When will Bukkit be updated for Minecraft 1.6?

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Staff Update - July 1, 2013:
    This thread is not from 2013. This thread is about the 2011, BETA version of Minecraft 1.6. There is no ETA for the 2013 Minecraft 1.6 update, as always. Please do not ask staff about when an update will happen, as they have no estimate for you. Again, this thread is not relevant to today's update.

Update 2 - June 23, 2011 at 9:12PM EST:
    New Recommended Build #928.

This Recommended Build addresses a few API issues and provides Plugin Developers with more events to work with, allowing more awesome plugins to be made. Unfortunately, this new RB WILL break some plugins (mostly plugins that deal with controlling a player's movement - details can be found near the end of this announcement). As always, please be sure to backup your server before updating just in case!

See this post for more information.

Update - May 30th, 2011 at 5:55PM EST:
    Since the release of Minecraft 1.6, we've seen quite a few rapid-fire bugfix updates from Mojang addressing issues the community has noticed and reported back on. While we're glad Mojang are on top of things and getting updates out there quickly to improve the community's experience, this does result in extra work on our part since we have to re-do some of the work we've completed for the previous update. As a result, I made the decision to hold off on getting a build out for Minecraft 1.6 until we were able to evaluate the update and decide if that is what we feel we should do or not.

Over the weekend, that is what we have been busy doing. Unfortunately, I was out of town and unable to handle the situation as much as I would have liked, leading to a lack of communication on our part with you guys, our community. Nevertheless, my team was happily and diligently working on the update and in regular contact with me. Still, I would like to apologise for our lack of communication, I simply was not in a position to do so.

That being said, we have noticed a few issues with the update that we've been able to address, so we are leaning towards bringing out a build for Minecraft 1.6.5. Though this build may not address all the issues we've found, it is still usable and produces a playable server with a decent experience. However, I am not yet sure if this build will qualify for recommendation.

Please bear this in mind when using the build: it is not fully supported (though we welcome detailed, useful bug reports) and not recommended (we can't guarantee stability) to use. There are some Minecraft vanilla issues that Mojang need to address that are beyond the scope of our project to fix and we are still touching things up (like Nether/multiworld support).

If you want to use the build we'll be pushing soon, please backup your server and make sure you understand the risks before doing so. Once again, we cannot guarantee that it won't eat your cake or spawn tiny creeper babies that take over your world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm sure we're all aware, Mojang released Minecraft 1.6 today (Thursday, May 26, 2011) around 5AM EST and we've been hard at work getting a build out that is compatible with Minecraft 1.6 out. Since the release, Minecraft has seen quite a few small bugfix updates addressing some unnoticed bugs and we've pretty easily kept up with them. Unfortunately, there appear to be some issues with the update that is making the game unplayable for SMP players, so we've decided to wait for a bugfix update before we recommend any builds.

Will there be a CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.6?
    Given the reports of showstopping bugs present in 1.6, there's a high chance a new bugfix update for Minecraft will be out tomorrow or even several times this week. As a result, it is unlikely we will be releasing a Recommended Build for 1.6 until we have something stable to work with.

That being said, we recommend everyone stay on 1.5 for a while until the showstopping issues are fixed and we can get a new, stable, compatible build out.

You can already get CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.6.4, but it is unsupported and not recommended.

I'll be scouring the internet for further reports on how Minecraft 1.6 is performing, but preliminary research and our own testing has revealed it as unplayable due to chunks sporadically loading or not loading.

jeussa, Azell, khamseen_air and 34 others like this.
  2. Offline

Aesran

+1

pagan0ne likes this.
  3. Offline

Archelaus

Quit spamming.

Here's my cocky and logical reply.

In case you don't understand, refer to the top of my response.

4. Offline

Robinboy62

i hope the good version (1.6) in this month :D
    the people who complain of my server to play XD

5. Offline

SaltyStick

The highlighted bit above is exactly like i feel at the moment, my members are wanting to know when they can use the plugins. All i am asking, do they have a rough estemaite on a time. Not demanding for it to be done, not asking, just wondering so i can shut my members up by saying "right guys bukkit it due to be release on such and such date"

Do understand the difference between asking to annoy and asking to stop getting annoyed.

