**Severe** lag, client-side and remote

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by steven_archer, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

steven_archer

Okay, so to make sure the smart guys understand exactly what my issue is, I'm going to go through every piece of info I can give, referencing this post and its Numbered List:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/you-need-help-we-need-this-information-to-help-you.2018/

But the basic gist of my problem is that whenever anyone connects to my server, they get huge amounts of lag. And its not just internet connections; VPN connections get the same high-lag, and even 'localhost' gets it when a client connects to it on the same computer the server is running on.

1. OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
      _
    2. Architecture: 64-bit
      _
    3. Java version:
      Code:
      Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
      Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Rawr>java -version
      java version "1.6.0_25"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)
      _
    4. Wrappers: None, I think. Not really sure what a 'wrapper' is.
      _
    5. Bukkit Build:
      Code:
      [INFO] This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-729-g5ee3f0f-b766jnks (MC: 1.5_02)
      _
    6. Bukkit run command line:
      Saved as "run_Bukkit.bat" in my Bukkit directory:
      Code:
      @ECHO OFF
      SET BINDIR=%~dp0
      CD /D "%BINDIR%"
      java -Xincgc -Xmx2G -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
      PAUSE
      _
    7. Plugins:
      AdminCmd
      gravelclay1.2.5
      LWC
      mcMMO
      NoSpawn
      Permissions
      runecraft2.6.1
      SpyerAdmin
      SpyerFun
      teslacoil1.3.5
      Tombstone
      WeatherGod
      WorldEdit
      WorldGuard
      _
    8. Log Errors:
      None whatsoever.
      _
    9. Troubleshooting already attempted:

Tried running Bukkit with no plugins.
      Result: Still lots of lag.

Tried running the Vanilla Minecraft server with a copy of the Bukkit world.
      Result: No lag at all.

Tried running Bukkit with no plugins and Vanilla server, side-by-side, with a copy of the same world for both.
      Result: Lag on Bukkit. No lag on Vanilla.

Tried running the server with no internet or network connections enabled (and 'online mode = false').

Tried forcing the Minecraft client to update itself, and then connecting to the Bukkit server.
      _
    10. Already tried the listed steps. See above.
    So how do I get rid of the lag? Is Bukkit just inherently more laggy than Vanilla? Even with no plugins? I really hope not.. I want a server with plugins, but if Bukkit is more laggy than Vanilla with OR without plugins, what's the point? Is there a way to install plugins directly into Vanilla? Or is there a solution to the lag?

Please help if you can...

2. Offline

Pencil

What are your system specs?

3. Offline

liudsas

My server also lag

4. Offline

steven_archer

Does it make a difference? Vanilla runs fine, as I mentioned.
    Specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64-bit
    RAM: 4 GB
    CPU: Intel Core i5
    GPU: ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5470

5. Offline

Jeyge

Does a processor bound, moderate memory usage game depend on system specs? Yep.

I noticed from your other thread that you are running your server on your main machine that you also play from. Could it be possible that you are seeing your lag because you are running some other high cpu usage program?

6. Offline

Pencil

Yes it does, Bukkit is alot more CPU intensive than vanilla minecraft..... So you are using a laptop? Can't really expect much there...

7. Offline

steven_archer

Don't the specs speak for themselves? The stuff in my laptop is comparable to what most desktops have these days. And no its not something else running up my CPU, I made sure the task list was clean before doing my tests. Just because its a laptop doesn't mean it can't be as fully capable as any of your desktops.

8. Offline

Pencil

Yeah, they speak for themselves. The stuff in your laptop is not something I would call "comparable" to a desktop. i5 isn't that great in a laptop nor is that shitty mobile chip any good, you don't even have a good graphic card. It's a laptop and therefore does not have power a Desktop might provide, if you play at the same time aswell, no wonder there is lag!

9. Offline

Nathan C

Inter Core i5 430m (2.26GHZ, 3MB L3 cache)

Basically a dual core with HT.

Yeh, that is not going to run great.

10. Offline

Killburner

Are you using similar options in your batch file when starting the vanilla server? When you tested vanilla, were you also in game when the other players connected? Gotta make sure you're comparing apples/apples when testing or benchmarking.

Your laptop specs are fine for hosting, but obviously running the client on the same machine isn't advisable considering what a memory hog it is. Try dropping the reserved memory down to 1GB when starting bukkit (Xmx1G), and temporarily shut down any antivirus software while testing.

11. Offline

steven_archer

...First helpful advice anyone has offered yet on this thread. Thank you, I'll give it a shot. And yes I had friends test it out, they get the lag too.

12. Offline

Pencil

HaHa! Telling you it wont work wasn't helpful? Aww :/ ;D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.