Solved Silly Question: How Do I Increase an Arrow's Damage?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by The Gaming Grunts, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone! So, I was just wondering how I can increase an arrow's damage. I've tried looking around, but couldn't find a straightforward answer. Thanks :)

2. Offline

SuperOmegaCow

3. Offline

HungerCraftNL

PHP:
    @EventHandler
    public void onDamage(EntityDamageByEntityEvent e){
      if(
    e.getEntity() instanceof Player && e.getDamager() instanceof Arrow){

Arrow a = (Arrowe.getEntity();
        if(
    a.getShooter() instanceof Player){

Player shooter = (Playera.getShooter();

//Code here

}
      }
    }
    You don't have to forget registering this event on your onEnable().

4. Offline

HungerCraftNL

No problem.

5. Offline

SuperOmegaCow

6. Offline

HungerCraftNL

What do you mean?

7. Offline

Gater12

HungerCraftNL
    Spoon feed is when we just out the blue give out code. Obviously we want to teach them something, but it's your choice if you want to give them the code and move on, or to at least get them to learn something.

8. Offline

HungerCraftNL

I've learned Java/Bukkit developing with looking into codes, and learning to try it by myself with messing arround with that codes. So you can learn from it, but you need the motivation to do it.

Gater12 likes this.
  9. SuperOmegaCow
    I already know Java and the Bukkit API very well, considering I've worked with it for about a year and a half at this point. Now, spoon feeding implies that it will affect one's ability to learn effectively. However, I feel that I am pretty well beyond that point. I knew what I had to do, just not how to do it and your answer wasn't really providing any information that I did not already know. Thanks for the help though :)

Benlewis9000 likes this.
  10. Offline

joulesbeef

SuperOmegaCow
    thats a crappy as hell attitude when someone is trying to get help. I get your point but it isnt your job to be a "teacher" and force people to "work" it out. Some people have other things to do as well and just want to solve a problem quick and not learn how to code better.
    It is people like you that make it so frustrating to find the help you need. And evne if you feel that way, JUST DONT REPLY.. dont attack someone for giving someone else the help they actually need.

11. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

joulesbeef
    Actually, if The Gaming Grunts wasn't proficient at Java and Bukkit like he already mentioned, (which can't really be easily deduced from the OP), SuperOmegaCow would be correct.

1. It is not a "crappy as hell attitude". This implies that SuperOmegaCow (Sorry for double tahg) is either derogatory, or mentions that the OP is unable to do anything. In fact, I feel it is the opposite. This is good encouragement for people who need help to try and problem solve by themselves. Maybe a prompt could have been given like "Can I see what you have tried?", but I disagree with your very strongly put words.
    2. It's nobody's "job" to be a teacher here. But technically, isn't everyone here that tries to help a teacher in some respect? You are a teacher for coming down on him hard because you are trying to explain what he did wrong, as did he. Even if it's misguided it's a teaching attempt.
    3. "Some people have other things to do as well and just want to solve a problem quick and not learn how to code better." This contradicts your first 6 words. That quote displays an extremely bad attitude to these forums and programming in general. People with this kind of attitude really aren't qualified to code in my opinion, and nobody deserves the easy way ... Click, Clicky
    4. "frustrating" : If you want to avoid frustration, don't take up programming, or any job or task that requires some level of skill.
    5. "JUST DONT REPLY.. dont attack someone for giving someone else the help they actually need." This whole comment is extremely hypocritical.

Skye and The Gaming Grunts like this.
  12. Offline

joulesbeef

as for encouragement, save that for progamming forums.. this is specifically about help for bukkit
    make a spoiler tag for people who are on the LEARNING path.. rather than people on the hack something together path.
    AND HE TOLD THE GUY WHO HELPED HE WAS WRONG.. sorry you can have your opinion but dont attack someone for helping. because many of us WANT THE QUICK ANSWER. I am not trying to get a job in programming.

he wasnt asking for lessons, he was asking for the answer to a problem
    HE ALSO COMPLAINED "I've tried looking around, but couldn't find a straightforward answer. Thanks :)"
    SO GIVING HIM A VAGUE,,, LEARN IT YOURSELF ANSWER.. ISNT HELPING THE DUDE.
    HE ASKED FOR A STRAIGHT ANSWER.. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SIMPLE FACT?
    First I have already said, I'm not trying to get into programming, but I can hack some programs.. I'm lookin for "a straightforward answer"
    LIKE OP ASKED FOR.. which yall demand that no one give him.
    SERIOUSLY DUDE.. I can make all life frustrating.. hell lets put mailboxes up in trees.. that would be fun to climb a tree every time for mail.. so your comment is pretty meaninglesss on the frustation.. YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE THIS MORE FRUSTRATING.. and no everyone is here to become an expert bukkit plugin maker, SOME OF US, like OP.. dont want to be TAUGHT.. tehy want the "STRAIGHT FORWARD ANSWER" you know like he actually asked for.

and not "here figure it out"
    if he wanted the "teaching and the here figure it out" he could have asked, "could you point me in the right direction" rather than saying "i have looked and looked and cant get a straight forward answer" he is complaining about what I JUST COMPLAINED ABOUT.

So sorry to disagree but some people dont want to be taught, and dont attack those helping those people who dont want to be taught, who specifically asked for a direct and straight forward, no beating arround the bush.. no here is a hint, go learn it yourself.. NO HE ASKED FOR AN ANSWER AND SOMEONE GAVE IT TO HIM.. and yall say HE IS WRONG FOR DOING SO.. and sorry but that is wrong for a help forum
    DONT WANT TO GIVE A STRAIGHT FORWARD ANSWER, THAN DONT REPLY IN A THREAD WHERE THE OP ASKED FOR ONE> Anyone can make life more frustrating by being a dick, that doesnt mean that it has to be. especially when someone ASKS YOU NOT TO BE. You know when I go in my bank and ask how much i can expect from the compound interest on my 1000 deposit in the christmas account, the teller doesnt hand me a formla and says 'work it out" no they tell me they could complain that I shouldnt bank if I dont want to do the math, but they arent jerks.

13. Offline

Skye

joulesbeef Do you have any idea how often we have to pass up responding to threads in this forum because people keep asking questions that have been answered countless times before, most of which can be easily figured out by anyone with basic programming skills and access to the Bukkit JavaDocs?

Spoon feeding people who aren't willing to put in the effort to learn has a snowball effect: The forum fills up with more and more basic questions, and the people who know the answers stop responding to them.

Is it too much to ask for an environment where someone who's always answering questions can receive answers to their own? BTW, SuperOmegaCow did provide a pretty straightforward answer.

AoH_Ruthless likes this.
  14. Just throwing my two cents in here, his response

actually isn't all that straightforward if you think about it, especially for someone who doesn't know what to do.

Btw, why did we have to dig up this almost-five-month-old thread? Kinda embarassing lol :)

15. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

The Gaming Grunts
    Actually, if you type his same answer into google, and append the words "how to check" in front of it, you instantly get a result (the first link is a Bukkit thread that kind of points you in the right direction) .. I didn't even notice that this was a necro post, I just responded to the post from today :p

16. AoH_Ruthless
    That never came up in my searches (at least from what I remember), but whatever it's all in the past now anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.