Torch Project - A multi-threaded minecraft server

Discussion in 'General Help' started by torchproject, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

torchproject

Torch is a project aiming to enhance the default Minecraft Server.
    Torch modifies the default Minecraft Server code to optimize and enhance your experience.
    Torch has two modules in this project. The first module, TorchServer, and the second module, TorchAPI.

TorchServer is a concurrent multi-threaded modification of the default Minecraft Server with the implemented of TorchAPI. TorchServer aims to allow developers to add content or enhance to their desire using TorchAPI and allows for a more faster server with multi threading and for using every resource available that has been allocated to the server.

TorchAPI is a application programming interface for TorchServer for creating plugins more easily than with the default Minecraft Server code.

The Torch project currently only has me as the only developer. However, I am currently updating this project daily.
    Please view my MinecraftForum postto see the latest updates and latest builds.
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...rch-project-a-multi-threaded-minecraft-server

2. Offline

oceantheskatr

I think that this is a really awesome idea, as the main problem with servers is that sometimes they're just too damn under-powered as they use one thread. I'm going to give this a look and see how well it runs. It'll be interesting to see how it handles sharing information between the different threads, and how efficient it will be.

3. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@oceantheskatr Not to forget: what will actually be multithreaded about it.

oceantheskatr likes this.
  4. Offline

oceantheskatr

@timtower I'm guessing that different parts of the server will be on different threads. Maybe entities handled by one thread, chunk generation by another, etc. (Or something to that effect)

5. Offline

teej107

Didn't 1.8 do that already?

6. Offline

oceantheskatr

It's all still single threaded as far as I know.

7. Offline

Mrs. bwfctower

By 1.8 do you mean Vanilla server, CraftBukkit by Spigot, Spigot (all single-threaded), or an alternative? Trident supports multithreading. 1.8 could really mean anything :p

8. Offline

teej107

I don't think it matters because they use Mojang code.

9. Offline

Mrs. bwfctower

I suppose. But they could have changed it, who knows. Anywho, we are yet again getting off topic :p

teej107 likes this.
  10. Offline

oceantheskatr

Agreed :p

11. Offline

mythbusterma

@torchproject

Why would you do this instead of helping Trident?

We've already got an API that isn't stolen from Bukkit, and a lot of work put into implementing the server. Plus, it's not based on Mojang code at all.

tridentsdk.net

teej107 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.