Warp/Block Glitch Protection

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Crayder, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Offline

Crayder

Here's the predicament: I own a popular Factions-based server where it is extremely important to keep players from hacking (which I can control through NoCheat) and glitching (which I have not been able to regulate as of yet) through walls and into bases.
    Lots of players use little tricks like spamming teleport requests while pushing against walls to eventually spam through the wall. I've managed to protect against that by adding a cooldown.

I've yet to protect against block-based glitches though. Here's how these typically go:
    1. Players will abuse certain blocks, like fences, trap doors, sand, etc. "moving" blocks to push themselves through walls.
    2. They disconnect from the server and have someone place the block on or near their logout location.
    3. When they reconnect, they are pushed up or through a wall and into another player's base.
    I want a way to be protected from this. I am willing to pay in USD. I don't have much of a concept on how to protect against this, though.
    SuperSpawn apparently has this protection built in to their player spawning plugin, but I don't need spawning functionality, I use EssentialsSpawn. The author seems uninterested in separating the two plugins.

What I believe SuperSpawn does, to prevent block glitching, is write your logoff location to a text file and then when you reconnect, force you to that exact location. I'm not sure if this is true or if this is the best practice, but it's just an idea.

Otherwise, my server uses EssentialsSpawn and LogBlock. EssentialsSpawn seems to record player logoff location data to their player flatfiles. LogBlock records block placements. Maybe these two could be leveraged in unison through another plugin to automatically destroy/rollback any blocks that are placed where a user has logged off within a certain amount of time?

Let me know if you know of a way to attack this. I'm willing to pay.

2. Offline

foxwillow

I'd consider myself in a similar boat as you. but:

"Otherwise, my server uses EssentialsSpawn and LogBlock. EssentialsSpawn seems to record player logoff location data to their player flatfiles. LogBlock records block placements. Maybe these two could be leveraged in unison through another plugin to automatically destroy/rollback any blocks that are placed where a user has logged off within a certain amount of time?"

I don't think that would be the best thing. What if player X is in his base, and notices player Y? Player Y logs out to avoid combat and hopes to come back (cowardly) in 30 minutes to continue his raid. I think player X should be able to fill the area in with cobble or whatever and then Y comes back suffocating. Serves him right. :D :p

3. Offline

Crayder

I'd 100% agree if I wasn't also using the CombatTag plugin.

4. Offline

foxwillow

I'm also using CombatTag :p

5. Offline

hammale

well a plugin could easily be made to teleport players to the nearset air block above there spawn. IMO the way to do it is to store the players cords when they leave and when they log back in just read it and tp them to the highest airblock above that location if its not air. There is that player.dat file that stores all this info but idk how to read it :( last i checked it wasnt a flat file...