So I was given a plugin to fix/add stuff

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Zarkopafilis, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Zarkopafilis

I saw a public static void main method inside - the dev said it would run 'faster' with this. Is there a point on doing that?

2. Offline

Zupsub

You can start the specific class as an normal java application. (if it has String[] as argument)

3. Offline

Rocoty

Zarkopafilis it won't run faster, no... I don't see a point in this.

4. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

wat

Gater12 likes this.
  5. Offline

Rocoty

6. Offline

ZeusAllMighty11

Why would you do that?

AoH_Ruthless likes this.
  7. Offline

Rocoty

8. Offline

Konkz

As said above it won't run faster but the original developer may of used 'static' so he can access it without making the instance of class. So he can do Utils.doMyMethod(); instead of Utils.getInstance().doMyMethod();

9. Offline

Zupsub

The method is named 'main'. So in 99,99% (or even 100%) it's for starting that class as a normal Java program.

Maybe the developer did this for testing the class (bad practice btw. (this main method for testing, not testing itself)), or he need it for debuggen or ... Of course the content of this method might be solve the question, or just asking the former dev.
    But, no, it's not quicker in any way.

10. Offline

Konkz

Oh, I misunderstood what he wrote. I though something else.

And perhaps the developers knowledge just did not expand far enough that he went with what worked and not what was efficient.

11. Offline

Zarkopafilis

Okay but I see no point in all this

12. Offline

1Rogue

Test cases for testing different aspects of the plugin without loading into a server

13. Offline

Zarkopafilis

Aw thats it xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.