Question What I Can Do With Licensing

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by 0ct0berBkkitPlgins, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got several questions.

1. If someone violates the terms of my plugin's license (this has not happened yet, I'm just thinking of changing my license for future plugins I make), is there a way I can force them to remove the plugin from their server?

2. Am I able to include code letting me remove or disable the plugin from a server myself in case they violate my license's terms, or would this be considered malicious code, even if it doesn't do anything to any of the server's other plugins? Am I able to reserve the right to do that in my license?

3. Would it be possible for me to restrict against certain types of servers in my license unless I give them special permission to use my plugin?

2. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@0ct0berBkkitPlgins
    1. From their server: doubt it, can't really control it.
    2. That would be malicious code as far as I know. You will probably get banned for it on dev.bukkit, and it can be removed without you knowing it.
    3. See 1.

3. @timtower So the licenses aren't really allowed to be enforced (similar to how you can request a DMCA takedown for copyright violations on the internet) unless one is willing to file a lawsuit against the server that violated the terms?

Edit: Except for copying code

4. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@0ct0berBkkitPlgins Biggest issue is finding who violated it. By that time they could have modified or replaced the plugin.

5. Offline

teej107

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.