"this." tag?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Quaro, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Quaro

When i have to use "this." tag, before function/variable? (need explanation, im beginner)

And could someone explain this?
    Code:java
    1. public String test;
    2. public Class(String test, Class plugin)
    3. {
    4. this.test = test;
    5. }

2. Offline

1Rogue

"this." represents the current instance of the class you are using. It is just good coding practice.

Note you cannot use it in static cases, since there is only ever one instance of static objects.

3. Offline

Garris0n

There's a good chance he doesn't really understand instances. This is a bukkit help forum, not a java help forum. Learn the language before you get into bukkit.

4. Offline

Quaro

Garris0n Could you recommend any tutorial, for this?

5. Offline

1Rogue

6. Offline

Garris0n

TheNewBoston makes good tutorials, never actually watched his java tutorials but I hear they're good as well. You also probably want to get a Java book to use as a reference. Some people learn better from videos, some learn better from books, so you'll want to see which one is easier for you to understand. When you have issues you should always do plenty of searching before asking questions, as 99.9% of the time somebody else has already had a similar issue and you can find the answer (especially when you're just starting).

Edit: And yes, as 1Rogue said, the official java tutorial is a fantastic resource as well.

7. Offline

lycano

Micius i found this site very helpful in the beginning http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/java_basic_syntax.htm

It also increases the learning curve chapter by chapter so you are not asking too much questsions when you start.

For instance he is not using "public, private, protected" keyword for class variables as long as you dont hit the chapter "Classes and Objects".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.