Server properties file modification

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Obsidian, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Obsidian

Crossposting from the github issue I opened ---

A bit of a user-level request.
    Zero modifications should be made to the server.properties file whatsoever.
    Reasons why, are that upon installation of the server mod, the properties file, as it was set up by the server administrator, will not be altered in any way. In hMod, on installation and update, the server.properties file would be modified by the mod -- all comments placed by would be stripped without the server administrator's consent. I'm not sure about others, but before updating hMod, I had some settings commented out for later reference (and re-enabling later) and they were stripped out. Pissed me off to no end.
    Keeping the mod specific properties in a separate file is a lot better for everyone in the end, IMO.

Jimpi likes this.
  2. Offline

Jimpi

+++KUDOS

I totally agree with you.

3. Offline

matejdro

+1

I hate when my commented out lines get deleted.

4. I think this is a brilliant idea
    I also think instead of every plugin creating their own properties file there should be one plugin.properties file which in turn might help inter-plugin intetaction/ compatibility issues as a plugin could disable a function if it conflicts with another functipn if it detects a setting to do with the conflicting function

5. Offline

hey0

I don't think they'll be using server.properties, nor using .properties files at all.

6. Offline

Obsidian

That'd be nice.

What format is the settings file going to be then, if anyone knows?
    I've seen quite a bit floating around about YAML being used for plugin schemas, so I'm wondering if that's what will be used as well for the global settings file.
    And there probably would need to be a global settings file, if just for storing database connection parameters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.