When will CraftBukkit for 1.3 be released?

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

With the Minecraft 1.3 release date fast approaching, a lot of people are wondering when we will be releasing a CraftBukkit Recommended Build for Minecraft 1.3. We hope this short announcement will answer those questions.

Due to the size of the impending 1.3 update, we are unable to guarantee that we'll have a compatible CraftBukkit Recommended Build out in time for the release of Minecraft 1.3. Although we started working on the update immediately after the Minecraft 1.3 preview was made available to the public, a lot of things were added, removed and changed in Minecraft from 1.2.5 and, as such, this update requires more work than usual to get things up and running. That being said, we'll continue to do our best to get an update out within a reasonable amount of time and will likely follow our usual policy of promoting the first Recommended Build the moment we get something that compiles and runs without any testing done whatsoever.

As we have done a significant amount of important work on CraftBukkit 1.2.5 builds since our last RB, we'll be promoting a new Recommended Build shortly. This is done so that people have a reliable, stable build to use until we can get a 1.3 compatible build out and so that everyone who relies on Recommended Builds are able to take advantage of all the fixes, improvements and so on we've done since the last 1.2.5 RB.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and continued support; we greatly appreciate it!

2. Offline

markd315

That's never going to happen. Mojang does not have anything to do with bukkit. They are generous to allow a 1 week delay. You aren't going to get more than that. While I agree that vanilla minecraft servers suck, it's still never going to happen. Mojang is too stuck-up for that. I agree that they should work together better, but it's not happening. Sorry.

3. Offline

Frost_Blue

Most of the plugins wont have a problem wih the 1.3 update and you will not need to update them

No. Most plugins will not need to be updated and will work fine with 1.3

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  4. Offline

markd315

Yay! That's good news. But now I can't connect to minecraft.net... Anyone else with this issue?

5. Offline

czahrien

Yeah, the login servers must be down.

6. Offline

Siggy999

Yep, but I'd imagine that would be a blessing in disguise for a lot of server admins... Not having a RB of Bukkit ceases to be an issue when nobody can connect to a multiplayer server!

7. Offline

blufat2

This finally reached 100 pages lol

Anthony13 likes this.
  8. Offline

Darthmineboy

You seem to know a bit of it, before 1.3 my server worked fine, now when some1 joines it crashes and gives a java error.. I have 64 bit xp .. Tomorrow I ll be testing my server on windows 7 have you got any ideas why it doesnt work anymore?

9. Offline

cdav

a lot of plugins use chat commands so they will need updated.. your statement is wrong. have u tryed the dev builds? every plugin that uses the outdated api needs updated. so "most" plugins will need an update.

10. Offline

stabbs

I'm so glad when 1.4 comes out (with the official API) we won't need projects like Bukkit anymore. I appreciate the work and all, but my criticism of them has not changed at all since I've learned of them, they are too amateurish to be relied upon imho.

11. Offline

cdav

You do relise its the bukkit members that are creating the 1.4 api? lol
    maybe you can do better?

Jaiguru likes this.
  12. Offline

hiestbreaker

i just want to see one of these next pages saying 1.3 RB is out and they arnt lying!

13. Offline

Kanlaki101

I think the fact of the matter is..
    If you don't know what you're talking about, why even try?

They are obviously working on the 1.3 update as diligently as possible.
    It'll be released when it's finished.

As for the people saying, "I can't wait for 1.4, no more Bukkit"..
    Do you honestly think that the new official mod API will work 'out of the box' day one? Go back into your closet..

Jaiguru and cdav like this.
  14. Offline

Miamore

Take out orebfuscator. Try again.

https://bukkit.atlassian.net/browse/BUKKIT-2084

15. Offline

Pendar2

My worlds have a lot of chunks loaded, and doesn't go down. Eventually I have to restart the server. This didn't happen back in 1.2.5. Is this a bukkit bug? The player count isn't even that high. I am using the latest 1.3.1 dev build. Also by server is having tps lag and sometimes command/chat lag. Are there others having these problems and is it going to be fixed?

16. Offline

TheHellspawn

Week 1: Weak and Hungry and still waiting for Craftbukkit 1.3.1 Recommended build ...

17. Offline

Stirlitz

AFAIK, it doesn't update automatically, though I have noticed some sort of update config in the bukkit.yml file since 1.2 or so. I recommend CraftBukkitUpToDate (once it itself is updated) for managing plugin updates.

Most plugin devs will only need to do a quick Ctrl+F and replace the class names.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  18. Offline

ryanhamshire

It sounds like you're saying that you will release an untested build labelled as a tested build, intentionally so that those who haven't read your forum post will get their worlds corrupted and understand why they shouldn't trust dev builds. But what you'll be teaching them as that they can't even trust any builds, since a recommended build is what will be wrecking their servers. In addition to punishing the many who refuse to understand the difference between a recommended build, a beta build, and a developer build, you're also punishing those who did their homework previously and who reasonably assume you've not changed your quality standards.

