Stutter every 30seconds-1minute.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Deages, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Deages

The server (minecraft) will lag, somewhat randomly, on
    This occurs when I'm running CraftBukkit.jar standalone AND with plugins enabled, it did not however happen when I was running minecraft_server.jar by itself.
    It can occur at random, walking, fighting, creeper explosions - all seem to trigger it.

Server specs:
    8GB RAM
    2x 500GB HDDs in raid1
    Xeon quad X3440 @3.2GHz
    100mbit down/up dedicated line.
    Dedi server, not a VPS/VM.

1. What OS are you using (Brand and version - Ex. Windows XP SP3)?
    CentOS release 5.5 (Final)

2. What architecture is the OS you are running (x64 or x86)?
    x64

3. What version and architecture is your java install? (Type: java -version in command prompt.)
    java version "1.6.0_17"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.7.5) (rhel-1.16.b17.el5-x86_64)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

4. What build of CraftBukkit are you running? (do NOT say latest. Say the build number.)
    5. What command are you using to run your CraftBukkit server?
    screen -s smp java -Xms3800M -Xmx3800M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

6. What plugins are you running?
    Essentials, Exclusive, Guardian, HiddenDoor, CraftIRC, BorderGuard, iChat, MyHome, Permissions, vPlayersOnline, TreeperBirth

7. What error are you getting (post your server.log file if possible)?
    [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

8. What have you tried already?
    Running minecraft_server.jar standalone & running the craftbukkit.jar standalone.

Running minecaft_server.jar removes the problem but running craftbukkit.jar still brings out the lag.

2. Offline

TnT

I think I love you (in a purely platonic way - I love that you filled out all those questions first).

Try running the server with this command instead:
    screen -s smp java -d64 -Xincgc -Xmx3800M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

That will make the java process run with 64 bit binaries if possible, and enable better garbage collection (decreased ram usage a lot for me). As for eliminating those Warnings, I've had to get a ramdisk to do so. You should be able to set one up easily enough with the amount of RAM you have available. I rarely, if ever, get those messages and my server specs aren't as good as yours.

Also, note that build 141 is much better on RAM usage, so I'd update if I were you.

3. Offline

Deages

Thanks TnT, I'll change the startup commands and update and post back here to see how it goes :).
    --- merged: Jan 27, 2011 9:28 AM ---
    Update:

Well, about 2 hours after launching it..it died, on both occasions. It ended up eating up all the CPU somehow (I heard all this while on my phone using irc at work, I was helpless D: ).
    I'll look into the logs and see what happened then update this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.