6. Offline

Rocky

Well now see, this makes sense. Just so you know, i'm not spamming on purpose. I get on and i see 11 replies and so many alerts and whatnot, and i address them accordingly, Im pretty sure you have the power to (conjoin) posts? Im not saying you should or have to, but that's one of the solutions to this rare occurance.

But of course. I'll be more careful with my posting. Does that clear the air up a bit?

7. Offline

Archelaus

I've done it already, I just get hacked off when people use different posts per reply. It makes the forums look untidy.

8. Offline

Rocky

Well good, glad things are all fixed up. As far as the future goes, no need to go "Hacking off" with me anymore, i'll make sure i pay attention next time. Even if it is 4 am and i should probably go to sleep in the first place instead of replying.

But to be fair. Your monkey changes colors.

9. Offline

troed

It takes around 3 minutes reading this thread to get to the following answer, which should suit you and your members:

1) Minecraft 1.6.4 is "somewhat" buggy - notch is going in to work today to fix the worst
    2) Bukkit is updated for 1.6.4 (b815) and most plugins seem to work fine. Since MC is buggy they won't recommend a build though, waiting for notch's bugfixes, and thus some plugin authors might not update either
    3) If you're fine (we are) with a "somewhat" buggy 1.6.4 experience then feel free to make a complete backup and upgrade. Else wait for [see #1 and #2 above].

Rinse & repeat.

10. Offline

Wakko

Yah, I guess updates from Notch letting us know he's aware of these bugs would be nice.
    He might though, but I don't really use Twitter or Facebook so I wouldn't know.
    But seeing as how known the bugs are, he probably knows now. :p

11. Offline

Jonathan Thorpe

I'm just gonna copy/paste what I wrote in another thread on here about 1.6...

I have to say that 1.6.4 is slower than 1.5 in SSP, haven't tried SMP yet because I'm waiting for a stable CraftBukkit for 1.6 before upgrading my server. So I hope there are more updates for 1.6 to make performance better. My computer is no slouch - I play DiRT 3 at 1440x900 and get 50fps+. So to suddenly have a very stuttery Minecraft was a bit of a disappointment. I'm also using the latest JAVA, so no issues there. I personally think there will be more updates today, and probably next week. Notch fixed a lot of bugs in 1.6, so chances are, lots of new issues have been created. It's an old problem of programming -- fix one bug, create a dozen new ones. Be patient - it may take time, so use the time wisely and play something else until everything settles down - don't forget, people need time to update plugins too, and texture packs... now is NOT the time to be doing anything too drastic involving Minecraft.

12. Offline

Arkel

https://twitter.com/notch

To clarify, yes, he is aware of the bugs, and he is fixing them today.

13. Offline

eirik-ff

When the new Bukkit come out, do I need to update the plugins?

14. Offline

NoMad

@eirik-ff we cannot say if you have to, because we don't know which plugins you have and which changes will be done.
    But personally, I don't think most of the plugins will break without update, on the not-recommended 1.6 builds all my plugins work fine (Essentials suite).

PS: You are awesome, bukkit team :D fixing bugs before mojang does :D :D

eirik-ff likes this.
  15. Offline

DannyCare

Lol. I used Windows PC's from being 4 years old with 95, 98, 2000, XP etc up until I got my mac a few years back, with no problems (Apart from the pure slowness of the hardware). 7 is buggy as hell, although I recently got a SSD for it which has sped things up a lot. I was trying to give a balanced opinion of both, and give you some understanding as to why creative types use macs (Although you probably already know and are just trolling, in which case shame on you sir :)). And it's not to be 'trendy' or whatever, because I'm most certainly not trendy xD. I just wanted a laptop that would last longer than 2 years before having a problem. And what even is a hipster? Lol. We don't tend to stereotype people based on their abilities/talents/appearance in the UK, everyone kinda just accepts each other. You should try it some time :)

16. Offline

NoMad

17. I find it amusing that, first off, Notch doesn't release the server first, so owners can get everything working okay, and report bugs back before going live. And second that, despite all his bug-fixing efforts, he's managed to make the thing unplayable. In one of his twitter posts he mentioned that had a QA system in place to prevent such instances. One imagines therefore, that his QA process is for the client only (which has gotten really laggy as a result of this update, specially with a map in your hands).

