What does the -server command line argument do?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by aflyingturtle, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

aflyingturtle

If I search it on google it comes up with nothing... And I can't think of a better way to find it. What does the -server command line argument do? Also, is there a list of all the command line arguments I can use? I've found this: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/gsps-and-cli-freaks.102/#post-1207, however it doesn't list -server, which makes me think the list is incomplete. Any help?

2. Offline

PhonicUK

-server uses the Server Hotspot JVM instead of the standard one.

The basic tradeoff is higher throughput at the expense of marginally higher memory usage and slower startup times (the latter of which isn't really an issue)

It requires that the JDK is installed (Not just the JRE) - I generally recommend that people use it.

3. Offline

Phaedrus

I don't I've the jdk installed only 64bit jde on win 7 and I can use the -server argument.

4. Offline

aflyingturtle

How do we check if we have the server version of java?

5. Offline

Phaedrus

it's not really a version. using the -server argument basically tells java to use the server tuned JVM meant for long running applications. The alternative is -client. Ideally java should be able to detect the class of machine you are using and decide for itself whether you qualify as a server or client. It does this be the amount of ram you have, how many cpu cores etc.

If you're hosting a server though, just make sure you are using 64-bit java and use the -server argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.