What will happen with the Bukkit API?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by xbenas, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xbenas

Like the title said, what will happen with the Bukkit API?
    Is it going to be completely rewritten and changed, which would force every single plugin out there depending on the API to break, or are they going to, well, let's just say, get the same API "accustomed" to the new Minecraft 1.7.2, which would mean partial plugin break and count more like an upgrade than an absolutely new API.
    Answer from the Bukkit Team would be great!
    P.S. maybe this was stated somewhere and I overlooked?

2. I bet a couple of plugin developers would like to know that as early as possible. Likely the Bukkit developers will want to keep everything compatible, and i am sure they will go to some lengths to achieve so, but i can't judge what kind of trouble they are in - could be that some fundamental parts of Bukkit/CB are in question unexpectedly, could be just that the amount of changes to adapt to will take their time. Certainly a big point are the changes to type-ids, i hope they will update us early about how they plan or will do those. I would love to get some statements about what they are actually doing, like "working through things", "trouble with x", "evaluating the possiblity of y".

3. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

xbenas I personally think that developers will have enough time to change, from previous changes: Bukkit team announces changes, depreciate the old method ( still usable ), throw a couple more updates out, remove the old method

4. Offline

moose517

i don't see too terribly much breaking unless you depend on NMS code. a properly written API of any sort the interfaces shouldn't ever really change, just the back side where its actually implemented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.