Stuck on "Logging in..."

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by TheMultiMom, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TheMultiMom

I'm new to Minecraft (I got it about a week ago). I'm trying to host my own server for my daughter and I to play on, but I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I forwarded my port. (I even ran a check to see if the ports were open, and they were indeed.)
    I'm running 1.7.9 software.
    I'm running a 1.7.9 server (from bukkit)
    I entered "localhost".

I can't figure it out! On the server, it gives me this statement:
    lost connection: Internal Exception: net.minecraft.util.io.netty.handler.codec.DecoderException: java.io.IOException: The received string length is longer than maximum allowed <21 > 16>

Also, I'm not just having trouble logging onto my own server, but I can't log onto anyone else's servers, either. I can play the game as a single player, just not as a multiplayer. Each time, it says "Logging in..." and that's where it stays.

2. Offline

TheMultiMom

So does anyone know what a "received string length" is, and how I can fix it?

3. Offline

LHammonds

Sounds like your server might not be able to authenticate to Mojang servers. Is it being blocked? Are you using a firewall that blocks outgoing connections?

To verify that the authentication mechanism is indeed the issue, you can edit the server.properties file and change online-mode from true to false. Then start your server and see if you can connect. If you can, then you know it is an issue with your server/PC getting back to Mojang. But be sure to turn it back on if anyone outside your home can access it.

Since you cannot connect to any other servers, I'm guessing you have a hardware firewall or router that is blocking communication so you'll need to figure out how to fix it.

LHammonds

4. Offline

TheMultiMom

Nevermind. I found out what it was. My username was too long. My username is my password, which was 21 characters long, and it should have been 16 or less. I have a new error now, but it has nothing to do with this problem any more. Thank you for your time, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.