Simple towns and colonies plugin

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by barrysmith, Jun 1, 2013.

?

Do you like the idea of a server such as the one in this thread?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2013.
  1. It's perfect

50.0%
  2. It's rubbish

50.0%
  3. It's good, but there are some things that need adjusting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tuesday.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Offline

barrysmith

Hello,

Yes I know these requests hardly ever get done. I also know that nobody is going to make a plugin on the whims of some forum freshman. I am not new to this whole forums thing. I've been using Bukkit for over a year, and know it pretty well.

Anyway. I am looking to set up a server. I'm not new to servers either. I used to own and run a pretty popular one known as Terrafirma. However, I had to shut it down because I had exams and didn't have time to maintain it. Now, I am looking to set up another one.

I have what I think (and quite a few people on MinecraftForums.net) is a quite clever but simple idea for how the server should run. Here it is:

This way of building a server comes with many advantages:
    - Resources are not consumed too quickly
    - The map can be custom, and can LAST, with lots of room for new players
    - Because building space is quite valuable, players are encouraged to make the best that they possibly can in terms of builds, rather than wasting space and spamming rubbish, half-hearted structures.
    - The effects of griefing will be minimal. To even edit blocks, a griefer has to first join a town by convincing the mayor that he is worthy - and even then he can only grief that town slightly before the mayor notices and he gets kicked. Either that, or he can make his own town and grief a 16x16 area of land. Yipee yoo. Not much of an accomplishment.

I hope you guys also think its a good idea. But to bring this to life, I need a plugin that can handle all of this. I've been looking around for ages, and although there are some that come close, (MyChunk, etc.) none of them fit the bill exactly. Towny is too complex, bloated, and doesn't actually have all of the needed features.

So here's a check-list of the features needed in the plugin:
    Potato!
    - Simplicity. Little or no commands maybe. Maybe use a special items like a wand to claim stuff and do actions?
    - Chunk-based town management. The towns can be simple - no need for plots inside and stuff, we presume that the mayor trusts the players.
    - Only a few mayor commands. Create the town, add chunks, invite players, kick player. That's it.
    - Ability to prevent building and mining anywhere except the players own town.
    - Integration with vault, and a few other economy plugins maybe. A town and its chunks cant be free, or everyone will be claiming chunks like crazy, and land will no longer be valuable.
    - Chunks can ONLY be claimed if they are next to an existing chunk belonging to that town.
    - No need for town taxes - the mayor can sort that out for himself - if players don't pay, he kicks them. Simple enough.
    - Also no need for any complex "Ally, Neutral" diplomacy stuff - no PVP exists, and if it did - the players decide who are their enemies.

That's pretty much it. A simple enough town plugin, but surprisingly no other town plugin exists with all that stuff!

Thanks for reading, I hope that someone might like the idea and decide to bring it to life by making a plugin. :)

- Barrysmith

2. Offline

ThrillMan16

dude... Towny

3. Offline

magicdrummer47

4. Offline

barrysmith

Towny just doesn't live up to what I need. Its far too complex, and not very adaptable in the way I need it to be.

When I said custom terrain, I meant that I have built custom terrain. I am well aware of the range of plugins that are available and what they are capable of :p

Thanks for replying though :)

- barrysmith

5. Offline

LlmDl

barrysmith

I'd argue that towny is very adaptable, you could do exactly what you want using Towny, just by setting up the config properly and then removing some permission nodes from the townyperms.yml file. When you disable things and disallow players from using some commands then the system you speak up is entirely doable. Plus down the road, if you find that you wanted another feature or two, chances are towny already does it and you don't have to call upon the developer of a custom plugin.

Join the Towny IRC if you want some guidance on setting it up this way.

6. Offline

barrysmith

Thanks for the tips :)