Server Question..

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Ahfaichucky, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ahfaichucky

I'm planning to get a windows dedicated server soon. Here are the specs.
    • Two Intel Xeon X5675 processors (twelve physical 3.06ghz cores on QPI + hyperthreading + turbo->3.46ghz)
    • 48 GB registered DDR3 ECC memory
    • Four 1000 GB SATA drives in RAID 10
    • 15000 GB of premium bandwidth
    will cost me around 600+ per month. I'm planning to run around 4 minecraft servers on that box & move my website, forums, irc & teamspeak on the box. Should i hire someone to tweak the server so i could utilise every resources toward minecraft? and how much players can bukkit support on one instance of craftbukkit? Thanks

2. craftbukkit can theoretically support as many players as you would like on a server. on thing to note:
    craftbukkit is much more memory intensive than cpu intensive. sure, having a big cpu is nice, but for craftbukkit ram is everything.

3. Offline

Ahfaichucky

is i/o speed an issue too? i have cant keep up issue on my current box...

4. how much memory(on current box)
    RAM Disks work fine..

5. Offline

Ahfaichucky

just 6gb on current box, i'm moving to the new box this weekend....raid 10 sata isnt enough? or do i get raid 1 sas? cause the host is requiring which i want & i have no idea cause i'm new to raid setups.

6. Offline

Phaedrus

How much upstream bandwidth are you getting in MB/s? That's likely to be the limiting factor here.

You're definitely going to want to tune the garbage collectors for each instance so they aren't stepping on each others cores.

4 Servers might be too much to ask for once you add in everything else you've listed and mySQL as well. But that is going to depend on the user load for each server.

Can I ask how you plan on recouping 600+$ a month for all this?

Go Raid 10

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  7. Offline

Ahfaichucky

dedicated 1000BaseTX (gigabit, full duplex) switch port, bandwidth from internap, i cant test upstream speed yet cause server hasnt arrived yet, will update when its arrived. Me & a friend of mine are working part time on some days & earn about $600 each, we split the cost 50/50, i plan on making this a non donation server..One more thing, i've been reading the forum for ways to optimize a server & saw somewhere that says craftbukkit uses only one core?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.