Solved Splitting a String into int's into one sum

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by justin1222, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

justin1222

Can someone please tell me a good way to convert "1 | 2 | 3 | 4" to the sum of all the numbers: 10.

2. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@justin1222
    1. Split the string at "|".
    2. Create a for int loop to loop through each sub-string.
    3. Parse each string to an integer
    4. Add all the integers together.

3. Offline

mine-care

In adition to what @Zombie_Striker recomended, use the method String#split(String param); to split the string and provide "\\|" as 'param'. This will escape the character '|' which happends to be a regex operator. Then, do as @Zombie_Striker recomended.

If the numbers are consecutive as shown in the example above, or follow the principles of arithmetic/geometric sequences, you can simply use a formula to calculate the sum rather than running a loop through them, which would be more efficient for large number sets.

4. Offline

justin1222

Why is it that if cards = "11 | 11", cards.split("|")[1] = 1?

5. Offline

Webster56

You might want to get rid of whitespaces

6. @justin1222
    | is a regex operator (String.split() splits based on regexes). You need to escape it by putting //|. The reason for this is that the regex operator | specifies an alternative pattern to match, and both sides of the | is nothing, so it will just split at every character.

7. Offline

justin1222

The plugin needs it that way.

Please give me an example of this line of code.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Okay, now I have solved the problem. Thank you all for your help!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. Offline

Webster56

Try cards.split(Pattern.quote("|"));, I've also had issues splitting on the pipe character before.

And for the whitespaces, remove them after the split, with a trim for instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.