Who wants the old plugin submission back?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by emericask8ur, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

lukegb

Because to do so would entirely screw up how CurseForge is designed to work. dev.bukkit.org is not a standalone instance, it is linked to minecraft.curseforge.com - proof: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/server-mods/?site=+ - and syncing logins across the two would get needlessly complex, which is why the Minecraft Forums simply had a migration system in place, then switched to solely Curse login.

2. Offline

Daniel Heppner

Oh. Okay, then. Still think it's stupid, but at least you have a good reason. :)

3. Offline

thescreem

Considering you made an account on the MinecraftFourms, your name is taken because the MinecraftForums uses Curse so you basically created a Curse account. Log into BukkitDev with your MinecraftForums username and password and it should work. ;)

pmx likes this.
  4. Offline

ktbanh

I'm giving the new dev bukkit a try, just now sure how both will work out having the old plugin list up and the new dev bukkit list going at the same time.

The new dev bukkit has nice tools for visual formats etc, file storage, better documentation. It's just different and most users are still drawn to the plugin section of old bukkit compared to the new dev bukkit.

5. Offline

Pencil

Wow, since when is voicing our opinions forbidden ? You act like you are the shit, it's my opinion and it won't change. Not even for you since you think you are so important. We could have said the same about ur rant on reinventing the wheel .

Why the fak would u care they are just trying to make something at all.

pmx likes this.
  6. Offline

Zarius

You misunderstand - I created the MinecraftForums account well before the Curse changeover - when I "merged" the accounts I had to create a new Curse account and found out that my username was taken.

My point to Nijokokun was that names do not need to be generic to be taken - unfortunately the net is such a big place that even creative (I played around with syllables to form what a name that I liked and at the time (1995) I had not seen the name anywhere) usernames may turn out not to be as unique as expected (Zarius turns out to be a real name used in Cypress and probably other places). I fight back by registering as Zarius whereever I can :D

I am a bit concerned about the terms of service:

By submitting, posting or displaying User Submissions on, to, or through Curse Websites (or its successors and affiliates), you grant Curse, Inc. a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferrable, royalty-free right to use, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, make derivative works of (except with regard to Submitted Add-Ons), transmit or otherwise utilize such User Submissions on Curse Websites (or its successors and affiliates).

Do plugins count as an "add-on"?

7. Offline

Taranis01

8. Offline

nisovin

9. Offline

chaseoes

Texture packs should not be considered client mods - if anything, make a separate category just for them (so we would have server mods, client mods, and texture packs).

10. Offline

feildmaster

You modify the original game on the client side, with texture packs... It's a client mod.

11. Offline

jasvecht

Calm down pal, don't want you to get in a bar fight with the local moddies! :p

And uhhh... Since when should BukkitDev be *attempting* to be the main site for SP mods and Texture Packs to? With all due respect- it's bukkit this site was made for. Stick to what you're good at, let others do what they are good at. You're not Microsoft or Google, there's no reason to expand to areas that have absolutely nothing to do with Bukkit...

12. Offline

Pencil

It's not that. I just hate arrogant basterds that think they are better than everyone else. Make a thread and QQ in it about little kids making plugins that already exist, while he basically tells us to suck it up here D:

13. Offline

jasvecht

Grhh, I dont mind plugins that already exist. I just wish the Bukkit Team would insert some form of quality control, I do not see how it helps the community to have the same plugin mentioned multiple times...

Shall I bring out a plugin so I can type /PluginDev and get the message "You are now a plugin developer!" and then submit it and harvest that cool pink rank on the forums? :D

I am planning on a big plugin, just need to learn some moar Java first. :D

Alternative would be making plugins have two lists, one on the latest updates/submissions, but a second based on a YouTube-like like system. Where you like/unlike plugins and they are listed based on that. Now I think of it, why not make a simple algorithm that values plugin based upon latest update/release, downloads and likes/dislikes? Balance it out to the point that if WorldEdit gets updated it's at top of first page, if say PEX get's updated it's in the top 10, but if HelloWorld v9450960 get's released it's on the second page or such? Then use this as main list and activity-based one as a second option?

Pencil likes this.
  14. Offline

Pencil

hah! do it :D

Or join troll coding haha we're currently making this:

[​IMG]

15. Offline

jasvecht

Epic idea, i'll join if there will be a gigantic "TROLLCODE APPROVED" in the title :D

My serious plugin plan is making a form of government system, much like a factions plugin or Towny but simple and more based on the political side of it. I always found it odd there isn't a single group-based plugin that
    - Allows members to actually elect a major/king etc
    - Allows WorldEdit areas to be used instead of full chunks
    - Allows itself to be fully world specific
    - Allows it to cost money/taxes
    - Allows a simple war-peace-neutral system changing nothing but the ability to kill someone or not.
    - Allows toggleable grief protection in the configuration for the areas in question (or only from members of the same nation :) )

Basically, a lightweight and simple Towny-Residence-Factions-Clans with a political system and simple enough to be fit for both, Survival AND creative :)

16. Offline

chaseoes

Exactly.

17. Offline

jasvecht

Actually a mod stands for Modification, I think a Texture Pack would be a skin or addon as you don't actually edit the games actual code- After all the default look is a texture pack as well.

