Should I Start a Minecraft Server?

Discussion in 'General Help' started by deadly124, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

deadly124

Hi, about a year ago I ran my own Minecraft Factions server. First few months it went great, players rolling in, but eventually it just died off... I was sad, but I let it go because players just stopped playing and I could no longer afford the monthly host bill.
    A year later, Minecraft has changed. There was the EULA change that mainly concerned me. To be quite honest, I have no idea if they will ever try to enforce this as much as they acted like they would. I'm seeing many servers just not giving it any piece of mind. Anyways, I really miss running a Minecraft server and was wondering should I start one again? I miss the players, fun times, but I do remember the hard work, time dedication, with little to no results. I've only run a Factions server, are they even popular anymore? Is Minecraft popular? I'm seeing hub servers with like 5 to 0 players on. I'm really tempted to start a minecraft server up, but maybe I shouldn't.
    Lastly, if your answer is YES, I should, I could use some guidance on any changes that have been made to minecraft, popular server types, and tips on running a Minecraft Server.

2. Offline

oceantheskatr

Well first off the EULA didn't change ;) They've just started "enforcing" it. Your server SHOULD follow it, as it would be against their EULA not to, however I will say that from what I see, no one cares about it. I haven't seen any servers get taken down by the "enforcing", but decide for yourself if you want to follow it or not.

It's really easy to find features that players will pay for that still follow the EULA. Pets, trails, hats, Giving the entire server a kit or fly (for a limited time) if someone donates, etc. You can Google "Minecraft EULA friendly donor perks" and come up with a great list.

From what I know, Factions is still pretty popular! I think that it's a bad idea to run a Minecraft server if you aren't able to pay for it without donations. Too many servers start up because the owner had an extra $30 and thought it'd be cool to make some money from donations, but they don't get enough to run the server and close it a month later. If you're able to pay it yourself month to month then don't worry about this. Use a host like http://professionalxen.com because it's only $4/GB and you get a recurring 10% off that with the coupon code "TheMineShack" so you'll save quite a bit of money. It's a very powerful host, I have 60 plugins (literally 60) on my Towny server and it runs just fine at 20TPS.

To do well you need to have a unique server that people will enjoy playing on. Mine isn't TOO unique, but does offer things that quite a few other Towny servers don't. First off, everyone has access to fly on my server. They also have a LOT of perks that normally people have to pay for. My donation ranks are quite cheap, the cheapest being $10 and is jam-packed with awesome perks that people enjoy. My server is also almost always up, unless I'm restarting it. It's also professionally managed (by myself, lol) since I have a LOT of experience with running servers and people like that professionalism, as well as well-picked staff members that aren't childish or immature.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.