Sign Scripting

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by dark navi, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Offline

dark navi

I had an idea for plugin. Essentially, there would be a folder ('scripts'?) that would hold text files that had lines of code that could do various things. Then, in game, you could have a sign where the 4th (or any other) would be the name of the script, and when ever you clicked the sign, it would call the script.

Sort of like this:
    Line1: This is
    Line2: a sign that
    Line3: runs "testScript"
    Line4: testScript

Line for would become invisible once the sign is created, displaying a confirmation message.

This idea came from when I used to run a Maplestory private server. It used Lua to run NPC scripts. I think that using Lua would be a sweet idea here. If it is possible, Lua would enable very powerful scripts to be run.

Ideas for implementation:
    - have server-wide broadcasting messages.
    - have some sort of time delay.
    - per-group message.
    - per-user messages.
    - use commads, such as /time day or
    - have activation conditons (time, position, group, username)

Another part of this program would be to implement this some how into redstone circuits, so pressure plates, levers, and buttons can be used.

Any-who, that is what I was thinking of. If I was the half-decent logical person that I think I am, I would attempt this myself.

2. Offline

exrook

Great idea, this would be very useful on my private server, but instead of selecting one scripting language, let the user choose which languages to use by selecting which interpreter to use for each file type in a config file. The communication between the server and the script could be done over a specific port, over standard output & input, or with environment variables.

3. Offline

Bubby4j

I'm trying to work on a Lua one, but it might be a while. I plan on other languages in the future.