When will Bukkit be updated for Minecraft 1.5?

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

Update:
    We have completed the update to Minecraft 1.5_02 (and have had it done for a while now) and are working out a few issues before we promote a recommended build. A TEST ONLY build is available but we highly recommend that you wait until we promote a Recommended Build before putting it on your production server.

You can find the latest test build on ci.bukkit.org. Please note, though, that if you don't already know how to get it, you probably shouldn't be using it. Only Recommended Builds have gone through extensive testing. Anything else could result in unforeseen problems like Bukkit eating your cake or your world. You have been warned.

---------------------------

Common Problems/Questions:
    What's the first build that works with Minecraft 1.5_02
    The first CraftBukkit build that works with Minecraft 1.5_02 was made available 2 days ago and is build #689. However, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that if you are running the test builds, you always stay up to date as we usually fix bugs, exploits and improve stability.

I downloaded build 714 but got some other build!
    You're probably reading the version string incorrectly.

Here's an example version string:
    git-Bukkit-0.0.0-686-g71ef92a-b714jnks (MC: 1.5_02)

This version string is for build 714, as you can tell by the "b714jnks" at the end.

Whenever I use a plugin that changes blocks, I can't see the changes until I reconnect!
    We had an issue with blocks not updating properly but this has since been fixed from build #707. This bug affected plugins that changed blocks in game, like WorldEdit.

Help! My console keeps getting spammed with this error whenever someone gets kicked or disconnects and it lags the server!
    This is a bug we've fixed from build #701 onwards.

I can't build or destroy anything! Help!?
    The common cause of this issue is a client mod called Single Player Commands, please try uninstalling all your client mods and seeing if this fixes the issue. If this is the case, then it isn't a Bukkit issue and you should contact the author of the mods you use.

Every time I connect to the server and load a sign, the client crashes. What's wrong?
    Minecraft 1.5 has added limits for sign text. Plugin developers commonly used longer sign text to store extra data or add colours to signs. This is no longer possible, so we now cut off any line in a sign longer than 15 characters (as of build #712).

I get kicked when flying and am told that flying hasn't been enabled on this server. How do I enable flying?
    Minecraft 1.5 added anti-flying checks. You can enable flying by setting allow-flight=true in server.properties.

Whenever I try to send a long message in chat, it gets cut off at roughly two lines.
    A limit on chat has been added with Minecraft 1.5. This is one of the issues we're hoping to address before we promote a Recommended Build.

Help! When I use the CLI arguments to set ports (or any setting), the server always starts up on 25565 or ignores the setting!
    There was a bug that prevented the server from reading settings passed through CLI arguments. This has since been fixed from build #706 onwards.

The easiest fix for most problems is to update to the latest Bukkit test build.

--------------------------------

As is the case with every Minecraft update, we saw our usual influx of extra traffic from people wondering if we have a build of CraftBukkit working with the Minecraft update seconds after release (seriously). Usually, you'd see a pretty standard post from me stating we're working on an update and providing the usual advice that you aren't forced to update. However, this time there was a distinct lack of communication from the team regarding the status of the update, other than the usual "we're working on it". Couple this with the slow development occurring lately and we can forgive people for posting the expected "is Bukkit dead?" or "what's going on?" posts. I hope this post will explain everything.

Will there be a CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.5?
    Given the reports of showstopping bugs present in 1.5, there's a high chance a new bugfix update for Minecraft will be out tomorrow or even several times this week. As a result, it is unlikely we will be releasing a 1.5 compatible build and, instead, will be waiting for something stable to work with.

Due to the nature of the project and the methods we use to provide Bukkit for Minecraft, any update - no matter how small - requires us to figure out the mapping of obfuscated classes and update our code. This takes a lot of time and work, so hopefully you understand our decision.

Having said all this, we recommend that you stay on 1.4 for a while until the patch storm subsides if your server depends on Bukkit.

Further, I wanted to apologise for the lack of communication regarding this update. I was really hesitant announcing this since it would only serve to disappoint and annoy people, however, I noticed quite a few supportive comments on here and IRC that pushed me to post this announcement because the people that have supported us through everything deserve it.

Why are things so quiet? Why is the update taking so long?
    Before I answer this, I think it is appropriate to cover what usually happens when we're aware of an update coming soon. Whenever we recieve word of a Minecraft update (which, contrary to popular belief, is generally the same time as everyone else), we place all development in the Bukkit project under a code freeze to prepare for the update and make things easier. That being said, last week thursday we were expecting a Minecraft update and appropriately placed the project under a code freeze. Unfortunately, the update was delayed and pushed to the next week, resulting in a much longer code freeze than normally occurs. Naturally, this lead to activity within the project seeming critically lower than it really was and prompted some people to post the inevitable "what's going on?" thread.

On top of the code freeze, we're working on some larger changes to Bukkit or CraftBukkit that require quite a bit of time to complete and will only be commited to the public code when they are ready. Quite often you'll find that, while you don't see any updates, we definitely are still working hard programming awesome things and appreciate your patience and support.

So why is this update taking so long? After we had updated for Minecraft 1.4, we came across some annoying chunk related issues and bugs that were incredibly difficult to pinpoint due to confusion with the new obfuscated names mappings (d -> c and c -> d). Naturally, these kinds of issues were unacceptable for the project and we immediately got to work on improving our update process to avoid issues of this nature in the future. While I think we can all agree with this decision, the unfortunate result is the delay we're currently facing since we're not yet done improving the process. The good news is, we're nearly done improving our update handling process and the wait will definitely be worth it come future updates.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Azukay, Nuinbot, pcgames3112 and 54 others like this.
  2. Offline

JDD

Well said sir and good choice!

