Solved what is hogging up my RAM?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by mmorton89, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mmorton89

I have 8 GB of RAM but when I check my available ram with only 4 people connected it says i have 400 MB free??? I have a decent amount of plugins but where is 7.5 GB going?????

Here is my plugin list, I have no idea what is taking up 7.5 GB of RAM.

>pl
    23:40:10 [INFO] Plugins: Orebfuscator, HelpMessage, MultiInv, WorldEdit, Vault, Multiverse-Core, PermissionsEx, Questioner, WorldGuard, MCDocs, iConomy, Register, AuthMe, HawkEye, NoCheat, iChat, Essentials, Jobs, Towny, EssentialsSpawn, Multiverse-Portals, Multiverse-NetherPortals, LWC, NarrowtuxLib, Showcase, ChestShop, DeathTpPlus, TownyChat
    >

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  2. Offline

Daniel Heppner

Is this your server's ram or the ram left in the Java VM? What does your start file look like?

3. Offline

Nathan C

Do you use the reload command?

If so, that causes RAM to leak like no tomorrow.

4. Offline

NullCity

Dang dude! No wonder 7.5 GB is being used up! Have you heard of removing some plugins?

I know three of those plugins in your plugin list are ram hoggers.

5. Offline

mmorton89

[quote
    Yes I do, I guess I'll have to stop that :). That might have been the problem honestly.

Java and here is my start file

#!/bin/sh
    BINDIR=/root
    cd ""
    java -Xms8192M -Xmx8192M -jar craftbukkit.jar

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  6. Offline

Daniel Heppner

How are you checking the available ram?

7. Offline

Nathan C

Change it to:

#!/bin/sh
    BINDIR=/root
    cd ""
    java -Xmx8192M -jar craftbukkit.jar

8. Offline

mmorton89

on of my plugins has a command, but since I stopped using reload it hasnt been so bad. It's usually around like 6 GB free now.

9. Offline

cwarn23

I agree. Some of those plugins are very recourse intense. Also if you have more than one world that will hog up double the ram then triple the ram and so forth due to the calculations of mob AI (creature) and the physics when creepers explode along with terrain generation which is all done under a single thread. My advice is to have at the most 1 world per GHz of cpu and check the performance of each plugin in particular the popular plugins. Reducing the number of words does reduce both the cpu and ram as I have experienced myself as I found having only one world I can run a bukkit server with 60MB of ram but with 7 worlds and all of my fancy plugins I need 8GB ram and I will need to upgrade my cpu from 2.4GHz to 3.6GHz and still might not be enough so I will need to split it over multiple bukkit servers. So in short upgrade your ram or delete some worlds and check the performance of your plugins.

10. Offline

Daniel Heppner

All that about worlds is not true. The mob AI will only be calculated if the chunks are loaded. If no one is in a world, the chunks will not be loaded. To be honest, I don't see why someone couldn't have 20 worlds. It shouldn't take up that much more power. Especially now that Bukkit doesn't have to have the spawn chunk loaded in memory for each world if no one is in it.

11. Offline

cwarn23

The reason why having more worlds makes a difference is because bukkit or in that matter the minecraft server needs to simulate the world 24/7. It needs to calculate the mob movements, exploding creepers, snow fall snow melt enderman moving objects and so forth even when the server is idle. I know for a fact this does happen unless you force it to not happen. For example, if you have the My Worlds plugin you can unload certain maps to save ram consumption which may corrupt certain plugins as they are dependent of the world being available 24/7 (very few but some like Stargate and some portal plugins etc) But to load the maps with my worlds an op needs to load the map and an op needs to unload another map as the plugin permissions is mainly op based. So as I've said I've seen the facts and that certain plugins force all maps to stay loaded 24/7 even if not used with all mobs moving around with weather calculations being done and plugins interacting with the environment during that idle time. That is the main killer of single threaded minecraft.

12. Offline

Daniel Heppner

I've used MultiVerse in the past, and I had quite a few worlds loaded. I saw no ram difference. The Minecraft server does not need to calculate those things unless the chunks are loaded, and if no one is near a chunk, it's unloaded. Imagine if you had a 6gb world file. It wouldn't be practical to use 6 gb of ram at all times.

