Solved Whitelist Problem & Server Overload??

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by gpd209, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

gpd209

Hi - I'm a Dad trying to learn Minecraft to bond with my son. I'm admittedly pretty clueless. I set up a hosted server so he could play with his friends. All in all, things are working well. The server is running Bukkit.

I configured it to have a whitelist. I've successfully added several players to the whitelist.

But there is one single friend that I can't whitelist. Every time I use the /whitelist add command with this particular kid's username, I get this response from the console:

WARN Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2279ms behind, skipping 45 tick(s)​

I can add and remove all his other friends from the whitelist no problem. I've restarted the server. Everything else with the server seems to be running just fine - several players are on the server as I type.

I figured maybe my son got his friend's username wrong. So I looked it up on a website (namemc). The username checks out.

Then I tried adding a totally made-up username. I checked namemc just to make sure the username doesn't exist. When I tried to whitelist the username, I got the exact same error.

So, for some reason, my server thinks the user I'm trying to add is not a real user.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Offline

teej107

That means the server is lagging behind and it has no correlation with the whitelist command.

3. Offline

gpd209

The error only occurs when I run that particular command with the one specific user (and the fake user). There are no other lag or performance issues.

I'm now experiencing the same error when I try to whitelist add another real user. So the problem isn't limited to a single user anymore. However - the error ONLY arises when I try whitelist add, and it occurs EVERY time I try whitelist add with these two particular users. (And to clarify, the command fails - they don't get added to the whitelist).

UPDATE: It appears that I can't add any new users at all to the whitelist. I've tried to add two friends. And I've tried to add two people whose usernames are public. All failed. And all gave me the same error message (Can't keep up). I had successfully whitelisted 9 users before this problem emerged, and now I can't add any.

UPDATE 2: I tried disabling all my plugins (all 2 of them). No luck.

UPDATE 3: I deleted the whitelist file. I am able to add back the users who were originally whitelisted, but no other users.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  4. Offline

gpd209

From MCProHosting Tier II Support:

As for the whitelist error, unfortunately, that's a bug with Mojang's session servers. The only real workaround is to drop the whitelist temporarily, and have everyone who's supposed to be on the whitelist log on, and then add them to the whitelist, before re-enabling it. I realize it's inconvenient, however, until Mojang fixes this bug, it is the only temporary fix.

5. Offline

gpd209

For posterity's sake, I'll just add that the problem vanished overnight. Somehow, my whitelist file was deleted, my server was restarted, and several of my server files were replaced (all in the a.m. of 2/7/16). I'm now able to add as many players as I like to the whitelist from the console. I'm very happy that the problem disappeared, but wish I knew what changed.

Also, for reference, I found others with the same problem: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...enly-cant-add-players-to-op-list-or-whitelist

6. Offline

oceantheskatr

Glad to see your problem was resolved, if you don't have any other questions then make sure to mark your thread as solved. Click the red "this" in my signature (located under my first post in this thread) for more information on how and when to mark your thread as solved.

7. Offline

gpd209

Thanks for the heads-up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.