Want a way to make a player lag.

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by IdealIdeas, May 3, 2012.

1. Offline

IdealIdeas

I have people on my server who are nice, but annoying and I dont have the heart to kick them off myself.

Is there anyway someone could make a plugin that through a command will make a specified player lag whenever they come to the server?

Or anyway to imitate lag?

2. Offline

zathrus

note: this is not a plugin response... delete if you consider appropriate

by doing this you're asking for more problems, since because of their annoyness they will certainly flood you with e-mails, PMs and in-game chat messages asking you to investigate...

furthermore, they'll check with their other mates and find out that those players do not lag, so you possibly create a very sad environment for them at home, where they'll be trying to debug their connection or PC and find nothing wrong

it would do lot less harm to simply tell them you need to attend to other players as well and to your own game experience, so they can either wait or make themselves busy with something else until someone will have the time (mood) to attend to them

P.S.: you could also use invisibility to simply hide yourself from those people (I believe AdminCMD or Essentials have this built-in, as well as VanishNoPacket plugin)

3. Offline

ImminentFate

Why would you want to lag them? They may be young, and keen to get into a community. Lagging would cause some ache for them.
    Why not reply that you are busy, and if they continue, mute them?

zathrus likes this.
  4. Offline

IdealIdeas

Actually they wont really investigate as some players do tend to experience lag every now and then.

Ive had players lag for a day and the next day get no lag, so lag is pretty common on my server.

5. Offline

Camberme

like you said people wont investigate, they'll just continue to lag, and complain about their internet connection. you're only asking for more complaining,

6. Offline

MCProtect

Quite correct. If you don't have the heart to kick the person, this is a much worse alternative.

My heart sunk when I read that bolded part halfway through, considering that if I did that to a player of my server they would be trying to fix their connection solely to connect to my server, and that's too complimenting to continue to torture them in such a way.

I think you should just let them be how they are, but if you still want to, there are many ways to make them lag:

Drop lots of items near them in a confined area (1 block wide, somewhere they won't see, perhaps underground)

That will cause client lag, and make their typing harder. This way, they won't be checking their connection, rather their client, which is much more tedious.

I would recommend simply letting them know that you enjoy them on the server, but you need them to leave you alone, as there are other players that are having much worse problems, such as not being able to log in at all.

This shouldn't need a plugin. In the case that you simply want to torture their poor soul and make them work very hard to try and play on your server, as well as bother you even more to try and connect.

My recommended alternative would be to simply make a rule that you cannot harass anyone in a staff position too much, or you will be kicked. This will make kicking them take a much smaller portion of your soul to hell ;P

EDIT: Oh, and along the lines of hiding yourself, I know for sure VanishNoPacket can do this very well with little, as well as real-time, configurations (changed by commands), which includes disallowing drops, chat, visibility (physically), etc.

It's quite... I forget the word, but it's quite capable of hiding you.

-- Not to mention, players can't message you while invisible with chat off.

7. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Without some really ugly reflection it's not possible to lag a player properly, so this would fall into the "nobody's going to do this" category :(