The Bukkit Consulting Firm - Solving all your Bukkit-related challenges!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by M1sT3rM4n, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

tyzoid

2. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

When you don't have OP permissions, that phrase shows.

3. Offline

sagethor

@M1sT3rM4n
    I've got a question regarding bandwidth usage and also community. Having had around four months of experience running my own private little server with Bukkit, I've decided to go for an extreme optimized approach for my Prison Server.

To achieve the above, I've implemented the following:
    • view-distance=3 to send only three chunks to each player
    • monsters=off to disable monster spawning
    • animals=off to disable animal spawning
    • unload unused chunks every 60 seconds
    • delayed regular saving to 60 minutes
    • clear drops when 64+ in 60 seconds
    • map generator is CleanroomGenerator
    • empty vehicle removal every 60 seconds
    My question for this is, how much bandwidth / connection speed along with RAM would I need to host such an optimized server? Do note that the map is going to be limited in some way, and I am going to stack some structures and areas for roleplay.

As for communities, I have somewhat of a problem. I'm really unsure of what I should implement, be it a whitelist, greylist, or nothing at all. As well, when I put up a whitelist, I didn't really know which submissions to accept and how exactly I should go on the "You're accepted" and "Sorry, you weren't qualified" messages.

Some concerns about each I have:
    Whitelist - Not sure on what basis to accept people and how to communicate the results of the application. As well, I'm afraid that people won't be willing to apply for a simple whitelist.

Greylist - I can easily automate this using WordRank, but I'm not quite sure on how it'd work out and where to put the "keyword" to rank up to regular status. I also don't know what permissions the "guest" group should have.

Nothing - No mess, no fuss, and no setup required. Seems viable, except for the possible oddball characters storming in, but given the theme of the server, could work?

I'll post more later once I get a reply from you guys. Thanks! :)

4. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

To address your first question:

It depends on the community size of people who are actively using your server. I cannot give a real estimation if I don't know an average # and the type of server setup (plugins, other modded stuff that I am unaware of) that you are using.

As far as the second question is concerned:

It depends on how you want to run your community. Do you want it to be relaxed or focused on having people who are highly skilled at what they do? Is your server creative? RPG? Mix of both?

Whitelisting a server oftentimes filter out a lot of dumb and sad (my own phrase for people with low IQ) and if set up right can get you some gems (I got a player of my own who's very consistent in producing high quality material both in terms of community building and helping others/building in game).

Greylist is almost like whitelisting, and when implemented right can have the same effect.

If nothing, see my first response to the second part where you want to run a free-reign environment.

Can you give me more information about the types of plugins you use?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  5. Offline

sagethor

@M1sT3rM4n
    Well, I guess that means I'll get back to you on that, since the server is currently a work in progress. Will post again a few days later, hopefully. :p

6. Offline

tyzoid

@skywalker
    in the console, type
    Code:
    plugins

Then paste the output here.

@M1sT3rM4n
    This is getting even more messy.
    We need to implement a better solution soon.

7. Offline

vapid2323

I dont know how you guys manage a thread like this, what was the point? I mean you allready have a great forum where all peoples issues are posted in nice easy to follow posts. By creating your own thread what was the point? Your just going to make it hard for you to provide help.

Thats just my thoughts on it, I am not trying to bash what you guys do to help people. I just think you seem to be working harder for no reason.

8. Offline

tyzoid

@vapid2323
    Exactly what I was thinking.

However, it is nice to have a separate "entity" that handles help requests.
    We were in the process in creating a better system, this thread is just temporary.

If you want to look at a proposed site: http://www.bukkithelp.tk/
    It uses your bukkit login.

9. Offline

vapid2323

I think thats a very cool idea, on paper.... Not so sure it will work in practice. I still dont see a point, well I see the point lol but why recreate the wheel and try to get people over to that forum when you have more help and more people allready here? You are going to work for a few months trying to get people to post in that forum.

Also how are you able to use my bukkit login? Your telling me you have access to the Bukkit database?? Thats kinda scary :)

Anyhow please dont think I am trying to say your project will fail, I am just being honest. I think the more people try and help server owners the better.

10. Offline

tyzoid

@vapid2323
    I know. But got any better ideas?

The other option that we are trying to push for is a ticket system embedded into bukkit (Kinda like leaky, but more general)

P.S.
    I don't have access to the bukkit database. I might draw up some docs later on how I'm able to use the bukkit logins.

11. Offline

Bubka3

Is there any admin mod right now that works with SuperPerms? I am using PermissionsEx.

