Server using too much ram D:

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by gogobebe2, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

gogobebe2

Well I have a computer dedicated just to the server. 12gb. I've allocated 10gb to the Run.bat file that starts the server to give the computer 2gb to actually run (Because a computer should always have a little ram to run and the rest to give to applications - tell me if I'm wrong). But anyway, the computer is windows 7, I have the little desktop gadget that tells me the amount of ram the computer is using and it goes up to 98%!! I do not think this is normal. Nearly everyday I have to just restart the server to get the ram a little lower because I've noticed that when I start my server up, it's only using around 20 - 30% of ram and over time it goes higher and higher and higher and eventually it crashes. I think this is to do with the fact that bukkit stores the ram and doesn't dump unused ram and it just stores it up untill it is full so it just crashes. I don't have too much knowledge on how bukkit and java work so all my ideas of what is causing the server to use so much ram and crash could be a load of crap lol, but if anyone has any ideas, it would be much appreciated.

P.s: maybe it's a plugin? Here is a list of plugins on my server:
    [​IMG]

P.S.S: Some plugins aren't up to date yet.

2. Offline

Dpasi314

gogobebe2
    When you say that some plugins are not up to date it leads me to think you've been running your server for some time. Has this happened to you before, has it ever stopped? Or is this the first time this has happened?

3. Offline

gogobebe2

Your right, the server has been running since August this year. I don't really remember when it started. But no it wasn't always like this.

4. Offline

jacklin213

Did this start to happen when u upgraded to 1.6+

5. Offline

Dpasi314

So, this makes me think that it's a plugin or a memory leak. Ah now that I look at it, remove the Citizens plugin, then see what happens. When ever I installed Citizens my RAM would skyrocket. If the doesn't work remove all the plugins and see if it is still there, then upload one plugin at a time and see if the problem still persists. Albeit, not the easiest way to go about it, but it will pinpoint the source of the problem.

6. Offline

gogobebe2

Thanks a lot! This really helps. :)

It's being doing this since around 1.5 or 1.4 I think, sorry I can't remember

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
  7. Offline

Dpasi314

Sure thing!

8. Offline

Jade

Bukkit isn't in charge of cleaning up its RAM, beyond what the vanilla server offers, along with the API. The plugins themselves are the cause of your issue. Also, Bukkit doesn't clean it out itself, it's put aside for garbage collection by Java.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.