Server world overwritten(!)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by ambientmf, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ambientmf

Hi guys,
    I've had to take my Bukkit server completely out of production because, for some reason, today after updating a few plugin config's, I booted up my server to this message at the very start of the command prompt window:
    The only plugin I probably changed was Permissions, 2.7.2, to update it for an error I was getting in MCDocs (I did not specify the suffix/prefix correctly, MCDocs was nagging me). Upon restarting my server, my entire world file got "overwritten" using the default terrain generator. I can post some Cartograph maps for comparison: basically, it re-regenerated the terrain, wiping out all my user's creation. Restoring a backup partially worked. (EDIT: Nope, same phenomenon!). I'm really stuck on where to go from here, the changes I made weren't reflected in the backup yet I'm still faced with this issue.

Update: Tried my last three days in backups and it's happening on all of them. That includes changes made or not made for the last three days which would've only included updating CraftBukkit to 733 - 735 (no plugin updates) - 740 (about half my plugins updated). I was able to restart the server if need be (which I did do at least twice) over those three days. Why is this still occuring?

2. Offline

Verrier

Is the world name in server.properties the same as your "world" folder you're copying from the backup? Or perhaps is there a seed defined in there?

Did you try going back to an older craftbukkit and see if the issue still occurs? Find out which build starts the behavior with no plugins installed

3. Offline

TnT

We need more information. What is your directory (folder) structure like? How are you starting your server? Are you starting your server from a shortcut somewhere? We need more details to find what you're doing wrong so we can point you in the right direction.

4. Offline

ambientmf

Sorry for the lack of information. I'll post the run-down of my server:

Running off of my home desktop, Windows 7 Pro x64 w/ latest Java.
    Got a folder on my desktop (IT pro FTW!) that contains all my Bukkit server files. The path is C:\Users\<MyUserNoSpaces>\Desktop\BukkitServerCurrent (I also have a BukkitServerTest folder).
    I added the path to Java on my system PATH so I didn't have to specify the path to java in my batch files.
    Speaking of which, have the server launching from a batch file with the following parameters:
    I have this batch file residing in my "root" bukkit server directory. I rename all the craftbukkit snapshots to simply "craftbukkit.jar".
    My server.properties is below. Note, this hasn't changed since I started using Bukkit (besides adding in lines like level-seed=, white-list=false with the MC updates):
    I've tried the last 3 Bukkit builds from backup. all of them have the same issue. 740 being the most recent as of three days ago, then 735 before that and 733 shortly before that. I restored a backup from 617 and did NOT encounter the same issue.

I don't think it's a conflict with plugins or anything (I backup the entire folder so nothing is neglected backup to backup) but here's a list of plugins running as of the last three builds:
    • Essentials
    • LWC
    • BigBrother
    • Minecart Mania (+Autocart, Stations & Sign Commands)
    • MCDocs
    • MyHome
    • SimpleNether (removed after 733)
    • Permissions
    • SpawnControl
    • Tele++
    • Whitelist
    • dynmap (removed after 733)
    If it may help, I can post my pertinent plugin configs such as Essentials and Permissions. However, as I said, my backups contain the configs as they were at the time of the backup so any changes would have been rollbacked when restoring and testing out this issue. Yet I still encounter it with 733+ builds. The server was running, with full stop and starts/resets, with NO issues. This all started as of yesterday evening. Even the backup from that morning was "re-gen'ing" my world file. So odd. ><

If anyone neeeds to see plugin-specific configs or anything else, I'll post it as soon as I can (probably tomorrow after work). Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

5. Offline

Verrier

How large are your backup zips? Are you comfortable / able to upload them so that we can try to take a look in more detail? What you described seems to be fine from what I can see

6. Offline

ambientmf

My backups are 200MB, but because I have cartograph world maps in the same folder. Without the cartograph PNG's, my backups are 80-100MB. I'm uploading them as I write this post and I'll edit this post to reflect my uploading of the backups. I just took out my "cartograph" dir and re-archived them. All of them are RAR archives FYI. I may not get to all the upload links tonight because I have an early start (in t-minus 5 hours x.x) tomorrow.

<Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

EDIT: Geezus, forgot to test without plugins. That'll be for tomorrow *sigh*.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  7. Offline

Verrier

I tested briefly, it looks like it has something to do with your world folder, not plugins (tested without plugins)

Running the latest server (build 755) with your 4-25 world works fine, running the latest server with the 4-28 world causes it to be regenerated. My guess is something got messed up in your world which causes the server to fail to detect the world existing. I tried replacing the 4-28 level.dat files, but they're exactly the same and that's not the cause, I imagine it's one of the chunks. I also tried running chunkster but it couldn't find anything either. I'm not able to dive into exactly why it's doing what it's doing right now unfortunately. But I can try to take a look into it over the next couple days if you would like.

Your best short term solution is probably just roll back to the 4-25 backup and start playing from that, make sure your backup process creates valid backups too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  8. Offline

TnT

Doubt this will change anything, but try this batch file instead:
    Code:
    @echo OFF
    title Bukkit Server [STABLE] craftbukkit build 740
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1G -jar craftbukkit.jar

All I did was strip the path off your craftbukkit.jar. No reason to have it in there as your batch file should be in the same folder as your craftbukkit.jar.

9. Offline

ambientmf

Found the solution: completely obvious and I'm ashamed I didn't think of this when I started doing regular scheduled backups.
    The server...was running during the backups. So basically, what I believed happen, was the backup ran but skipped the "in-use" region files. So I basically had incomplete world files in my backup and it broke my world in the next reset. *shrug*

I rollbacked to the last working world. I have to rethink my backup strategy. :(

Yeah, probably don't need the relative path in there. I think I just made line out of habit. :p[/code][/SIZE][/quote]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.