Server wont start after updating java to 1.8

Discussion in 'General Help' started by GETLOWDUDE, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

GETLOWDUDE

*SOLVED* Please Lock

So i was having a problem with some plugins not working and i found a had a old version of java of 1.6, this video told me that i need to delete what ever file of 1.6 and install java again.

Ok so i did that and now my server wont start at all heres what happens
    http://gyazo.com/2a97279ca979e0abcda08be75feceeb9

Please help! i dont know what to do ;(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Offline

oceantheskatr

3. Offline

Boomer

and then you also need to update the java-launch string in your BAT file or startup script to point to the new java location, you may have left the old path in place still.

4. Offline

GETLOWDUDE

I installed it again and it didnt change anything ;( @oceantheskatr

This is my start launcher, it worked before i updated java, http://gyazo.com/fe6149affab68f94d58d6403f32542fc
    This is on Mac @Boomer

Please anyone help ;(

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Offline

Boomer

your error also says that it can't make sense of the command "java" ; where it knows to look for an executable called 'java', it is unable to find a program by that name. It may not know where to look anymore, or it may be looking in the wrong places.

That means one of the following:
    1) You didn't actually install java
    2) The java program is no longer just called java for the 1.8 version
    3) The java environment path is pointing to the old folder or deleted, and needs to be added
    4) You need to fully qualify the location of the java program in your command line

6. Offline

GETLOWDUDE

i installed java twice ;( You told me whats wrong, How do i fix it? @Boomer

@oceantheskatr i did and its a Mac

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

7. Offline

Boomer

http://javatechig.com/java/core-java/set-java_home-environment-variable-mac-os-x

Try something like this. Basically, the computer either has an environment variable shortcut for Java_home where it looks to run java, and that variable is pointing to the old folder location which is empty... or it has been erased, and not reset with your installation.

I'm also not sure if this will work - I dont use mac os - nor know if the java 8 is installed differently from java 7 had been, but its a starting point.

Failing that, use hints from that site to navigate around on your system and find the java executable file and then change your

java blah blah command line to be

/the/full/path/to/where/java/is/java blah blah in your launcher script

8. Offline

GETLOWDUDE

@Boomer
    When i do the first step it says
    http://gyazo.com/fe5a88abddc24ebf75cf5aeaa01a3745
    ;(

9. Offline

Boomer

We can play this game for a week, where you say 'didn't work' and i find anothe rlink for you to try...
    or you can use the information given to try to find a bunch of google links that will let you try repeatedly rapid fire one after another things that are dealing with java_home , or finding your java pathway, etc

I suggest you do the latter

I would go straight for "GET THE DANG FULL PATH FOR IT" and put that into your starting script, since you're not using java for a thousand things.. just the one. So you dont need to worry about making a computer-happy setup, just a startup-script happy setup

10. Offline

GETLOWDUDE

@Boomer i understand, i fnally found java location

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

Please bare with me i only wana fix this, not make u mad. Where does this path go in the start command for the server?

11. Offline

Boomer

it would go where HERE is in bold provided that the final java underlined is the name of the executable file, and not a folder. if it is a folder that has a file called java in it, then it would be like the second

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -blahblah craftbukkit.jar ...etcetc

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java/
    java -blahblah craftbukkit.jar ..etc

I would think.. I am not 100% sure if it can start like that or needs a more absolute start point.

However, I also think that the java location you pointed to is likely wrong, and may not work. Typically a java SDK or jre path is involved, while you have pointed to an applet executer. I dont know if its the same thing or not. Also, java8 could have been installed a couple different ways on your computer, further complicating the matter.

But the Library would be the correct starting point for navigating. I also dont know if mac hides folders from the user or not, if there is a way to view invisible folders, it may require navigating through an invisible folder location to jump to the final visible location, much as navigating to the .minecraft often requires jumping through an invisible folder if you go directly from the top, or knowing the location of a nicknamed folder below it to use as starting that the computer knows is located in the invisible folder...

12. Offline

GETLOWDUDE

@Boomer Alright i guess it was the wrong path cause the path didnt work. Theres a folder called Oracle i found with a folder called java but when i used the path /Library/Application Support/Oracle/java it says
    http://gyazo.com/2905c5182fccd49b528991012cff8b59
    This is making me mad ;( i shouldnt of updated java ;(

@Boomer This is what the folders look like
    http://gyazo.com/c1ceec5840851977686a3624798463be

@Boomer I fixed it! i deleted anything that said java and installed again and it worked! Thank you for the help! you dont have to reply

*Solved*

13. Offline

oceantheskatr

Make sure to mark your thread as solved! :) For more information, see my signature!

14. Offline

Boomer

Most excellent that you found the solution on your own, and are off and running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.