18. Offline

Connor Byrne

19. Offline

iFearz

Servercraft is hosting my server and since they're using McMyAdmin Web Edition (Something like that :p) I can only update to recommed builds... I wanted to use 815 since almost all of my users updated anyway (I did warn them) but now they're complaining cause they can't get in and almost every day they ask 10 times when the server is going to be updated.

So please Bukkit, be as fast as you can cause they're annoying me xD

20. Offline

john111898

I have not had any problems with bugs. I guess I'm lucky then![sheep]

21. Offline

Marium0505

How does it goes with the update? When do you believe there will be released a recommended build?

22. Offline

Jonathan Thorpe

Why the hell are people asking for updates to CraftBukkit when 1.6.4 is unstable? Markus, Jens and Tobias are in the office RIGHT NOW on a weekend fixing bugs, so as soon as something gets released, the CraftBukkit team will start work. They can't work with nothing, can they? Be patient, and WAIT. Spamming Twitter, Minecraft Forums and here won't do anything to help matters.

SqgSquattingBear likes this.
  23. Offline

KillerKlown

24. this is a freekin computer game, as much as i love minecraft there is certainly NO REASON to blame notch for anything.

Notch gave us minecraft like you mommy gave you food. Now STFU.

25. Offline

N3X15

Actually, we can bitch when Mommy makes dinner with a new recipe she came out with while drunk off her ass, and doesn't taste to see if it's even palatable.

Meaning Notch didn't test any of this shit, which is plainly obvious. And he has a million dollars and goes on vacations every week, He's far from stressed.

Fohdeesha and JMX like this.
  26. Offline

growlizing

I am fairly new to the whole minecraft thing, but I have to say that it feels abit uneasy that the clientupdates are pushed out with such major serverissues in place, effectively making SMP unplayable.

I succumbed to the users and update my server to dev-versions of craftbukkit (still thanks for the awesome work you do! <3), and build 815 runs ok-ish for my very small server with 5-6 people online at the same time. At least huge improvement from 814. :)

27. Offline

elitefroggy

It works fine single player.. calm down people, he doesn't officially support bukkit does he? and the normal minecraft servers work dont they? whats the problem, its the bukkit devs who need to get a build released not notch is it?

28. Offline

N3X15

Bukkit is waiting on Notch, actually. You see, every time Notch releases a Minecraft update, it's after a night of whores and booze and something always breaks. Now EvilSeph and his comrades have to wait while Notch rolls himself out of some bar's urinal and figure out that shit's broken, and then figure out how to code.

JMX likes this.
  29. Offline

lastof

Emphasis Added. The issue is that they don't. The issues with a loop causing high CPU usage, chunks rendering slowly, items breaking if dropped, lighting updates not happening, etc, are all issues with notch's code. And all are major bugs. Luckily now that he has noticed the uproar he is in the office working on it. A recent tweet says:
    So hopefully it will all be fixed soon, so that the bukkit devs can do their thing, and we can get a recommended build.

30. Offline

Trumple

Do bukkit devs work on weekends?
    If so, +100 internets

31. Offline

pagan0ne

the proper reply to the members is 'when its ready'. When coding you cannot give accurate estimates on when things like this will happen, especially when your code depends on someone else's obfuscated code that can be updated and re-obfuscated at any time. On top of that you have plugin dev's who all may or may not need to update their plugins to be compatable with the new build, who may or may not have time to do it, and in some cases have left the community entirely. Because of this, it is not possible to provide ETA's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.