Testing Users

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by shadrxninga, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Offline

shadrxninga

I think a good feature to be built into bukkit would be the ability as a server admin to test out other users permissions with a command like /testuser. For example for use with protection plugins so you know if you set it up right without having to edit a file then restart the server.

In hmod I found it really annoying having to edit the users.txt to put me in the default group so I could see if I set up protection right.

2. Offline

Vandolis

I think what you should be asking for is that when a player is switched from one group to another with the modify command, their stuff isn't erased. (or was that fixed already in hmod?)

3. Offline

shadrxninga

What I mean is there should be another command that admins can use which temporarily puts them in the default group( or another group) so they can test out permissions

4. Offline

Tintin184

yeah i second this idea it is very annoying when i put in a new plugin that i have to get someone else to test it because of my unrestricted status

5. Offline

torrentails

I had the same problem too but I solved it quite easily thanks to the Command Alias plugin.

Set up an alias that only I could run by restricting it to my username and would run as a special modifying group that would make me admin again. After that I could use /modify to change me to whatever group I wanted and /admin to get back.

Code:
    /admin [u:torrentails,o:runas=modifypermis] {
    /modify torrentails g admin
    }
    Though I do aggre, a temporary group modification command would still be simpler eg. /tempgroup and /tempgreset

shadrxninga likes this.
  6. Offline

EvilSeph

This is one of the features I've brought up in dev discussions and we'll most likely have something like it.

7. Offline

shadrxninga

Cool, I will be looking Forward to it!

8. Offline

Killie01

got that problem too
    one time i only made a mistake by selecting wrong and i *did not know* i deleted all users lol BIG FAIL :)

9. Offline

matejdro

+1 that would be awesome.