Where/how can I learn Java?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Kawaii_Kat17, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Kawaii_Kat17

Hello, first of all this is my first post and I hope i'm posting this in the right place!
    I know this question must of been answered tons of times so sorry :(

I am completely new to learning, I don't know any languages.
    but i am looking to learning java as i want to start developing plugins for my future server.
    so i have some questions that you hopefully help me out on! :)

1: Wheres the best place to learn java? even if its a book?
    2: how much java will i need to learn for plugins? sure i would love to know tons of java, but for now i just want to know as much that will let me build plugins.

and 3: how long will this learning process take? i will be learning 24 7 as i have no life lol...

thanks for taking your valuable time in answering my Questions :) and also, im pretty stupid in learning so will it be hard for me to learn? thnx!

2. Offline

Halmerson

@Kawaii_Kat17
    I liked Java For Dummies. But thenewboston is a great YouTube channel in my opinion.

3. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

4. Offline

Kawaii_Kat17

@timtower @Halmerson thank you both for your help, i chose to watch Derek Banas as it looks like he has heaps of tutorials. also how much java will i need to learn to make plugins? learning heaps would be good, but i only would be using Java to make plugins so i dont think ill need to know tons? right?

5. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Kawaii_Kat17 All depends on what kind of plugins you want to make.
    Things that you need to know: object oriented programming, constructors, sets/collections, maps, avoiding static, normal flow control and basic debugging.
    Those things are the basics.

6. Offline

Kawaii_Kat17

Oh my, might be worth learning tons of java then:confused: well thanks for you help! its really appreciated :)

7. Offline

mcdorli

Just don't jump, so don't go straight learning hiw constructors work, just because it's in the list

8. Offline

Kawaii_Kat17

@mcdorli Ive bought a book for my ipad lol, the book is "java for dummies all in one" it has 9 books in one and did cost me alot so im hoping i can learn from this and not from youtube videos ;)

9. Offline

Lolmewn

10. Offline

Kawaii_Kat17

Oh thanks :) Ill definitely check that out also! :D

11. Offline

mcdorli

The ."... for dummies" are pretty good, yeah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.