18. Offline

feildmaster

simply because it was coded like that for easily changing the textures.

19. Offline

Pencil

You drop a texturepack into a folder, you don't "modify" any files inside the actual jar. Still somewhat a client sided mod but it should have its own category

20. Offline

Zarius

Hmm... an issue I have with the new site is the "last updated" - so if I have a stable plugin I don't need to update for ages it falls off the bottom of the list? Whereas here on the forums plugins stay on top if they have an active discussion (this, along with enforcement of "no bumping" rules - makes it a lot easier to find great plugins).

21. Offline

feildmaster

Now, you just need to look for the opposite. =P

Pencil likes this.
  22. Offline

bergerkiller

I have a few problems with the new system, and I would like some opinions on them:
    I have a full-featured page with videos, links, spoilers, how-to's and so much more. How can I possible get this done for a page with such limited options? Do I end up writing in HTML or something...

I end up managing two pages, actually three: dev.bukkit, org.bukkit and github. How can I possibly 'sync' these two? I see you can upload files, but I rather link to the github version. (which I always update first)

As noted in 1, it lacks a lot of features, such as quote boxes, spoilers, text sizes, headers, basically everything I used and looked neat.

Their smileys suck, no offence. :D

I don't mind setting up a page (I just did, awaits approval) but it took me 3 bloody hours to convert all syntax over into their annoying BB format. :eek:

To get an idea (no idea if others can see it already)

Pencil and emericask8ur like this.
  23. Offline

Fallen_Advent

Ok, Not to be rude, But for those of you that are getting all pissed off about the fact that new developers make the same style of plugins. Get over it. We make the same styles of plugins because nobody can put out a decent plugin tutorial that teaches something other than how to make a damn (Welcome to server "player-name") I admit there a couple tutorials that teach some other stuff, but they lack extensive detail and instruction. Honestly any one of you Dev's could screen capture yourself making a plugin while talking about it and call it a tutorial. But it is the person that makes 3-4 part tutorials and goes into depth with what they are doing that is going to help the new developers. I say this as a new developer myself. And I know I'm going to get a lot of crap about this post. But honestly I don't care, Its my opinion. And as most of you are declaring on this thread, I have a right to express it.

24. Offline

DrBowe

@Fallen_Advent
    It's not so much that they don't want new developers making them, it's that they don't want new developers releasing them.

If what you say is truly how you feel, then you're only making the 'same style plugin' to learn. So, if that's the case, why release it? It doesn't have to be released, right?

25. Offline

Zarius

Opposite? You mean look for plugins that haven't been updated in a long time? I think that's just going to get me a lot of inactive (or almost inactive) plugins.

I want to find plugins that a popular - on the forums I see the number of replies (I may still look at it but I can judge it's age & popularity beforehand), is there anyway you can see to sort the list on dev.bukkit by "popularity"? There doesn't seem to be a vote option anywhere.

26. Offline

Fallen_Advent

@DrBoweNur The reason we make them and release them is because we are looking for feedback, things such as,

1. How can we improve the coding (anything from taking out useless/outdated ways of doing things.)

2. Maybe there is a newer/quicker/more efficient way of doing things than we learned in the tutorial. Some of these tutorials were made back when the RB was in the 600-700's and they are outdated and tend to have a large amount of bugs.

So to kind of wrap up what I am trying to say, Tell us how to do the preceding things in a better way. Most new Dev's can only learn from experience, And in all reality it is the best way to learn.

I think that making a new plugin category, or even a new forum category for new Dev's to release and get feedback then that could solve your guy's recursion problem. Also, Maybe admins should check if a plugin is a recursion before allowing it to be released.

27. Offline

Zarius

I don't agree that admins need to be quite that strict (unless the plugin is an exact copy, ie. code-wise too).

I feel that a good "popularity" system will weed out the similar plugins and only the best of the bunch will appear at the top. Unfortunately dev.bukkit does not seem to have this option so the forums and blockface.org/plugins are the only (popularity search) options I know of at the moment.

(also a good category system is also important so that the popularity system is easier to navigate, but dev.bukkit seems to have plenty of categories)

28. Offline

Fallen_Advent

@Zarius I can see where you guys are coming from, A popularity search would be good.

Here is my only problem with it (not really a problem, just a personal opinion)

A popularity system is going to hurt not only the new Dev's but the experienced ones too. If a new plugin is launched by a experienced Dev, it will still not show up on the popularity system, even if it was something that revolutionized the way we work with server mods (hint hint "Spout")

While it would eventually work its way up, it would take ages to get there.

Ultimately, I think it is a good idea, I may be missing your point though, I apologize if I am

29. Offline

Zarius

We already have a popularity system here - new plugins get pushed off the front page of the "Releases" thread in about a half hour & you generally only see the most popular ones on that page but Spout still got established :)

30. Offline

Fallen_Advent

@Zarius Spout also had the rep of BukkitContrib preceding it, That is the main reason why it got established. That and Afforess has a HUGE fan base,

Anyways, I could argue this point forever, so I'm going to say that I understand where you are coming from. I was trying to share my thoughts and I think that I accomplished it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.