13. Offline

cwarn23

Well have you tried using the My Worlds plugin? It tells you what worlds are loaded aka simulating and what worlds are not. When a world is not loaded it does as you say and just stays in storage until somebody loads it however if you have a plugin such as multiverse then all of the worlds are loaded 24/7 meaning that it has to *simulate* the worlds. That is the term that Notch uses and as per the meaning that I use I have already described above. And as I have already said simulating the worlds isn't just a matter of saving the map then put it into memory when a user is online. It is running and performing calculations 24/7 there by simulating the map all the time so that the portals are always active. A slight pain I know but makes it harder to select appropriate plugins if your going to have lots of worlds. So lesson to learn? Select plugins that dynamically load worlds and create a script to reload the server + backup and unload all worlds every 2 hours.

14. Offline

mmorton89

So you saying I should get a new world management plugin? Because I do want a couple worlds on my server everyone wants a creative and I made a 2nd world for mining since I use towny and want to keep that world clean.

Also what would be the best start file for my ram allocation?

15. Offline

Daniel Heppner

What are you talking about? Multiverse unloads the worlds when no one is in them, including the spawn chunk, so effectively, the world uses no ram whatsoever. I have used Multiverse and I know this for a fact. If someone teleports to them through something like StarGate, it loads the world for it. My ram usage stayed the same. In my opinion, it's a very good, if not the best multiworld plugin available.

16. Offline

cwarn23

Looks like I have been slightly mislead from a topic on another discussion but not totally. I went ahead in installed multiverse for some tests to see exactly what is happening and these are the results. When installing multiverse core in conjunction with another dynamic teleporting suite to jump between worlds such as myworlds (used to spawn on other worlds) or dynamic world loading portal plugins (I forget the name of mine) then the worlds are to some degree always loaded but not the way I said before. This will cause the ram usage but I will explain that later. When you have lets say 10 worlds and the multiverse plugin, they do not run and simulate, they are stored in ram until the user teleports to that world. As per the ram usage I am not sure as I haven't figured out how to monitor minecraft server ram. So basically every world with no users in it is stored in ram so that it is faster to load and the user does not have to wait as long for it to load. In saying that, the whole world isn't stored in ram but rather the data dump required to initiate the world. This data dump I would imagine would be quite large depending on the size of the world but as I said I did not monitor the ram consumption. And so that is what is consuming your ram. But Daniel, you were right and now I am using Multiverse.

As per the original problem, same solution. Upgrade the ram or remove some worlds. Also to the original poster, do you mind telling us how many worlds you got in your bukkit server?

Daniel Heppner likes this.
  17. Offline

mmorton89

I have 4 worlds.... 2 normal worlds 1 nether and 1 end, and I'm trying to make a creative with just 1 layer of bedrock and 24 layers of dirt and when I go to that spawn it spams the terminal every few seconds [WARNING] Cannot keep up did the system time change or it the system over loaded? and the ram issuses stopped as not I am using less than 1 gb for some reason... So is this issue from the processor? I have a 3.6 GZ processor AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor. would 5 worlds really put that much of a load on my processor?

18. Offline

cwarn23

5 worlds should work fine unless you have somebody in each world but even then it shouldn't use up that much ram unless you had a lot of players. This leads me to think that one of your plugins are not compatible with the latest version of bukkit. I would suggest checking the revision information and make sure you have either the beta or the stable release of each plugin. You may wanna note that it is not recommended for the beta version in any case so I would suggest the stable release and make sure it's compatible with minecraft 1.1. If however only the alpha version is compatible with minecraft 1.1 then I would not recommend using that plugin as alpha means it's still in development stage. So check the revision information for each plugin and make sure you have the latest stable version and tell us the results.

19. Offline

mmorton89

my ram is fine its that message getting spammed in my terminal it only happens when I go to that new world i created with cleanroomgenerator which i got from bukkit.dev

20. Offline

cwarn23

You have not yet told us of a message that is spamming the terminal or at least what that message is. Could you please post here what the message is that's spamming the terminal and perhaps somebody can assist. That's very different from a ram problem as indicated in the title.

21. Offline

mmorton89

I already said the ram problem was fixed, should i make a new post for this new issue lol
    and yes i did say what the message was

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.