to help, you were here to trash on PEX.

Unless you see "use an alternative" as a proper response to somebody asking "hey, does anyone know a good alternative?"

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  6. Offline

Necrodoom

im not against plugin improving.
    ive seen the thread about the author wanting to make a PEX 2, and i have nothing against it.
    im against the plugin as it is now.

also:
    1. from what i remember, 1-3, but im not sure how is it related, because most permission plugins are developed by around the same amount.
    2. im not against the SQL, im against the way its handled. i dont see a need in SQL for myself, but i know some people need SQL, and i wont try telling them else.
    3. as far as i remember mbaxter recommends synced permission lookup?

er, posted the document only once? also how is recommending PEX == PEX question? am i not allowed to express my own opinion on an opinion thread?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  7. Offline

happyminertyler

8. Offline

lokpique

You posted the document, then repeated it all in a post... for not re-reading the same stuff you said i was ignoring you.

Never said you posted it multiple times... I said I read it multiple times. Read what I said and stop trying to put words in my mouth so you can continue to feed your ego by trashing on someone.

Seriously, read your first response again... you saw someone say PEX is good... went off about how it's bad... posted your document... recommended an alternative... and didn't even MENTION an alternative.

So you weren't here to help, you were here to trash on PEX.

Unless you see "use an alternative" as a proper response to somebody asking "hey, does anyone know a good alternative?"

Now please make a new thread for this or get over it.
    Or send me a PM because it's quite obvious your beef right now is with me.

9. How can such possibly do anything if superperms is not thread-safe ? There is no syncing possible for this, the main thread could at any time do arbitrary changes to the permissions while you look up "synced" from another thread. CraftBukkit or other plugins executing in the main thread do not care for syncing, the Bukkit-API does not have any synchronization for these calls, so syncing something "on your own" does not get you anywhere. Creating deadlocks with async calls to not-thread-safe methods just does not make any sense - in this way you can easily prove CraftBukkit to be the bad guy with the gun.

If PEX claims to have some thread safe permission look-up (not superperms) then you can blame them for broken extra-features if those create deadlocks, but that does not justify a campaign.

10. Offline

Necrodoom

you attack me, then expect me to "get over it"
    what the heck is your problem? what you want from me?
    i post my opinion about PEX, you attack me.
    someone posts there opinion about PEX, you attack GM (on the other thread)
    im trying to start a valid discussion with you about PEX, you tell me off saying that "this is a PEX question thread, you dont want to help!"

stop trying to tell me off. this is an opinion thread about permission plugins. i posted my opinion. if you dont like my opinion, make a proper arugment.

i will have to understand more about that subject before commenting on it, so id take your word.

11. Offline

lokpique

Actually this is a "looking for alternatives" thread... and you didn't recommend one. Congrats on hijacking yet another thread with this same issue.

I get the feeling you expect us to bow to your opinion, yet are unable to handle that of anyone else... especially if they support PEX as much as any other perms plugin.

Good luck with your campaign... and next time you attack somebody because you confused the threads, you shouldn't accuse them of attacking you.

I am allowed to hold an opinion about this long-term anit-PEX campaign, am I not?

12. Offline

Necrodoom

yet you are trying to trash my opinion.. makes sense.

13. Offline

lokpique

Perhaps you should read this thread from start to finish again... because I kept on subject until you made a personal remark about me instead of keeping to the subject of the permissions.

I can help point out the places where you misquoted me in order to try and tell me off about my logic if you wish?

I can even show you where you made this personal instead of keeping to the subject of the plugins themselves if you wish?

14. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Perhaps you could drop the attacks on each other.

PEX's reflection causes undesirable behavior under certain non-user-caused conditions, and its SQL support has been shown to cause 20 second freezes on permission updates. There's no need to turn facts into a battle of opinions. Please, keep the hate off the forums.

15. Thanks for "clarifying" "this".

16. Offline

swordkid01

thx people also could yall tell me some good rank plugins besides groupmanager and permissions
    a ounce got on a server that had ranks like trusted and t-mod and some other stuff

17. Offline

Jade

bPerms is a great perms system. Depends what kind of server you want, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.