3. Offline

PhantomGamers

Notch better hurry his ass up with 1.5_01 then. :-P
    Keep up the good work though! Can't wait to see what comes in the future updates. :)

narte likes this.
  4. Offline

Toasty

It's good to see an update regarding the status of bukkit. I'm fine with waiting for a stable SMP release before seeing a bukkit update, though I am a bit frustrated with Mojang for releasing code with so many bugs in it (it may be beta, but beta cycles are usually about fixing bugs, not making them).

Anyway, keep up the good work!

baldosa and mistresswitch like this.
  5. Offline

Pjstaab

I'm glad to at least have an announcement. Does notch even test his stuff before releasing? How do you not notice the minetrack bug?

6. Offline

PurelySatanic

As much as I would love to see CraftBukkit be updated to 1.5, I understand where you're coming from and hopefully those that read this realize that a project of this size is an immense undertaking, and the fact the code has been obfuscated makes it exponentially worse.

Good to have word on what's going on :)

Peter Veldman and Nick Anstey like this.
  7. Offline

TazzyFFS

Cool, but erhm, take ur time and make the version of bukkit good instead of jsut rushing it :-D
    But a question, so u can have the 1.4_01 version and still get it to work with bukkit ? :p

8. Offline

Rocky

I certainly appreciate the heads-up, i was certainly worried that someone fucked someone else's girlfriend or something of that sort went down that caused the big guys to get all mad at each other.

Nick Anstey likes this.
  9. Offline

neko259

It's all up to Notch now...

10. Offline

Black_Jack

Damn i need that update as the new pants

hofec likes this.
  11. Offline

Hoddie54

Thanks to the update on the situation.

12. Offline

Deathlysteve-

thanks for answering haha i just sent a message then 5 minutes later i saw this come up :) cleared up things thanks

13. Offline

Kaikz

I'm sure most of us understand fully, and I respect that, but wouldn't having even a rough build for plugin developers to somewhat get an idea of what to expect come 1.5-final time, thus softening the blow for them when it is out?

14. Offline

PurelySatanic

Chances are there won't be major changes to the API for 1.5. So developers shouldn't have much of an issue updating.

1.3-1.4 there were really no changes to the API if I recall.

EDIT: Excluding adding new hooks and methods for added gameplay mechanics

15. Offline

terwilliker

Thanks, good to know the status. Since users can postpone upgrades now it has not been a big issue for my small group. Bukkit and the plug ins are great!

16. Offline

ra-ka

UPDATE... I'm waiting
    All clients had already updated to 1.5 but not the server!
    ---
    Sry for bad english, I'm german

17. Offline

PurelySatanic

Google translate: Bitte haben Sie etwas Geduld, müssen Probleme zu beheben.

Jerry Wlliams likes this.
  18. Offline

beatcomet

Thanks for the information and good luck xD
    Looking forward towards the new build (No hurry, we all can wait for a while)

19. Offline

Godspeed

Thanks for the update :)

Just ignore the trolls and keep on doing what you are doing.

Monopol likes this.
  20. Offline

Luzius

Um es mal in klare Worte zu fassen: (Iĺl translate and explain)

(Warning: German Sentence ^^)
    Es ist sicherlich scheiss viel Arbeit, Bukkit auf die 1.5 zu ziehen.
    Somit, um mal den anderen Thread zu zitieren... Relax :)
    Abwarten.. geh raus.. kümmer dich mal wieder um deine Freundin.. mäh den Rasen.. und warte ab :)

21. Offline

ra-ka

Yes I saw that but I am waiting, because my clients already have updated to 1.5 and the server is now running with only the original mine Craft Server and no plugins, and no bukkit.

Dodooo likes this.
  22. Offline

zlagther

fuck one week of no server -.-

TruffleDucks likes this.
  23. Offline

Pestus

Well written, and well reasoned decision.

I might suggest though, to avoid the usual frothing at the mouth panicking, as well as the inevitable trolling that follows.. just do a simple news post saying something like "Minecraft 1.5: We're working on it. More to follow." You don't need to say any more till you have something worthwhile. We know you'd rather be working than talking about working, but this will take all of 2 minutes max. Anyone who knows the first thing about software development of any kind, or any reasonable person ought to have plenty of patience. It simply serves to state to all who question that all is well and work is being done.

Minecraft wouldn't be half as fun as it is without the plugins your project allows. Thank you for your hard work.

bluej100 likes this.
  24. Offline

Fraserbell

Actually Notch has stated that he has quickly released this update and now has gone to Portal 2, he wont be checking his twitter or makin a post in his blog until he has finished, due to the reason he didnt want the game to be spoiled. He has also said that any bugs will remain unfixed for sometime soo you guys could be waiting awhile for Beta 1.5_01. Just to let you know.

25. Offline

ra-ka

You can use the original minecraft server
    No Plugins, but you can play:D

26. Offline

cjc343

Notch finished Portal 2.

27. Offline

blutherz

Hi Bukkit Team!
    Thank you for your update infoirmation.
    It is always good to informer user pro active!
    Take the time what it take for your update and let give us your community hopefully again such a good stable craftbukkit release as in the past.

P.S. I'm also german and sorry for my bad english

P.P.S. a small recommandation i have, perhaps there is a simple youtube movie "Howto back to 1.4. Client" and link it in your news for make "more" user patiance and calm

So if we, the bukkit community can something do, please tell us while this we can easy wait!

28. Offline

Fraserbell

already, wow, and plus i reckon that jeb would also be on top of the bugs so ye

29. Offline

ra-ka

Notch on his Blog (20.04.11):

30. Offline

Livewire

There's a laundry list of bugs is the problem. Doesn't matter if they're on top of it when the bug list has more bugs than a termite infested 1:1 scale wood carving of the Eiffel Tower, including one particular doozy involving Detector Rails and being placed next to normal rails. How that even got past testing, no idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.