Server Overload?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Nikve, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Nikve

I am consitnatly getting this error:
    Is there a way to fix this?

Windows 7 Ultimate
    64 Bit OS
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.21GHz
    6GB RAM
    Java Version 1.7.0
    Bukkit 1185

Server Log
    http://pastebin.com/ddTVGkTh

I am starting the server with batch file called run.bat:
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    IF /I "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE:~-2%"=="64" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar "%~dp0craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar"
    IF /I "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE:~-2%"=="86"  java -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar "%~dp0craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar"
    PAUSE

2. Offline

bastion

yes get obu shut the hell up, it is a plugin, it will stop that spam.

I am using in on 1185 and it works great.

3. Offline

Nikve

Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I'm looking for.
    I want to fix the problem, not ignore it.

4. Offline

wassilij

Try to disable all plugin .. if then there are no "Cant keep up" messages you found the problem :)

5. Offline

Darq

The message will start showing the second the thread that your Minecraft server is running on hits 100%. With my experience with that CPU, could get about 13 players before the message started, but could go onwards to 55 players without much lag. I think I was getting around 10-15TPS.

6. Offline

bastion

Based on my experience running servers for a year, there is no way to "fix the problem" you can minimize it by using tmpfs/ramdrive for your world/worlds, most of the time the issue is an i/o speed issue accessing the disk for chunk load, i run 2 separate servers one is hosted with a 15k rpm disk, still happens, the other I host on a machine with 16gb ddr3 1600 ram, amd black 955 quad core, 1 tb sata 3gb 7500 rpm disk drive, worlds are on tmpfs/ramdrive so there is no i/o speed issue and it still happens. I use ubuntu server 11.04 on both servers, I have used ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 at different times, still happens.

If you find a way to fix the problem please let me know. I use obu to stop the spam, the message has no affect on game play, which is why i use obu.

As far as the cpu I rarely run more than 25% of capacity, which means 100% of a total 400%, of course amd uses threading quite effectively so none of my cores are ever pegged unless I'm doing a large world edit command or running maps which typically do not run on the same thread as minecraft, for the most part though none of the cores ever gets any where near 100%. Some folks have reported high cpu usage over the last year, that has never been an issue for me.

I'm not going to be a server snob and tell u it is probably windows, but windows is not really the most effective or efficient os for running a minecraft server, I tried running it on a windows vista machine and found it to be rather troublesome, just my 2 cents on that one.

7. Offline

Nikve

It's not a deadicated server, It's my personal computer. I don't have the money to buy a real server so I use my computer. I game a lot so I like to run windows.

8. Offline

bastion

I totally understand, I am not down on windows at all, its just for servers windows can leave alot to be desired. Adding that other tidbit into the mix though, you are playing on the same machine you or hosting on, that is going to eat alot of your resources, you have enough ram to do it and the cpu should be able to handle it, your video card is going to be important but i would guess u have one with at least 1gb of ram on it. More than likely you will not be able to make the warning stop, you should try to do ramdrive for your worlds, and depending on your upload speed you may have to limit how many players you allow on ur server, my guess would be around 6 or 7 at a time with out too much lag.

I also looked at your log, get rid of big brother it is a resource hog, go to logblock or one of the other lighter weight anti greifing plugins. also update all your essentials to the same version, you are using 2.5.8 for some and 2.6.1 for others. get rid of essentials protect, you are using world guard which does everything the protect plugin does, no need for both of them. if you dont use xmpp and geoid get rid of them as well. You should also update your permissions to PermissionsEX, group manager is way old and not that great anyway.

There are also new versions of world edit and world guard out as of yesterday, world edit is now 4.7 and world guard is 5.3. just so you know.

Good luck and I would add obu shut the hell up if the spam bothers you, at this point I can pretty much tell you there is no way to get rid of the warning.

9. Offline

tremor

I have this on a VPS:

Code:
    PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND

3665  4.5 13.1 1124480 551784 ?      Sl   09:24   8:45 java -Xms512M -Xmx768M -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

8181  202 31.1 1507188 1306116 ?     Sl   12:31   9:44 java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -Djline.terminal=jline.UnsupportedTerminal -jar /home/dream/mcraft/craftbukkit.jar nogui

The first line is my creative server idling with no players using just 4.5% CPU

The second one is my SMP server with 20/20 players using 200% CPU and likely to freeze my vps within an hour.

---- ya.. 10 months ago in ALPHA on hMod this same server ran a 100 player server.. now i'm down to 20 if i'm lucky.

10. Offline

Acrobot

Your startup script is wrong. It gives just 1GB of ram for your server, also - it uses x86 java. Download x64 java, then change your script to:
    Code:
    java -server -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar

If it doesn't work, do:
    Code:
    java -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-snapshot.jar

This will (hopefully) use as much ram as it can. If you want to limit it, just add -Xmx4G (for 4 GB) just before the -jar

Nikve likes this.
  11. Offline

Nikve

Would the ram be purely for java or will it still work with other processes, this is my personal computer not a dedicated server.

12. Offline

Acrobot

@Nikve
    The ram will be the MAXIMUM amount it'll use - it's still work with other processes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.