Torches that go out...

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by FuzzeWuzze, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Offline

FuzzeWuzze

Im creating a RP world using Towny so people cant build outside of their town. This brings up the issue of people not being able to place torches, which makes mining extremely difficult. But i still feel torches are incredibly OP and give people too much safety because they last forever. But on the flip side for some people digging down with no torches is impossible because their screen just turns pitch black and you cant see anything.

Is it possible to make a mod that allows you to give a 'life' to torches? Someone places a torch and it lasts for 10 minutes then disappears for example?

2. Offline

Zapk

Wait for lanterns from Notch :p

3. Offline

FuzzeWuzze

Hes too busy making new bed types and pets....:'(:mad:

4. Offline

jmonk

Would you want the torch to just disappear and fall on the ground after 10 mins?

EDIT: I am very interested in programming this plugin for you. Does it need to be anything more than just make torches disappear after 10 minutes? Did you want torches in towns to be permanent? Does it need to keep track between server restarts or is start counting at server startup good enough?

5. Offline

darknesschaos

I believe there is a plugin that allows you to change the light level monsters spawn at, could use that?

6. Offline

petteyg359

Basic concept done. Uploading shortly :)

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/9433/

Currently expires ALL torches placed while it is enabled. Need to add options to prevent expiration by area/player or something.

7. Offline

FuzzeWuzze

Im actually modifying a plugin made by Ryan Carreta
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/in...ches-rather-than-placing-them-450.6009/page-3

Basically what does is light up an area around the player when they right click with a torch equipped(and dont attach it to a wall).

It then burns out after X amount of time.

Im changing it so that
    1) It lights on swinging, not placement
    2) It doesnt require you to keep the torch equipped
    3) After X amount of tick's it kills the light source

He already has the code to light up the blocks around the player, and to update it as the player moves which is the hard part.

Honestly my original idea is flawed because i want torches in cities to last, but not ones in the wild in Towny...this solution where each player just has a virtual torch attached to them when they use one i think will work way better.

Interesting, i think some people will find this quite useful. The problem i think will be figuring out which torches stay and which disappear and how to differentiate between them...

For those that care, i have posted my modified TorchBurn.

It gives a player a floating light source if they swing a torch in the air, you can config how long the light follows the player before it dies. You can still place torches too...
    You can find it @

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/in...ches-rather-than-placing-them-450.6009/page-3

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016