12. Offline

skywalker55

@M1sT3rM4n
    Here is list :
    Permissions,SpawnControl,AdminCmd,WorldEdit,WorldGuard,BorderGuard,LWC,CraftBook,CraftBookMechanisms,CraftBookVehicles,iConomy,iChat,xWarp,KiwiAdmin,ChestShop,AuthMe,BigBrother,Jobs,Factions,MinecraftViewer,SpawnMob,MagicSpells,MoveCraft,Citizens,ItemShop,MobLimiter,EpicWar,AppleTree,XrayDetection

@silthus
    Our command line for running the server is :
    java -Xmx15360M -Xmx10240M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal

We dont have dyn map and our bukkit is #1000. Last night we turned off mobs and animals - it changed nothin ;/
    Thx a lot for your replies!

13. Give this command line a try will you?

Code:
    java -server -Xms128M -Xmx3G -XX\:+DisableExplicitGC -XX\:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX\:+UseParNewGC -XX\:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX\:ParallelGCThreads\=4 -XX\:MaxGCPauseMillis\=5 -XX\:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX\:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX\:+UseBiasedLocking -XX\:SurvivorRatio\=8 -XX\:TargetSurvivorRatio\=90 -XX\:MaxTenuringThreshold\=15 -Xnoclassgc -XX\:UseSSE\=3 -XX\:+UseLargePages -XX\:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX\:+UseStringCache -XX\:+UseCompressedStrings -XX\:+OptimizeStringConcat -XX\:+AggressiveOpts -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui
    If that does not help can u post a list of your plugins please? Or try disabling them one by one and see if it gets better. (Thats what I do if there is no explanation in the threads for each plugin)

14. Offline

Riddle

Guys i really can't believe that I'm writing this...

I have deleted my Windows XP, installed Windows 7 SP1 x64 and for God's Sake the problem is still there.

As you guys assume, my minecraft is new, bukkit is new, I have port forwarded all over again, i have added all java related stuff to pass the Windows' firewall and still People Cannot Connect to my server. The only possible way is if I type 'localhost'... Any Suggestions?

15. Offline

tyzoid

@Riddle
    Type
    Code:
    ipconfig /all

and paste the output.

@EvilSeph
    Did you get the PM I sent you about the bukkit logo for the Bukkit Help! Forums?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

16. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

lol if you take the time to read the posts on each thread it's ok.

17. Offline

Hesse77

It would be interesting to see if you could fix the "Read Time Out" error

I get it every 30 minutes on my server. And it's pissing off a lot of people :|.

18. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

The Read Timed Out issue has been quite persistent for a while. It's a problem with the Bukkit problem, but intensified by Permission 3.1.6 if you are still using that.

Did you TURN off Windows firewall?

19. Offline

tyzoid

@M1sT3rM4n
    It's making me think that it is a problem with his router.
    NOT with windows firewall.

20. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

Yes, if that's so. His cmd's ipconfig came up fine.

No, just make it so you don't pull plugins from the website.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2018
  21. Offline

tyzoid

@M1sT3rM4n
    It would be helpful to have the updated version because he updated his OS.

22. Offline

ImminentFate

try seeing my tutorial linked in my signature

23. Offline

iFr0z3n

Hey, I got it working, it turned to be my computer. BUT, now the problem is it says that dev.bukkit.org doesn't have the jar files for any of my plugins, what do I do to fix it.
    And it'll just do that for every jar in my plugins folder.
    [​IMG]

24. Offline

ImminentFate

i think its because dev.bukkit.org doesn't host all plugins yet. Most of them are still on the forums and plugins.bukkit.org

25. Offline

iFr0z3n

So what should i do?
    Is it a MAJOR error, or will it affect in-game
    or what?

26. Offline

iFr0z3n

How do I do that? I looked in the LogBlock config file and found nothing about it.

27. Offline

dbizzzle

Hey, this is sort of bukkit related but not really, I just need somebody to help me set up MySQL on my server, I have been trying for quite a while but can't get it to work (got it running, but had no database), if anybody has the time and would like to help me please just pm me :) (Also I am not an incompetent 12 year-old, just thought I would point that out). If you pm me, I can give you my Skype name and then we can use that to chat and eventually use TeamViewer to see if you can get it working, Thank you for reading this :)

28. Offline

iFr0z3n

Alright, forget logblock for a second. WTF is going on. I keep getting this error.

Now can someone help with this please, I was hoping to get the server up and running yesterday. But none helped.
    Can someone please, this is getting really frustrating.

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
  29. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

There are several free MySQL services if you search Google. It's simple as 1. Set up DB, 2. Choose name, 3. Choose password. 4. Fill out SQL info of plugins that use it.

30. Offline

dbizzzle

@M1sT3rM4n Could you give me an example please, I could not find any. (Searching again right now)

EDIT: Nevermind I found one and its working perfectly, Thank you so much :)

EDIT 2: I was trying to set it up manually on my VPS through tutorials before :p

M1sT3rM4n likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.