Very weird OutOfMemory error

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by MonsieurApple, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MonsieurApple

Hello, every once and a while after the server has been running for a while this weird error pops up.

http://pastebin.com/t7CTFNA5

All the java version etc are in that pastebin. Any clues / help?

2. Offline

dixonater

Allow the server to use more RAM; cannot create new thread; needs more RAM.

3. Offline

bobbysmithyy

You are most likely not allocating enough RAM for it to save certain files

4. Offline

Nathan C

Yep, running out of memory it seems.

Increase the limit or try to find if there is a plugin leaking RAM.

5. Offline

MonsieurApple

None of the above are the case, if you would direct your attention to the free -m results.

Also, 5GB should be more then enough. There's only 20 players on.

6. Offline

Evangon

That's odd. It's basically saying something to do with starting a thread is sucking up so much memory.

7. Offline

Obliviator

Would it have something to do with the processor?
    Threads are related to cores etc, am I right?

8. Offline

ZNickq

A type of client-side hack can cause this! Can't remember which though, could be spamming the 254GetInfo packet...

LE: Yep, it is! 15:09:56 [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.Packet254GetInfo.handle(SourceFile:16)

Someone is just spamming that packet, until the server runs out of memory! ;)

9. Offline

MonsieurApple

Interesting. I will investigate this later.

10. Offline

Jozeth

I got something like this on my old server and they said something was sending million bytes to the hard drive and caused lag and that...

11. Offline

Deleted user

It's a client-side issue. Someone on your server is trying to shut down your server. Intentionally.
    As ZNickq said, look at this part of the error:
    Code:
    [SIZE=12px][FONT=Consolas][COLOR=#000000]15:09:56 [SEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.Packet254GetInfo.handle(SourceFile:16)[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px][FONT=Consolas][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    Someone's trying to spam that packet with information.

12. Offline

MonsieurApple

13. Offline

SpaceManiac

The way the message is worded implies to me it's not literally out of memory, it's out of native threads, which for some reason throws the same exception. Apparently that specific packet always starts a new thread so if it's spammed you run out of threads. Worth an anti-hack look-at, I suppose.

14. Offline

MonsieurApple

This started happening after the switch from apache to nginx. I've removed nginx and I am using apache now. Will see if this helps at all over the coming days.

After switching to apache I have yet to see this error happen. Will update if I see it again!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  15. Offline

RROD

Peskey client hackers...
    If it's a bug then we ought to fix it with the next RB.

16. Offline

MonsieurApple

Still getting this error unfortunately :(

17. Offline

MonsieurApple

Figured it out! Here's the bug report that helped: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php5/+bug/876387

I noticed this error was happening every half hour on the 9 and 39 minute mark. So it made sense it had something to do with cron.

Low and behold, changing /etc/cron.d/php5 to the version in Ubuntu 11.04 fixed it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.