Lowering your quality standards to stop people from whining about your release schedule will just replace all of those ignorant "The RB is too slow!" whines with perfectly valid "You recommended a build that's a complete piece of garbage and now my server is ruined!" whines.

Please reconsider something vaguely like this:

Hide the developer builds by default, and put a huge banner on top of their download list so that anyone who downloads them reads something like "These builds are for plugin developers, and may permanently destroy your world or result in other unrecoverable server situations. At the very least, you should make regular (daily) backups if you intend to use any of these builds on a live (non-test) server".

Define beta builds as "Testing incomplete. Likely to include some severe issues which impact only some servers or only some players. Do not use these builds unless you backup your server regularly (recommended daily)".

Define recommended builds as "No known bugs which may cause data loss. May include bugs which can be worked-around or otherwise recovered from, or which surface only when specific plugins are used".

Also, one more suggestion. The ONLY place you know that every server owner visits is the download page. Any major announcements would be most well-communicated if they were delivered as part of the download experience, rather than as a forum post on a separate site. MANY will not read your post here, and will download the recommended build, reasonably assuming that it will be as stable as previously labelled "recommended builds".

Thank you all VERY much for your hard work. I can only imagine how hard this update must be, given that we've had the changes for some time now and you all don't even have a compiling/zero-testing build out, yet. Many of the server owners who use my plugins have been in my comments asking for update after update, so that tells me that they're not running dev builds because they feel that the features they get indirectly from bukkit are incredibly important to them, so much so that they'd rather run 1.2.5 than 1.3.1 without bukkit support. That says a lot about how important your work is. Thanks and good luck!

19. Offline

Jaiph

As cdav pointed out, this statement only shows your ignorance as most of the new Mojang staff members are directly from Bukkit. The reason Bukkit has grown into what it is today is because of it's quality control which has honestly out performed Mojang a lot of the time and why most server hosts use it rather than vanilla. Releasing a Recommended Build when there are still a lot of bugs/changes to work through? Now that would be amateurish.

Jaiguru likes this.
  20. Offline

CompeteToDefeat

<snip>

That comment about the first RB being the very first thing they could get to compile and run was said sarcastically, since you can't seem to figure it out. Come on man use your brain at least a little, if that had been a serious statement an RB would have been out a week+ ago.

And by the way on the alternate downloads page recommended, beta and development builds are all clearly marked as such. If somebody is foolish enough to d/l a development build and think it's not going to have any bugs then they probably don't have much business even running a public server.

Jaiph likes this.
  21. Offline

cookiebuster

i hope its gone be done shortly but keep up the good work.

22. Haha I need to learn patience... I find that funny... this is no longer a matter of patience long waits like are unacceptable. The guys here do a great job with bukkit but they let themselves down when there is an update to minecraft.

23. Offline

brilliantjoe

If you were paying for bukkit then sure, MAYBE a long wait for a new build might be unnacceptable, but you aren't paying for bukkit. You are free to go and use one of the alternatives.

Jaiguru, Jaiph and madmac like this.
  24. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

If you have fixes for the issues currently affecting the dev build please submit them.

404Ninja and Jaiguru like this.
  25. Offline

CraftUrToe

i think the lag got worse in this version lol hopefully they can find and fix lag problems xD

26. Offline

madmac

Take your time bukkit. We all know you are doing your best. ;)

Jaiguru likes this.
  27. Offline

Siggy999

Long waits like what? In a previous post you mentioned a week.. but it's been 4 days. That's only BARELY half a week, and you couldn't even use the 'business week' argument as 2 of those days were on a weekend.

Put that against one of the most feature changes/additions I've seen in a Minecraft update.

Put it in serious perspective here - if you were running a modded Mojang server, chances are you'd still be waiting for some of those mods to be updated.
    If you were running a server you coded the mods for yourself, you'd probably still be modifying those mods to work with your server.

4 days thus far isn't anything... if folks are going to complain about 'a week' they should first wait a week.

Jaiguru likes this.
  28. Offline

BlazinDevan

The Bukkit Dev's should be taking a break In my opinion. Everyone wants them to hurry with a Recommended Build, but I think they should Keep a steady pace, so they don't overlook any Minor issues. One major problem most people on my server and other servers see is the extreme lag that occurs. They will fix it, give them time, this was a huge update, you can't expect it out this early, it's not like they don't read these posts, with it going over 100 pages now.

Jaiguru likes this.
  29. Offline

jeffro1001

"Moooooo"

That's about all I got from your post.

Don't worry about it bukkit guys.

My players are doing just fine playing vanilla right now. They are smart enough to realize that these things take time.
    I'm looking forward to the RB, and if it takes you three or four weeks to get it working that perfectly fine with me and my playerbase.

Jaiguru and madmac like this.
  30. Offline

markd315

4 days plus 7 days... I'm not complaining either, but they have had 11 days. You must count everything after the prerelease. The whole reason minecraft has the pre-release is for bukkit and similar server mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.