Solved Weird symbol in MOTD.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by OTF Catastrophe, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

    OTF Catastrophe

    Well to start off, my server is in HEAVY development and one thing ive been trying to do is get my Essentials MOTD working the way I want it to. I have everything set up but when I join the game theres a weird character that appears exactly in the begining of the MOTD and it's really bothering me because I've tried a lot of things. I have special characters right before all the links to my info and what not as you will see in the picture, but if I dont set the motd.txt file as a UTF-8 text document it comes out looking like this:

    [​IMG]

    As you can see before all of the links theres a small box with a question mark as Essentials 1.8 cannot read that specific UTF-8 character. But when I save the file as a UTF-8 text document it comes out like this:

    [​IMG]

    Though the double arrows come out working fine there is a symbol in the first character of the motd of a small box that reads 6 letters. I have seen that before when copying and pasting in commands from youtube but thats because if was a break in line and thats not the issue in the file. I've tried using other programs to do it, I've used Notepad++, I've tried spacing it out and changing characters. I honestly have no clue how to fix this and personally it makes the MOTD look bad. Is there any way to get rid of that character and make my MOTD normal? It doesn't show up in my motd.txt so I have no clue where it came from I just assume its something to do with the UTF-8 Format. Thank you for anyone who actually took time to read this and has any answers to my issue! :D
     
  2. Offline

    OTF Catastrophe

  3. Offline

    TGRHavoc

    What's the first character in the top line, and is it required? Looking at the first image and the second, it looks like the first character isn't required (It's not in the first image).
    If it is required, try to find the UTF-8 version of the specific character.
     
  4. Offline

    OTF Catastrophe

    &8&m-----------------=[ &b&m&oSkyRealm v2 &8&m]=-----------------

    &7&l» &b&oStore: Buy.SkyRealm.com

    &7&l» &b&oWebsite: SkyrealmV2.Enjin.com

    &7&l» &b&oFacebook: Facebook.com/SkyRealmV2

    &7&l» &b&oTwitter: Twitter.com/SkyRealmV2

    &8&m-----------------=[ &b&m&oSkyRealm v2 &8&m]=-----------------

    That is what I have in my MOTD.txt everything there is required. I have no special characters in the first line. There is a UTF-8 version of the characters but it's dealing with Essentials and Essentials doesn't do the normal way like what you would do for a MOTD outside of the server.
     
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  5. Offline

    OTF Catastrophe

    Bump, still looking for a solution to this issue.
     
  6. Offline

    Larry Newman

    @OTF Catastrophe Did you paste your motd into whatever config file that it's in? Sometimes in the past I've pasted things into a config.yml file and that character appeared. This is the only idea that I have, but it might do you good just to make sure there's no unneeded spaces anywhere.

    I know this isn't really a known issue, but copying and pasting has turned up that character before when I've done it.
     
  7. Offline

    OTF Catastrophe

    My config file is as it is above. Like I said im sure it has something to do with UTF-8 format. I'm wondering how to fix it and still have the UTF-8 symbols.
     
  8. Offline

    OTF Catastrophe

    Bump. Don't know how many times a person can bump so I'm going to just keep bumping. o-o

    EDIT: While doing something totally different the same issue occurred. While I was editing a texture pack to my liking I was changing the title splash and when the first splash in the splash.txt file popped up in the title screen so did that same symbol. Does this help anyone? I still have suspicions that it's because of the UTF-8 format but I'm not sure.

    EDIT: After doing some googling, a post on the Minecraft support apparently it was something to do with UTF-8 and UTF-8 Without BOM. Though the file is being edited with UTF-8 No BOM the symbol seems to STILL be appearing in my MOTD and I am totally oblivious on how to fix this and make it work.

    FINAL EDIT & SOLUTION: Though this may NOT work for everyone it just so happened to be a simple stupid solution that I just tried before but didn't work, but so happened to work now aha. I simply opened up Notepad++ and created a new file, copied and pasted my motd.txt into the file, renames the Notepad++ file to motd.txt, deleted the motd.txt in my FTP files and put the motd.txt that I just created in the directory. I have tried this before but for some reason never worked I don't know if I did something different this time but I'm positive I did this before.
     
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    mertdidi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page