Something I'm working on - monster trees!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by deltahat, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

deltahat

It's still very alpha but the results are looking promising. I'm building a plugin that makes enormous procedurally generated trees. This one is about 100 blocks tall.

[​IMG]

blablubbabc and obnoxint like this.
  2. Offline

obnoxint

Wow, that's impressive. How random are they?

3. Offline

deltahat

Entirely random. Every tree comes from a different seed.

Any ideas for how I should integrate this technology into the game? My thoughts so far are:
    • As a block populator that makes groves of trees like this grow naturally in forests
    • As a administrative command to spawn a tree on demand
    • As a construction recipe, like a beacon
    What do you think?

4. Offline

obnoxint

I think an API to the features of the plugin should have high priority. The plugin should just be able to create the "structures" and provide an interface, for users and for other plugins. The plugin does the first two things and makes it possible for other plugins to create a tree under circumstances controlled by the 3rd party plugin.

You can add more tree types and optimize the populator in later versions.

PM me if you need help with the project. This looks very promising.

5. Offline

deltahat

The tree types are all configurable. The plugin is based off of a project called Arbaro, which is a Java implementation of the algorithms from Creation and Rendering of Realistic Trees by Jason Weber and Joseph Penn.

I took over the Arbaro rendering pipeline to render into Minecraft instead of png. Since the trees are represented mathematically, they are completely customizable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.