[SOLVED] Opaque Block ?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by rominos2, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

rominos2

Hi,
    I'm searching a method to know if the block is not opaque like flowers or toches.

The only way I've found for the moment is within spout but I don't know how to get a org.getspout.spoutapi.material.Block with a Bukkit Block

Any ideas ?
    And better than that, any solutions ? ^^

Thanks

2. This should do it:
    Code:java
    1. ((org.getspout.spoutapi.material.Block) block).isOpaque();

3. Offline

xpansive

Is there a way to do this without spout?

4. Offline

Baummann

This could work:
    Code:
    public boolean isOpaqueBlock(Block block) {
         Block block2 = new Location(block.getWorld(), block.getX(), block.getY() + 1, block.getZ());
         block2.setType(Material.setType(Material.REDSTONE_REPEATER_OFF)); //Redstone repeaters can't stay on non-opaque blocks
         block2.getState().update(true); //Make the repeater check if it can stay
         Bukkit.getServer().getScheduler().scheduleAsyncDelayedTask(plugin, new Runnable() {
                  public void run() {
                         switch (block2.getType()) {
                         case Material.AIR: //If the repeater is gone, it means the block is not opaque
                                       return false;
                         default: //Else the block is opaque
                                       block2.setType(Material.AIR); //Remove the repeater
                                       block2.getState().update(true); //Optional Block Update
                                       return true;
                         }
                  }
         }, 1); //Wait 1 tick before executing the code
         return false;
    }

5. Offline

sorklin

Aren't you calling bukkit methods from an aync thread, and isn't that a no-no?

6. Offline

Baummann

You can't call Bukkit methods from a sync thread, but in an async thread you can.

What do you exactly mean by no-no? That it always returns false?

Code:
    public boolean test() {
        boolean test = true;
        if (!test)
             return false; //Returns false and exits out of the method
        else
             return true; //Returns true and exits out of the method
    return false; //Only returns this when test == null
    }

7. Offline

sorklin

No-no means don't do it. Bukkit isn't thread safe, so you can only call bukkit methods from sync threads or the main thread. Async will crash your server, or corrupt your world (eventually).

8. Offline

Baummann

9. Offline

desht

@Baummann I'm afraid your method (though cunning in concept) simply won't work. You're trying to return true or false from the Runnable run() method, which is void. And in any case, even if it was possible for run() to return something, it's being called in the future, and it doesn't make sense to take the return value of something that hasn't actually run yet and then return that value from your method.

The only way to do this without Spout is to manually check for all the non-opaque block types. Ugly, but there you have it.

Darkman2412 likes this.
  10. Offline

rominos2

@desht
    @r3Fuze
    You're right. That's ugly

I can use Spout
    But how can I get a org.getspout.spoutapi.material.Block from a Bukkit Block
    Because I cannot cast.

Code:
    java.lang.ClassCastException: org.getspout.spout.block.SpoutCraftBlock cannot be cast to org.getspout.spoutapi.material.Block

11. Offline

Baummann

Code:
        boolean opaque = false;
        Block block2 = new Location(block.getWorld(), block.getX(), block.getY() + 1, block.getZ());
        block2.setType(Material.setType(Material.REDSTONE_REPEATER_OFF)); //Redstone repeaters can't stay on non-opaque blocks
        Bukkit.getServer().getScheduler().scheduleAsyncDelayedTask(plugin, new Runnable() {
                  public void run() {
                                      opaque = false;
                                      opaque = true;
                        }
                  }
        }, 1); //Wait 1 tick before executing the code
        return opaque;
    }
    Edited to (probably) work.

12. Nope, cause run() is executed one tick after the return of isOpaqueBlock, so isOpaqueBlock will always return false.

13. Offline

Afforess

((SpoutBlock)block).getBlockType()

All bukkit blocks can be cast to a SpoutBlock. Check the javadocs for a full list of methods.

14. Offline

xpansive

Okay guys here's the magical solution:
    world.getHandle().e(x, y, z)
    I'm pretty sure its isSolid not isOpaque though, so invert the output if you're checking for an opaque block.

15. Offline

rominos2

@Afforess
    I was searching for a org.getspout.spoutapi.material.Block
    not a SpoutBlock

@xpansive
    That's a good idea I'll test it right now

EDIT :
    In fact is there a link between opaque and snowable (possibility of putting snow on it) ?
    How can I get if a block is snowable or not ?

16. Offline

bleachisback

no, because opaque has to be final, in which case, you can't change it.[/CODE][/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

17. Offline

Brain

Perhaps you should bridle the horse from the other end.

Code:

return false;
                final Future future = Bukkit.getServer().getScheduler().callSyncMethod(plugin, new Callable<Boolean>() {
                    public Boolean call() {
                        return true;
                   }
                });
                return future.get();
         }
         return false;
    }
    This might need some fine-tuning bracket-wise (I'm not good at typing code in a variable-size font in a small text window), but it should make my point.
    You generate a synchronized call, get the future update and just wait for it to update. This is what the future.get() call without parameters does.

You need to synchronize write access and you should make the synchronized part as small as possible. Reading is non-critical if you can live with the occasional wrong value caused by a concurrent update while you read which is rather unlikely if the immediate surrounding world is static.
    However if this code is executed from the main thread - that is you didn't create any threads of your own - you don't need the sync calls at all.

Good luck!

P.S. Just noticed the 3rd and 4th line might need some synchronization too. Not going to change the code now.

18. Offline

Afforess

19. Offline

rominos2

@Afforess

Thanks man

@Others
    Thanks to but it's a little bit hard for something I want to schedule x100 / tick

20. 100 times a tick?!?! Thats about 2000 times a second, you know.

21. Offline

rominos2

I know.
    In fact the way I do it is functioning now
    I'll release it in my next Update if Seasons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.