SQL and SQLite

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Fewmets, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Fewmets

Hello. I have noticed that alot of plugins use SQLite. Before checking out Bukkit I have never heard of this and have only used SQL. I have read the explanation page and I find some of the info conflicting. Is SQLite compatible with a standard SQL server (MySQL)? If not where do I get the database software and can anyone link me a config tutorial? Also some information of a config app would be appreciated. Sorry to be a pain but I'd really appreciate it.

If it can't be run through SQL but there is a way to convert it I wouldn't mind doing that either. Whatever's easiest.

2. Offline

croxis

SQLite uses the same SQL language, although I believe there are some differences in the more advanced features. SQLite is a flat file, there is no server program to run. As a programmer you only need to use an SQLite library and tell it what file to create, open, and use. As an end user you don't need to do anything.

3. Offline

Fewmets

Okay. Thanks for the info. If that's the case, what is the SQLite dependence library that comes with some of the plugins? I need that as an enduser right? If you have a quick second would you mind explaining to me what that .jar is exactly? I understand the SQL one since that requires linking to a databse. Is it just a decoder of sorts then?

4. Offline

tkelly

Every server can use SQLite (which is why plugins prefer to use that over MySQL). Like croxis said, it creates a flatfile. There's a number of programs that can you can use to go through the database. Firefox has an addon that you can use. If you have a Mac, I'd recommend using 'Base'.

Edit: The library is needed by the plugin, because the dev used that library to get the connection with java and the SQLite db.

5. Offline

Fewmets

okay. thank you very much. So I just dl the .jar library, and the plugin. I look forward to using Craftbukkit, and it seems that modifying setting for a plugin using SQLite will be far faster than connecting to my server using phpmyadmin to change the SQL config.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.